7/7 - O's @ M's... Can we solve Bedard?

The Rick

• Replies 473
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You can't hit the ball twice while you're holding the bat... but that was different... the bat was just lying on the ground and the ball came down on it. I think at that point the bat is just part of the field... but I'm not exactly sure...

This is part (but not all) of Rule 6.05, part (h):

After hitting or bunting a fair ball, his bat hits the ball a second time in fair territory. The ball is dead and no runners may advance. If the batter runner drops his bat and the ball rolls against the bat in fair territory and, in the umpire's judgment, there was no intention to interfere with the course of the ball, the ball is alive and in play...

That's what happened here... except the ball didn't roll against it, but landed on it...

Also, Rule 6.05(h):

After hitting or bunting a fair ball, his bat hits the ball a second time in fair territory. The ball is dead and no runners may advance. If the batter-runner drops his bat and the ball rolls against the bat in fair territory and, in the umpire’s judgment, there was no intention to interfere with the course of the ball, the ball is alive and in play;

And part of the comment:

If a whole bat is thrown into fair territory and interferes with a defensive player attempting to make a play, interference shall be called, whether intentional or not.

I guess the ump didn't think it interfered w/ either Wieters or Hendrickson's attempt to make a play. From what I can tell, that was the right call.

Makes you wonder what people would think of him if he wasn't forced into the rotation early by Hill's injury. He's been very, very solid as a reliever.

Throughout his career, Hendrickson has always been a far better pitcher out of the bullpen...

I         Split   G   PA   AB   R    H  2B 3B  HR SB CS  BB  SO SO/BB   BA  OBP  SLG  OPS   TB GDP HBP SH SF IBB BAbip tOPS+    as Starter 161 4006 3649 597 1085 237 13 119 71 24 270 479  1.77 .297 .346 .467 .813 1705  81  20 33 34  19  .313   105   as Reliever  77  522  472  50  113  20  1   9  9  1  36 101  2.81 .239 .294 .343 .637  162  10   2  8  4   7  .284    62

I'm sorry. I didn't realize that I said we wouldn't be better if we had better pitchers than Berken and Hill. Oh...I re-read my post and I didn't say that. I said that the hitters had to take their share of the blame. And, I was upfront and admitted that my opinion is obviously influenced by recent poor performance. Several people here thought we shouldn't have re-signed Roberts, Izturis and Andino are both slap hitters. We have no obvious replacements for Mora or Huff. So, I stand by what I said - we are more than a couple of good pitchers away from contention.

Before you said decent, now you say contention. No big deal, but in my mind the two are different. In my original post, I wasn't necessarily talking about contention, more along the lines of being near where the Mariners are, at four games over or so. I know that's not the end goal for this team, but next year, I would be excited to be over .500 and I think it's entirely possible if we get some better pitching. I think it was just a miscommunication.

I guess the ump didn't think it interfered w/ either Wieters or Hendrickson's attempt to make a play. From what I can tell, that was the right call.

I think it clearly interfered. It had a higher bounce until it hit the bat, where it then moved more quickly up the line, out of the reach of Wieters.

I think the ruling is that it wasn't intentional

Damn--Hendrickson K's Junior. :eek: That's one for Hendrickson to tell his grandkids: yeah, I struck out Ken Griffey Junior. He swung and missed like a bush-leaguer. :rofl:

I don't care if he is at the end of his career: it's never iffy if it's Griffey.

Bases loaded with 2 outs. Scott hits a 20-2 pitch (so runners not going) to center / right-center. Gutierrez gets to it and throws wildly to home, the ball bouncing into the stands.

Jones and Markakis scored easily. And I think the umps initially awarded Reimold home (or he just took it). Umpires consulted or something and they rules that Reimold had to stay at third.

The rule is 2 bases from time of throw. So essentially they were saying that Reimold, with a lead and breaking on contact, could not run 80 or so feet before Gutierrez could get to the ball, crow hop, and fire home. I find that a dubious claim, but there was never a good enough camera angle to see exactly where Reimold was at the time of the throw, so we don't know for certain.

He didn't take it, he hung out at 3rd looking scared while the coaches kept trying to wave him in. I think if he'd gone they might've let him keep it, like AJ Pierzynski running to first.

Anyone care to comment on what I posted earlier? The comment from Rule 7.05(g) states this:

So maybe it had to do with Scott's position rather than Reimold's?

No, you read past the part that matters. The part you quoted is from an Approved Ruling about something very specific. Right before that Approved Ruling, it clearly says that what matters is where the runner is when the OF'er throws the ball. The Approved Ruling you quoted from is about what happens when a baserunner holds up because he thinks the ball might be caught, and the batter catches up to him so they're both between the same 2 bases. That's where it's a judgment call about where the hitter was...

I think it clearly interfered. It had a higher bounce until it hit the bat, where it then moved more quickly up the line, out of the reach of Wieters.

I think the ruling is that it wasn't intentional

I think you're right. Seems like in that situation, it should be an out. He layed his bat right out in the path of the ball.

I think the ump got the call right, but the rule sort of sucks.

Archived