Is Tom Davis clueless?

notfast

Just turned on TV and MASN was on. He's in the middle of a rant about how he doesnt want to hear about minor leaguers in a "big league city"

He mentioned how the world champion phillies probably arent talking about whos hot in the minors and the angels arent talking about whos next.

He doesnt want the minor leagues "shoved down his throat" in a major league town.

Anyone else watching this?

I think he's completely off base. Absolutely.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I agree.

Its completely idiotic to "not care about those players until they get here."

Thanks for covering the bases, Tom. :rolleyestf:

And then they shove it down our throats regarding Adam Eaton. I really can't stand these guys. They're the type of guys that use the word veteranosity and mean it (and want it).

Ive never really been able to handle Dave Johnson, especially post game.

Tom Davis is someone I've never really paid attention to. That part of the show was horrendous. Maybe 38 years ago when he started it was a tad different. LOL

You beat me to starting a thread about this by a few seconds. I don't post often or start many threads, but I am listening to this and can't believe what I am hearing. After 11 straight years of losing Davis can't understand why the fans are so interested in the minors rather than the "major league" Orioles. Really Tom? You don't get it? Wow. I really liked it when Phil Wood disputed Davis' ridiculous comments by pointing out that fans of the Phillies ARE talking about who's hot in Reading on Philadelphia talk shows. Why am I listening to this? What time does the draft start?

No I was agreeing. The only thing we have to look to is our Minor Leagers. It would be stupid and ostrich with head in sand like not to.

Well apparently since we're a "big league city" we should only focus on the Orioles/Ravens. If you're a fan of NHL, NBA, college, etc. you're an idiot.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

• You can’t assume he’ll win a rotation spot, but he’s valuable depth. He should have the opportunity to earn his way into the rotation but make sure to have at least 5 SP who should be better. 
    • Yep - Eflin was perfectly reasonable as a free agent prior to 2023.
    • He got 30 ABs. Does he get more if they aren’t resigned? Does he get called up sooner if they’re not here? When did he get called up again the second time? When Mateo got injured. 
    • Anyone see the Mets 9th inning last night down 2-0?  Just unbelievable.  That is the opposite of what we saw from the Orioles with their season on the line.  Incredible at-bats by Lindor and Nimmo and then a opposite field 3-run HR by another veteran Pete Alonso.  They then scored another run on a HPB, stolen base and Marte single.  The Orioles need to add a couple solid, dependable RH hitters.  They've needed this for the past two years.  If they just roll out this same position player squad next year with a couple dumpster diver additions that's just not going to cut it.  They also need a veteran leader of some sort, seems like that was lacking.  Also wondering if the LF wall is hurting this team not just on the field (clearly did in WC series) but psychologically and in terms of front-office strategy.  Maybe time to move that thing in 10 feet, especially if the offensive strategy is gonna continue to be "try and hit a HR on every pitch up and down the line-up". 
    • Yeah, Elias unloaded a ton of prospects/young players this year, tbh. Hall, Ortiz/draft pick for Burnes. Johnson and Chace for Soto (ugh) Etzel, Baumeister, and Horvath for Eflin Stowers and Norby for Rogers I get that there are injuries, but if Elias just dabbled in FA a bit more this offseason and shored up the bullpen and rotation they wouldn’t have needed to do at least 2 of those trades.  And while all of those guys except for Burnes (he’ll net a comp pick) are under control through next year (Soto, Eflin) and the year after (Rogers), I’d argue you could have used those guys in the offseason and/or for yourself if you just went the FA route.  I do think Elias gambled too much at the start of the year. With Bradish hurt back in February, that really left Burnes, Grayson, Kremer, Means, Wells, and Irvin. Well, Means had a setback and had an injury history, Wells had an injury history, and even though Suarez was a depth signing, the depth wasn’t all that great. There were plenty of options available in February to reduce the need to ever let it get to a spot to desperation sign Rogers, tbh.  
    • I've been thinking about #2 a lot and wondering why this didn't come up at Elias' press conference.  I think the answer if you have to target a RH bat who isn't solely power-focused or chasing HR numbers, but who is otherwise a caliber of lefty-masher better than Mounty. Or, you force that hitter here via trade.
  • Popular Contributors