Mountcastle for Robbie Ray: Who says "No"?

sportsfan8703

Ray is owed 2yr/50 million.  He had his ups and downs last season after coming back from TJ.  $25 million for 2025, and 2026, might be a contract that makes sense for us if we lose Burnes.  Ray is also a former CYA winner.  

Ray comes with risk, but he's LH and the commitment is only 2 years.  LH with our WALL.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/r/rayro02.shtml

The Giants seem to be always searching for more offense.  At 1B, they currently have Lamonte Wade.  He's a LHH.  

Thoughts?

Edited by sportsfan8703

17 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Ray is owed 2yr/50 million.  He had his ups and downs last season after coming back from TJ.  $25 million for 2025, and 2026, might be a contract that makes sense for us if we lose Burnes.  Ray is also a former CYA winner.  

Ray comes with risk, but he's LH and the commitment is only 2 years.  LH with our WALL.

The Giants seem to be always searching for more offense.  At 1B, they currently have Lamonte Wade.  He's a LHH.  

Thoughts?

Maybe if they throw in Lemonte Wade and pay 90% of Ray's salary

21 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Hopefully the Os

He checks a lot of boxes.

LH - Check

Low WHIP - Check

K's - Check

Short Term Commitment - Check

AL and AL East Experience - Check

It's not a bad alternative if we lose Burnes.  Gotta love the 2 year commitment.  I was looking at Snell, and thought Ray would be a pretty fair deal.  From our perspective, it would be resource allocation.  We don't pay Burnes that $40 million per year or whatever crazy figure he'll get.  We take some risk, but we get a TOR LH SP potentially, and we have Mayo that we have to ride with eventually.  He doesn't have anything in AAA to prove.  Plus, Basallo looms.  

I can see Yes from both side, or No.  

Edited by sportsfan8703

31 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Thoughts?

Interesting idea. 

Ray is 33 yo. but will play almost all of 2025 at that age.

Unfortunately he has thrown a grand total of 34 IP in the last 2 years.

However, according to Baseball Savant, his average FB in 2024 was 94.1 mph which is pretty close to where he was (94.8) in 2021 when he won his AL CYA with Toronto.

Both his 4SFB and his SL were really good in 2024 (I know SSS but I'm trying to be positive):

4SFB .167/.187/.367 with 22 Ks and a 26.4 Whiff%

SL .148/.136/.222  with 13 Ks and a 45.8 Whiff%

So there's a good chance the stuff might be back to MLB ready. 

If the SFG pick up some of his salary, I'm thinking 50%, he might be a very interesting gamble. 

Not certain I trade Mounty for him. 

Ray has pitched 34 innings combined the last 2 years and you’re fine with paying him 50mill..? If he was a free agent he would be looking at 1 year 4-5mill with incentives.

Elias isn’t even considering it anyway unless SF kicks in 40mill or so and thus it’s a moot point.

1 minute ago, KojiSplit said:

Ray has pitched 34 innings combined the last 2 years and you’re fine with paying him 50mill..? If he was a free agent he would be looking at 1 year 4-5mill with incentives.

Elias isn’t even considering it anyway unless SF kicks in 40mill or so and thus it’s a moot point.

Some folks really want Mountcastle off the team.

22 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

He checks a lot of boxes.

LH - Check

Low WHIP - Check

K's - Check

Short Term Commitment - Check

AL and AL East Experience - Check

It's not a bad alternative if we lose Burnes.  Gotta love the 2 year commitment.  I was looking at Snell, and thought Ray would be a pretty fair deal.  From our perspective, it would be resource allocation.  We don't pay Burnes that $40 million per year or whatever crazy figure he'll get.  We take some risk, but we get a TOR LH SP potentially, and we have Mayo that we have to ride with eventually.  He doesn't have anything in AAA to prove.  Plus, Basallo looms.  

I can see Yes from both side, or No.  

Zero chance the Os say yes to this.