I think we need to be worried about Chen.

NewMarketSean

9 HR's in 4 starts and counting.

I always thought Chen would become our most dependable starter, and of course there is still time for him to do that the more he works with Mazzone, but right now he isn't looking too hot.

Anyone else worried about the Panamasian?

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't know if working with Mazzone is a good thing for Chen. Remember, he worked with Mazzone in Atlanta and got blown out of there. Now he's back with Mazzone and he seems to have reverted back to the mediocre journeyman he was before last year.

9 HR's in 4 starts and counting.

I always thought Chen would become our most dependable starter, and of course there is still time for him to do that the more he works with Mazzone, but right now he isn't looking too hot.

Anyone else worried about the Panamasian?

I sure am, everyone talks about this team need relief pitching but starting pitching is the bigger problem. Right now we only have to starters we can rely on, Bedard and Benson. I would say if Chen doesnt turn it around move him to the pen later in the season but who replaces him in the rotation, would it be a good move to put Penn in the rotation? Then again, Chen could turn it around and be that reliable starter we need, I think Rodrigo will, so we really need Chen and Cabrera to be solid. Chen has actually taken his ERA down so far today, and he has already given up 4 runs so that should tell you something about the rest of his starts.

I've been worried about him since well before the season started.

He pitched better than his peripherals last year, so he was due for a dropoff. Now his peripherals are much worse, so he's been a disaster.

He should improve, but he was always, and still is the guy who's most likely to be replaced this year.

I've been worried about him since well before the season started.

He pitched better than his peripherals last year, so he was due for a dropoff. Now his peripherals are much worse, so he's been a disaster.

He should improve, but he was always, and still is the guy who's most likely to be replaced this year.

Me too. I've been worried since last season... I hope he improves enough that we can get something of value for him from some naive GM (like good ol' Mr. Bowden) at the deadline.

How many years did we sign him to?

Looking like a bad move.

How is it a bad move? He is only signed for this year.

I am all for converting him to a LH reliever in the bullpen since we desperately need one. Heck, if we could ever get a punch of Cabrera and then Chen, that would be devestating.

When your fastball can't top out even at 90, you're margin for error is much smaller than the typical pitcher. He locates one pitch poorly and because his stuff isn't that good the ball is smashed. I'm not giving up on him but I would much rather have him in the pen and Penn starting.

Send down Britton and E-Rod, get Williams back, put Chen in the pen, and call up Penn.

Tell Chen we need help out there and to work things out, and that he could be back in the rotation depending on how Penn does.

Isn't Penn still in extending spring training?

Chen's performance is certainly making the minor league arms race more interesting....

You have to imagine that Flannagan really would like to bring up one more young rookie mid-season. Despite all the griping about our tendency to play vets, we've seen a good bit of the baptism-by-fire approach (Cabrera, Penn, Fiorentino, Markakis, Ray).

I wouldn't call it far-fetched to see almost any of our young arms leaping up and getting a shot if Chen keeps sputtering out.... (*cough* Liz *cough*)

Chen will get through May though.

Archived