A debate that should be interesting???

Flosman

I scrolled down below where it said he hit one 418 against Wang in the fourth inning I believe.

That's 2009. You can also click in the upper RH corner and see previous years. Nick has a couple of shots that went more than 430 feet.

Who cares anyway? Hank Aaron didn't hit titanic shots, but he hit 755 that were good enough to clear the fence.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So, Jones has a better chance to win a GG and you think he may hit more homers and that makes him a better player?

That is some silly reasoning there but of course you only pay attention to the things that you like, while ignoring the things that proves who is a better player.

Oh well, glad we have both of them.

I think each fan has a right to determine using their own method who they think is a better player. Apparently, you don't so we will just have to agree to disagree.

That's 2009. You can also click in the upper RH corner and see previous years. Nick has a couple of shots that went more than 430 feet.

Who cares anyway? Hank Aaron didn't hit titanic shots, but he hit 755 that were good enough to clear the fence.

It is just a personal enjoyment thing of mine where I appreciate a monster shot for the esthetics of it. Kind of like a slam dunk in basketball. Not all homers are the same. Some are truly awesome and you never forget them. For example I still recall Boog Powell hitting three homers in Fenway including a Monster Shot over the Green Monster, which is rare for a LH hitter. I also saw Jack Cust do the same thing (hit a Monster over the Green Monster) when he was with the O's. The shot Jones hit last night is one I won't forget either.

I think each fan has a right to determine using their own method who they think is a better player. Apparently, you don't so we will just have to agree to disagree.

That's cool. But just for argument's sake, which player do you think is better?

Player A hits .310, has an on base percentage of .400, hits 50 doubles and 25 homers.

Player B hits .285, has an on base percentage of .350, hits 40 doubles and 35 homers.

We will leave defense out of it.

It is just a personal enjoyment thing of mine where I appreciate a monster shot for the esthetics of it. Kind of like a slam dunk in basketball. Not all homers are the same. Some are truly awesome and you never forget them. For example I still recall Boog Powell hitting three homers in Fenway including a Monster Shot over the Green Monster, which is rare for a LH hitter. I also saw Jack Cust do the same thing (hit a Monster over the Green Monster) when he was with the O's.

I think we all appreciate a mammoth shot every now and then... but that's not any way to evaluate the talent level of a player.

Even the incompetent Felix Pie hit one 419 feet.

Unbelievable!!!!

It is just a personal enjoyment thing of mine where I appreciate a monster shot for the esthetics of it. Kind of like a slam dunk in basketball. Not all homers are the same. Some are truly awesome and you never forget them. For example I still recall Boog Powell hitting three homers in Fenway including a Monster Shot over the Green Monster, which is rare for a LH hitter. I also saw Jack Cust do the same thing (hit a Monster over the Green Monster) when he was with the O's. The shot Jones hit last night is one I won't forget either.

Fair enough. I enjoy them also. Luke's HR in Yankee Stadium last year was a tremendous shot. I also saw Lance Berkman hit one at OPACY that nearly went into orbit.

When Nick was 22, he had 16 homers, 25 doubles and a slugging of 448.

When Jones was 22, he had 9 homers and 16 doubles and a slugging of 400.

When Nick was 23, he had 23 homers, 43 doubles and slugging of 485.

Jones would have to do that this year to get to Nick's level of power at similar ages.

Now, Jones is stronger but stronger doesn't mean you will hit more homers.

Should be interesting to watch though...Just glad we get to have them on the same team.

I think we all appreciate a mammoth shot every now and then... but that's not any way to evaluate the talent level of a player.

Even the incompetent Felix Pie hit one 419 feet.

Unbelievable!!!!

I guess Old Fan might want to aurgue Pie will be better than both with that extra foot.;)

Nick has already cleared the green monster once in his career just to let you know.

When Nick was 22, he had 16 homers, 25 doubles and a slugging of 448.

When Jones was 22, he had 9 homers and 16 doubles and a slugging of 400.

When Nick was 23, he had 23 homers, 43 doubles and slugging of 485.

Jones would have to do that this year to get to Nick's level of power at similar ages.

Now, Jones is stronger but stronger doesn't mean you will hit more homers.

Should be interesting to watch though...Just glad we get to have them on the same team.

I think Jones has more raw power, it's just a matter of whether he can harness it. And he's more likely to try to turn on a ball than Nick is. I'd be pretty surprised if Jones doesn't hit 20+ HRs this year.

I think Jones has more raw power, it's just a matter of whether he can harness it. And he's more likely to try to turn on a ball than Nick is. I'd be pretty surprised if Jones doesn't hit 20+ HRs this year.

They both have 30 homer potential...I don't see one distinguishing themselves from the other in terms of homer power.

Jones has more raw power but Nick is a more talented hitter.

Archived