3rd round pick - Tyler Townsend, 1B - FIU

FWIW I asked Roch in one of his blogs about any progress signing our top draft picks and he believes that the O's are close to signing Townsend.

I am most surprised that Townsend hasn't signed. There appeared to be some consensus that he was fifth round material - perhaps a bit sooner. Of course, the consensus could be very wrong and teams were looking at him earlier. Regardless, third round $ is probably more than twice what he was expecting prior to the draft and he is not a HSer with leverage. Hopefully, he signs soon and gets 200+ at bats at Aberdeen.

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Brett Hollander interviewed Joe Jordan today and asked him particularly about Townsend. Jordan said that when they picked Givens in the 2nd Round, they did not expect Townsend to be available for their 3rd round pick. He was a no-brainer when he was still on the board, and they were ecstatic to get him.

Baltimore Sun

Townsend agrees to terms

While much of the attention Saturday was focused on the signing of top pick Matt Hobgood to a $2.42 million bonus, the Orioles also agreed to terms with their third-round pick, first baseman Tyler Townsend. The Lewes, Del., native hit .434 with 24 homers and 77 RBIs as a junior at Florida International University. His signing means that the Orioles have come to terms with 15 of their 50 picks, including three of their top 10.

Here you go.

This morning's Sun also reports that Townsend is on his way if not already in Aberdeen, and is scheduled to start tonight or tomorrow night

I'd love to see the guy move to Frederick by the end of August and be in Bowie next season.

I've got the feeling he will be our LT solution at 1B eventually if we don't trade for one before then.

I'd love to see the guy move to Frederick by the end of August and be in Bowie next season.

I've got the feeling he will be our LT solution at 1B eventually if we don't trade for one before then.

He's clearly a better choice for this than Snyder, who put up an 1.000+ OPS at AA. Clearly.

I'd say there's just about zero chance he starts at Bowie next season.

Maybe he spends the first half at Frederick then moves p, but that's about as fast as I could see him moving.

Archived