Churchill's latest: Scouts weigh in on prep picks

From Churchill's blog on ESPN:

As many prep prospects ready for the postseason, particularly on the west coast (some playoffs are already under way), a mini-poll of six scouts reveals their mid-spring thoughts among California- and Texas-area prospects. Three scouts from each region weighed in. Here are the top vote-getters:

1. Matt Purke, LHP, Klein HS (Texas) -- 3 first-place votes

2. Shelby Miller, RHP , Brownwood HS (Texas) -- 1 first-place vote

3. Tyler Matzek, LHP, Capistrano Valley (Mission Viejo, Calif.) -- 1 first-place vote

4. Max Stassi, C, Yuba City HS (Calif.) -- 1 first-place vote

5. Slade Heathcott, LHP, Texas HS

6. Everett Williams, OF, McCallum HS (Austin, Texas)

7. Matt Davidson, 3B , Yucaipa HS (Calif.)

8. Jiovanni Mier, SS, Bonita HS (Laverne, Calif.)

Purke seems to be the top prep arm.

I think you may be reading a bit much into what Churchill himself refers to as a mini-poll, no?

Further, there is better prep talent in CA this year, so isn't that splitting the votes a bit for the CA kids? I honestly don't see anything useful out of the poll except it looks like the TX scouts like Purke over Miller and all three CA scouts like Matzek more than Skaggs (take THAT BA!).

I mean, Heathcott as the fifth best HSer in the draft would be a bit silly, no? And I like Heathcott a lot, but...

I think you may be reading a bit much into what Churchill himself refers to as a mini-poll, no?

Further, there is better prep talent in CA this year, so isn't that splitting the votes a bit for the CA kids? I honestly don't see anything useful out of the poll except it looks like the TX scouts like Purke over Miller and all three CA scouts like Matzek more than Skaggs (take THAT BA!).

I mean, Heathcott as the fifth best HSer in the draft would be a bit silly, no? And I like Heathcott a lot, but...

Yeah, but Heathcott over Davidson? HMPF! :rolleyes:

Yeah, but Heathcott over Davidson? HMPF! :rolleyes:

I didn't pay too much attention to the specific order. I think it is enough the Heathcott was mentioned there. Seems obvious the Texas scouts will see more of the Texas prep talent.

I still love Davidson.

Yeah but do you love Davidson with the # 5 pick, especially in light of how Billy Rowell has turned out???

Well, neither have anything to do with the other.

There are five players I'd take over Davidson right now, but I think he'll end up going lower than he should.

I didn't pay too much attention to the specific order. I think it is enough the Heathcott was mentioned there. Seems obvious the Texas scouts will see more of the Texas prep talent.

I still love Davidson.

Me too, I just think it's funny that a handful of scouts were polled, but it didn't even say if these scouts had seen all of these players or just the ones they voted for.

Whatever though, someone is going to end up with an amazing HS player in the 10-20 range, and people will be saying in a few years, man, why did we draft so and so when we could have had Davidson.

Davidson is reffered to on projectprospect.com as a "David Wright starter kit" Any way possible he makes it to the 2nd round?

If he does, I would be very happy. I've seen scouting services place him down in that range, but he looks more like mid-first to supplemental.

I don't think he has the glove that Wright does (some don't even think he can stick at 3B), but I like his bat as much as any other potential HS draftee.

Stotle, I remember you saying that this draft has some depth, but thinking about Davidson possibly making it to the 2nd for us being possible proves that point a bit further. The 2:5 this year for us is going to be huge, will hopefully be a much better pick than last year's Avery at 2:4. So much depth in rounds 2 and 3, I am very excited.........

Stotle, I remember you saying that this draft has some depth, but thinking about Davidson possibly making it to the 2nd for us being possible proves that point a bit further. The 2:5 this year for us is going to be huge, will hopefully be a much better pick than last year's Avery at 2:4. So much depth in rounds 2 and 3, I am very excited.........

I think the draft is deep for mid-first day talent (rounds 3-5), but very light up top.

Archived