3rd round pick - Tyler Townsend, 1B - FIU

Guest rochester
I wonder if weight will be a concern....25 pounds is a lot of weight for a 20 year old athlete to lose in mu opinion.

Nah, I lost like 25 lbs within the first month or two after graduating from college - a bit less beer and more physical labor...:laughlol:

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Being a former teammate and friend of Tyler I may be a bit biased, but I love this pic! The kid can flat out play. The numbers speak for themselves hitting wise but he can also play the field very well. If anyone has any questions Ill try to help answer them the best I can. Hope to see him in an O's Jersey soon!

Being a former teammate and friend of Tyler I may be a bit biased, but I love this pic! The kid can flat out play. The numbers speak for themselves hitting wise but he can also play the field very well. If anyone has any questions Ill try to help answer them the best I can. Hope to see him in an O's Jersey soon!

How is he at handling off-speed/breaking stuff?

How is he at handling off-speed/breaking stuff?

Thats hard to say man, I havent played with Tyler since my junior year of high school and considering he went to school down in florida i was unable to see him play in college. Therefor im not sure how he does against off-speed/breaking pitches, but I will say this. Tyler is very patient at the plate and will make a pitcher pitch around him, he will wait for HIS pitch.

Townsend must decide the terms and money of the minor league contract; the deadline to sign is Aug. 15.

"I'm trying to get the numbers worked out," Townsend said. "I'll take what's fair. It depends on what other people have gotten."

Seems like all three of our top draftees will be in our system very early!

A nice article about Townsend from Delmarva news today:

The infielder, who has played the past three seasons at Florida International University in Miami, was selected by the Baltimore Orioles in the third round (85th overall pick) of Major League Baseball's draft.

"It's just one of those indescribable emotions," he said. "I've worked for this for my whole life, and it's good that it finally happened."

Townsend expects to sign with the organization and report to one of its minor league teams very soon. Last he heard, it most likely will be with the Aberdeen (Md.) IronBirds -- a short-season single-A team owned by Orioles great Cal Ripken Jr. Their season starts June 22. If all goes well, he might have the opportunity to play with the Delmarva Shorebirds this year.

Wherever he ends up, FIU coach Turtle Thomas believes Townsend has the attributes to find success on the professional level.

"Everybody thought he had a top-two- or three-round bat; he's a pure hitter," Thomas said. "He's increased his speed and, as long as he keeps working on his defensive ability, he's going to be an all-around great player."

Guest rbrhett

I was happy with this pick for a few reasons:

First, I am a 93 grad of Cape Henlopen and it was great to see a former Viking in the Os system.

Second, it seems he wants to be an Oriole.

Third, he is going to hit and be a good player.

It was a good day for Lewes, DE, and Cape Henlopen, home of Chris Short Memorial Field, for his family, and for the Os organization.

Here is a link to an article in the local paper written by one of my former high school teachers, a real character named Dave Frederick.

I was happy with this pick for a few reasons:

First, I am a 93 grad of Cape Henlopen and it was great to see a former Viking in the Os system.

Second, it seems he wants to be an Oriole.

Third, he is going to hit and be a good player.

It was a good day for Lewes, DE, and Cape Henlopen, home of Chris Short Memorial Field, for his family, and for the Os organization.

Here is a link to an article in the local paper written by one of my former high school teachers, a real character named Dave Frederick.

I have family that lives up there in Lewes Delaware

Guest rbrhett
I have family that lives up there in Lewes Delaware

A bit of my family still lives there. I now reside in Alabama.

From the link.

Tyler’s grandfather, Wally Townsend, who according to Tyler has followed his every pitch since Little League, called Tyler after the news and said, “I never thought you were that good, but best of luck.”

Hilarious. Nothing beats a curmudgeon.

Archived