3rd round pick - Tyler Townsend, 1B - FIU

Like this pick...Anyone seen anything about his defense?

http://www.thebaseballcube.com/players/T/Tyler-Townsend.shtml

He looked good last year as well....Baseball Cube rates him highly.

Baseball Cube actually rated his speed as "1" on a scale of 100. He's 21 years old. How on earth can he be a "1"? Has anyone ever seen this low of a rating for any category?

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Baseball Cube actually rated his speed as "1" on a scale of 100. He's 21 years old. How on earth can he be a "1"? Has anyone ever seen this low of a rating for any category?
Ignore Baseball Cube's ratings, they aren't a scale of how fast he is, just a sum of how many bases he's stolen.

4 years is average... 1 year to get used to the wood bat in Short Season Single A another year to get used to the long season in Single A. Then you move them up to AA to face good pitching and if you light those guys up you'll get the call up in that third year but most guys don't gain the patience at the plate and game plan management until their second year at AA. 2012 would be my guess, sign Huff to a 2 year extension and hold Townsend's place.

4 years is average... 1 year to get used to the wood bat in Short Season Single A another year to get used to the long season in Single A. Then you move them up to AA to face good pitching and if you light those guys up you'll get the call up in that third year but most guys don't gain the patience at the plate and game plan management until their second year at AA. 2012 would be my guess, sign Huff to a 2 year extension and hold Townsend's place.
No way they resign Huff. 1B next year will either be Wigginton or Snyder. Hopefully Snyder for the foreseeable future. Townsend is gonna have a hard time supplanting Snyder, who I expect to be good. He may have a chance to be our future DH after Scott's time here is up (after 2012).

Obviously this is all highly speculative, but Snyder is a hell of a hitter, if Townsend makes us question whether he or Snyder is the better bat, it'll end up being a fantastic 3rd round pick.

Anyone else think his swing looks a little odd? :confused:

Keep in mind that I'm not a good judge on these things, so I wouldn't be surprised if I'm wrong. :laughlol:

One still photograph is all the evidence you have right now?

its a pic of an off speed pitch that he was apparently fooled on and he is still gonna foul that pitch off... strong front side, head down has his hips cleared, it isnt a powerful swing but its pretty good for a pitch he didnt read well

IIRC, I read somewhere last night that he had a great performance in a wood bat league somewhere, so perhaps the switch might not be that hard for him.

Snyder is still killin it and I think he is our 1B of the future. Perhaps Townsend and Snyder can swap off at 1B/DH like SG suggested earlier...that'd be nice to see.

Archived