Offseason Trade Pondering

Roll Tide

23 minutes ago, Jagwar said:

Seems to me like you just like being combative with me no matter what I post. 

I'm only suggesting that it might be appropriate to trade each of them for prospects that might be low risk high reward. Give me 5-6 international pitchers under the age of 18 who might turn into something. 

I'm not targeting you.  I don't even pay attention to whom I'm responding to probably 75% of the time.

The idea that one team could somehow make use of all three of them seems farfetched.  Which was kinda the point you were making???

The other part was directed at SG and his crusade to trade Mountcastle as much as you, or the OH in general.  Folks here LOVE trying to trade players they personally don't want on the team for value.  It's hardly ever a guy that would rather keep and having to make the tough decision.

14 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I'm not targeting you.  I don't even pay attention to whom I'm responding to probably 75% of the time.

The idea that one team could somehow make use of all three of them seems farfetched.  Which was kinda the point you were making???

The other part was directed at SG and his crusade to trade Mountcastle as much as you, or the OH in general.  Folks here LOVE trying to trade players they personally don't want on the team for value.  It's hardly ever a guy that would rather keep and having to make the tough decision.

I'm not on any crusade to do anything. I just care about what might improve the team.  If that means trading someone for the overall health of the organization, I'm all for it. 

2 hours ago, Jagwar said:

What reliever do you think they could bring back?

Who knows.  Lots of possibilities. There could be another trade like the Hays trade.  Or maybe you can get a ML ready arm that profiles as a high end reliever.

I don’t think that you will get a proven lock down guy but that doesn’t mean you can’t get someone that will end up a big contributor.

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

You mean like how the Os dealt guys like Hays, Stowers and Norby?  Yea, guys who are good depth but guys we can stand to trade are guys I want to trade….and obviously Elias feels similarly.

These guys carry value. The level of value depends on the player and you can debate the value of return but yes, you absolutely should trade out of depth and trade guys that perhaps that don’t match your team philosophies.  That’s what teams do.

7 hours ago, Jagwar said:

Maybe trade Mountcastle... or Mullins... or Urias... or all of them... for a bunch of lottery ticket pitching prospects? Or am I setting my sights too low?  

I don't see the O's trading Mullins without getting a replacement for him from somewhere.  It's doubtful we have anyone in the minors yet ready to step in for him.  Maybe the same for Urias since he's the perfect backup infielder.  I think Mateo and Mountcastle are more likely to be traded.

6 hours ago, Jagwar said:

What reliever do you think they could bring back?

I really don’t see the point of trading Mullins, or even Mountcastle for a reliever. We need Mullins definitely, especially with Santander being a FA. 

What good is a reliever if you can’t get a lead?  I just don’t like trading everyday players for relievers, especially when we have a good looking pen next year pre deadline, and what reliever would Mounty/Mullins even buy. Would that reliever even be an upgrade over what we already have?

At this point, I’m thinking Mounty goes for some sort of RHH COF. 

8 hours ago, EddeeEddee said:

I don't see the O's trading Mullins without getting a replacement for him from somewhere.  It's doubtful we have anyone in the minors yet ready to step in for him.  Maybe the same for Urias since he's the perfect backup infielder.  I think Mateo and Mountcastle are more likely to be traded.

I agree …but Bradfield had a .791 OPS at AA. So he may not be far away.

4 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I really don’t see the point of trading Mullins, or even Mountcastle for a reliever. We need Mullins definitely, especially with Santander being a FA. 

What good is a reliever if you can’t get a lead?  I just don’t like trading everyday players for relievers, especially when we have a good looking pen next year pre deadline, and what reliever would Mounty/Mullins even buy. Would that reliever even be an upgrade over what we already have?

At this point, I’m thinking Mounty goes for some sort of RHH COF. 

I actually didn't suggest a reliever as the return, that was SG. I was thinking more about trading veterans to acquire pitching prospects, probably lower level lottery tickets. I'd rather pick up ML roster pieces through free agency (assuming of course that Rubenstein will allow a significant payroll boost.).

18 hours ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

Good luck with that.  Robert is coming off a .657 OPS season.  Probably not worth trading him especially since he will be playing on a $15 million option.  Most teams aren't going to offer more than salary relief and marginal prospects.  I just don't see the O's giving up what Getz will see as fair value.  Best bet for the WS is to hope he rebounds and trade him at 2025 trade deadline.  

I agree that holding on to Robert and hoping for a rebound season to rebuild his trade value is their best course of action right now. He's an MVP level talent when healthy and firing on all cylinders.