5/5 O's at Tampa

baseballnelie

As I suspected. He is a whole lot less than perfect when it comes to fielding underthrown balls from the catcher on SB attempts. He's made some pretty nifty leaping plays backing up second when the ball is overthrown, but it's like he's afraid of the thrown ball when it bounces in front of him. If they're going to keep playing a catcher who can't get the ball to 2B on the fly, they need to make him spend some time practicing keeping those in the infield.

Yup, he's afraid of the thrown ball -- especially when it bounces. How in the world did he get to the majors?

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sorry for being a dope, but the stupid blackout means I can't see anything. Exactly who is supposedly afraid of the ball? Not saying he is or isn't (although I have my doubts ;-) but I'm confused about who missed it...

Yup' date=' he's afraid of the thrown ball -- especially when it bounces. How in the world did he get to the majors?[/quote']

So you think Roberts does a good job of keeping bounced throws from the catcher in the infield on SB attempts? I didn't say he was afraid of the ball, but he does kind of look like it sometimes on that particular play. He lets a lot of balls go into the outfield on short throws from the catcher that he really should be able to get in front of.

I was talking about Roberts, not Andino. Since I'm following the game from work on Gameday, I asked who was covering second and if he should have been able to block the ball, as I've seen a number of occasions over the years where our infielders, particularly Roberts, do a lousy job of trying to keep a throw from the catcher in the infield when it bounces short of the bag. I thought El Gordo was referring to Roberts in his answer about the "Less than Perfect One." Was it in fact Andino who was covering the base with a righty batting and missed the ball? Or was it such a bad throw that nobody had a chance at it? Regardless of who it was, if we're going to keep playing Zaun at catcher, all our middle infielders need to practice fielding short hopped throws.

Archived