All in on our future

Big Al

I get it.    Following last year’s 101 win best record in the AL regular season, this year’s 23-6 spring training, the Tides 2023 AAA championship, our wealth of young talent and our first half of this season, expectations were rightfully optimistic.  The way this season ended was abrupt, unacceptable and a real gut punch.  Our inability to advance runners in both the playoffs and the second half of the season was extremely frustrating.  But I don’t feel we need to throw the proverbial baby out with the bathwater.  Certainly there are tweaks and adjustments to be made.  However I wouldn’t trade our future five year prospectus for any of the other 29 MLB organizations. 

I was at the game one wildcard 1-0 shutout.  I was also at the last two 2014 ALCS games in Kansas City.  And while they all hurt tremendously, 2014 felt as if we had a window where the Royals pushed us out of the way, climbed through, slammed it shut and locked it.  This year KC may have cut in front of us, but that window is still wide open.  And with our front office and new ownership.  I don’t see any indication it will be closing anytime soon.

• Upvote 1

I don't recall a feeling that the window had shut after 2014. I think many people thought more bright days were ahead. A parallel you could make to 2024 is that a couple key players were leaving in FA (Markakis/Cruz) but a couple others were expected to return from injury after being absent from the second half and postseason (Machado/Wieters). 

I agree that the O's are still positioned very well for the coming years. But their hold is not as secure as it was six months ago. Elias needs to do a better job than Duquette did at supplementing the contending core-- I think the highest profile acquisition between '14 and '15 was Travis Snider? Hopefully the new ownership group helps. 

2 minutes ago, Satyr3206 said:

They need to learn how to play small ball sometimes. Launch angles mean nothing if you don't hit the ball.

You know, you're hardly alone in this, but this is such a stupid, lazy take it deserved to be called out.

The 2024 Orioles were in addition to 2nd in runs scored in the AL, 3 in BA,  6 in 2bs, 3 in 3bs, 7 in SBs (despite their best basestealer missing the last 2+ months of the season) and only 8 in Ks.

That they were a bad base running team, that they were station to station, that they were a three outcome team, is simply NOT TRUE and DEMONSTRABLY SO.

Not matter how much you, or others, want to "reeehhhhhhhhhh" about two games in October.

35 minutes ago, Big Al said:

I get it.    Following last year’s 101 win best record in the AL regular season, this year’s 23-6 spring training, the Tides 2023 AAA championship, our wealth of young talent and our first half of this season, expectations were rightfully optimistic.  The way this season ended was abrupt, unacceptable and a real gut punch.  Our inability to advance runners in both the playoffs and the second half of the season was extremely frustrating.  But I don’t feel we need to throw the proverbial baby out with the bathwater.  Certainly there are tweaks and adjustments to be made.  However I wouldn’t trade our future five year prospectus for any of the other 29 MLB organizations. 

I was at the game one wildcard 1-0 shutout.  I was also at the last two 2014 ALCS games in Kansas City.  And while they all hurt tremendously, 2014 felt as if we had a window where the Royals pushed us out of the way, climbed through, slammed it shut and locked it.  This year KC may have cut in front of us, but that window is still wide open.  And with our front office and new ownership.  I don’t see any indication it will be closing anytime soon.

This team is still very well positioned for the future; as you said, probably as well as any team in the American league.

I don't expect massive changes this off-season, be it philosophical or roster-wise, and frankly, calling for such is foolish.

I'm still all in, sure. 

I think we have to acknowledge some issues, mainly Adley, because he acted as our clutch "not trying to do too much/hit it the other way/take walks" guy, and that guy went poof. And those are precisely the things everyone struggled with, so in a sense it trickled down. I think it starts and ends with Adley, I really do. 

I am bullish on Holliday and his swing tweak that came approximately 2 months too late. That alone might justify Fuller and Borgschulte being gone. I hope Holliday gets his buddy Kjerstad to do the same this offseason. 

I like the pitching staff with some key additions this off-season. Elias better not get caught counting on Felix, though. Not after the Kimbrel ordeal. Go get a Tanner Scott type, preferably two. 

It's amazing how time can sooth your wounds. I've gone from "pissed' to mildly irratated and looking forward to spring training and a new season. Lot of "ifs" but they are legitimate "ifs" and not wild ass hopes. IMO, we have a competative team right now and that was Elias's promise.  Now, I'm anxiious to see what Elias and ownership do to take us to the next level. There will be change. 

This team was below the AL average for Productive Out Percentage in 11th place.  KC and Guardians were #1 and #2.  

Below average in sacrifice bunt success rate.  3rd to last in sac bunts attempted.  (KC, Cleveland near the top).  

4th from the bottom in plate appearances with less than 2 outs, runner on 3rd and runner scored.  (Tigers and KC 1 and 2)

Below league average in strikeout %.