Why no Hobgood in action?

melankfo

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The increasing impatience many seem to have with the development rate of our young players really bothers me. I want it done right, not fast. And if right fast happens and those in charge think someone is ready, fine, throw 'em into the fire.

But does anyone honestly think that the delay of a couple weeks, and the lack of 3-4 starts this year, is going to impede Hobgood's progress and affect his future ascent to the ML? Seriously?

We have no clue...at least I've seen nothing anywhere...about how many innings he threw in HS, so maybe the O's just wanted to give his arm a rest and then build it back slowly before throwing him into live action. Hell...maybe he just wanted to take a vacation!!

Also, for the first time in his life he will be playing against kids who are just as good, if not better, than he is. So maybe there is a little psychological tutoring going on, too.

Hobgood's time will come....be patient enough to wait for it.

Relax....

I don't think anyone is tying his future success to the number of innings he logs in 2009. However, the FO said in interviews that they wanted someone they could bring in quickly and get started. I think it's reasonable to question why this was said when ultimately you are talking about a miniscule amount of innigns that will ultimately be thrown.

Do I honestly care whether he ever logs short-season innings? No. I think his current stuff is better than that. But don't tell me in June that you want someone who can get started quickly and then sign someone under slot and still take until late july to get him to log a start...

Hobgood should get in 30 innings or so, which is about what Erbe threw the year he was drafted. That was enough to get Erbe to Delmarva the next spring. That's all we really need here.

I don't disagree. But then don't blow smoke up my ass about wanting someone who can get started right away.

Hobgood needs time.... Here's a copy of his scouting report for 2009.....

Fastball: Hobgood threw his fastball in the 89-92 mph range and went right after hitters with it.

Fastball movement: Has heavy, hard life.

Curve: A plus pitch, 11-to-5, true curve, thrown 74-79 mph. It has the chance to be the best high school curve in this class.

Slider: It's slurvy at 80 mph, and is a usable pitch.

Changeup: Didn't show a changeup and may lack a feel for it.

Control: Has average high school command, but was throwing to the radar gun a bit too much.

Poise: Exceptional. He challenged hitters, daring them to try and hit him. He has a little mean streak on the mound.

Physical Description: Hobgood is a big, physical animal -- like a Josh Beckett type.

Medical Update: Healthy.

Strengths: Size, strength and durability. Also has two plus pitches now, with the intangibles to be a front-of-the-rotation starter.

Weaknesses: Doesn't show a feel for a changeup. He lands a little hard and will have to soften his front side a little to hone command.

Summary: Hobgood is a big, strong right-hander with two plus offerings in his heavy fastball and outstanding curve. Some small tweaks to his delivery should help him find even better fastball command. If he can add a changeup to go along with his other offerings and his tremendous mound presence, he has the chance to be a front-of-the-rotation starter in the future.

Well we look forward to seeing him in Bowie late next season as is usually the route taken. I do think Baltimore is handling their pitchers well. Not rushing them and giving them a chance for success in each level.

Maybe for a college guy, but Hobby is only 18, you won't see him in Bowie before 2011 at the earliest. He's going to need a full-season in Delmarva and then a good chunk of a season in Frederick by my guess, although if he really excels you could see him do 1/2 in DMV, and 1/2 in FRD and then start in BOW the next year, but that is best case and moving VERY quickly.

Take your own advice. Relax. :)

Where are Shelby Miller and the other 1st round pitchers right now? So he hasn't pitched in a game yet. You know as well as anyone that he has been working out with the team and they are probably working on some mechanical changes before they throw him into any games. Could they have probably put him in a game a couple of weeks ago just after he signed? Probably, but who cares. Well, I guess you do. No biggie and I'm not upset or thinking that Jordan or the FO blew smoke up my butt. He is signed and ready to pitch soon. Are Wheeler, Miller, Matzek, Purke, White, Gibson or Turner scheduled to pitch anywhere this week?

P.S. Some quick research shows that most players selected in the 1st round haven't signed yet. Furthermore, Hobgood is one of only two pitchers selected in the 1st round to have signed already. The other being Eric Arnett, a college pitcher chosen #26 overall. That leaves a lot of pitchers, both HS and college, who are not only not playing, but not even working out with their organizations. Heck, some of them might just be sitting around doing nothing. Our guy is getting instruction and getting prepared for his debut.

I think you're missing my point, but I ultimately agree it doesn't matter.

And actually, Dew Storen signed right away (though I don't know why you're limiting this just to pitchers -- nor does it have anything to do with whether or not BAL is getting Hobgood started "right away"). Again, I agree that ultimately it won't make a lick of difference.

Relax....

I don't think anyone is tying his future success to the number of innings he logs in 2009. However, the FO said in interviews that they wanted someone they could bring in quickly and get started. I think it's reasonable to question why this was said when ultimately you are talking about a miniscule amount of innigns that will ultimately be thrown.

Let's file it under relativity then. He is getting started in his professional career and that is further magnified when you look at the other pitchers that the O's could have selected at the #4 pick. Now, how much value is there in Hobgood getting two months with the team and 5 weeks of actual pitching? I don't know but the O's obviously feel there is an advantage or preference for that. You seem to be saying the O's said one thing and did another. Are you? If not, then I guess I did miss your point.

I was saying that (to me) this does not qualify as bringing someone in quickly -- at least not enough for it to be quoted as a reason for selecting someone. If none of the other HS pitchers sign until August, and Hobgood signed July 27, he'd still be the first R1 HS arm signed and technically would have been brought in "more quickly".

Anyway, I don't feel strong enough about this to make it a huge deal. Aside from the "smoke up my ass" post -- which was tongue-in-cheek though I concede hard to see that in text -- I was just pointing out what I thought was an interesting discrepancy. Hobgood isn't falling behind it's nice to have him doing something as opposed to nothing.

Relax....

Let's file it under relativity then. He is getting started in his professional career and that is further magnified when you look at the other pitchers that the O's could have selected at the #4 pick. Now, how much value is there in Hobgood getting two months with the team and 5 weeks of actual pitching? I don't know but the O's obviously feel there is an advantage or preference for that. You seem to be saying the O's said one thing and did another. Are you? If not, then I guess I did miss your point.

For me, it isn't important what happens with other pitchers drafted this year. The Orioles did say one thing, and since then have done the opposite.

I don't take this to be that their approach with Hobgood is wrong, just that it doesn't match what they said. Jordan and the FO don't appear confident in their pick, in their scouting, by justifying their pick in part because they can start early with him. Gammons and others asserted that Hobgood was selected because he would sign under slot (maybe the Os still needed to make amends with Selig after the Wieters signing). AM has defended the pick publicly, and so has Jordan. There's no reason to do that unless they feel defensive. They just seem erratic about this signing.

Well, I guess you and Stotle determine the "signing him quickly and getting him started" a little differently than I do. If we take the literal meaning chances are that we have about a 2 or 3 week gap we are talking about. I believe Hobgood went to Bluefield around July 1 or 2nd. If he had signed on draft day and gone straight to Bluefield maybe he starts around the 10th. So best case scenario, you guys are upset that the O's didn't get Hobgood with the Bluefield team 3 weeks earlier.

Now, there's another way you could interpret Jordan's comments. Compared to the other options available at the #4 pick that Jordan was considering (Wheeler, White, and who knows who else), Hobgood has signed early and gotten started way ahead of where those guys will be. If you go with the first scenario, I'm not gonna get too upset over the 2 or 3 week lapse in time. If you go with the second scenario there is no beef whatsoever. The bottom line and what I think you guys are not getting. The O's signed someone they wanted and have him playing baseball this summer. As you can see with almost all of the other top picks, they most likely will not be signed until mid August and most likely not play at all this summer. 8 weeks with a minor league team and teammates, away from home for probably the first time, and 5 weeks of game competition verses prolonged negotiations and probably none of the other stuff. Where's the beef?

That bolded part is just silly. Now, I'm not saying the O's didn't draft him because of financial reasons. They could be lying about him being their first choice for baseball reasons. Still, just because they answered some criticism over the pick, publicly, does't necesarily make them defensive either. Or at least it doesn't equate being defensive with lying.

Haha. Okay, "You are right, RZNJ..."

Sorry I didn't see the thread earlier. As someone already said before, here's the plan for Matt.

http://forum.orioleshangout.com/forums/showthread.php?t=83727

Matt flies back home tomorrow and then it's off to the ESPY's (YEA! I get to go too!) and then he'll be back with Bluefiield to hopefully pitch on the 18th.

Matt had a few months off since the end of the high school season and I think the O's just wanted to work on his conditioning before they threw him into the fire.

Cross your fingers! He's up for the Gatorade National Player of the Year award with 5 or 6 other guys. It will be announced on Wednesday I think.

Well, I guess you and Stotle determine the "signing him quickly and getting him started" a little differently than I do. If we take the literal meaning chances are that we have about a 2 or 3 week gap we are talking about. I believe Hobgood went to Bluefield around July 1 or 2nd. If he had signed on draft day and gone straight to Bluefield maybe he starts around the 10th. So best case scenario, you guys are upset that the O's didn't get Hobgood with the Bluefield team 3 weeks earlier.

Now, there's another way you could interpret Jordan's comments. Compared to the other options available at the #4 pick that Jordan was considering (Wheeler, White, and who knows who else), Hobgood has signed early and gotten started way ahead of where those guys will be. If you go with the first scenario, I'm not gonna get too upset over the 2 or 3 week lapse in time. If you go with the second scenario there is no beef whatsoever. The bottom line and what I think you guys are not getting. The O's signed someone they wanted and have him playing baseball this summer. As you can see with almost all of the other top picks, they most likely will not be signed until mid August and most likely not play at all this summer. 8 weeks with a minor league team and teammates, away from home for probably the first time, and 5 weeks of game competition verses prolonged negotiations and probably none of the other stuff. Where's the beef?

That bolded part is just silly. Now, I'm not saying the O's didn't draft him because of financial reasons. They could be lying about him being their first choice for baseball reasons. Still, just because they answered some criticism over the pick, publicly, does't necesarily make them defensive either. Or at least it doesn't equate being defensive with lying.

I don't understand what's silly about it. I watched AM defend picking Hobgood on MASN, and read it on the Sun's website. Furthermore, I've read on several websites where baseball writers speculated that the pick was for financial reasons. AM was responding to those very people. I have no idea whether it's true or not.

Also, just to be clear, I never conveyed any personal opinion about the pick. I don't know enough about prospects to make any assessment. I also don't know anything about baseball development, and so I didn't make any statement about whether it was an appropriate time line for Hobgood or not. All I was commenting on were the statements coming from the Orioles. Those did not make a lot of sense is all.

The increasing impatience many seem to have with the development rate of our young players really bothers me. I want it done right, not fast. And if right fast happens and those in charge think someone is ready, fine, throw 'em into the fire.

But does anyone honestly think that the delay of a couple weeks, and the lack of 3-4 starts this year, is going to impede Hobgood's progress and affect his future ascent to the ML? Seriously?

We have no clue...at least I've seen nothing anywhere...about how many innings he threw in HS, so maybe the O's just wanted to give his arm a rest and then build it back slowly before throwing him into live action. Hell...maybe he just wanted to take a vacation!!

Also, for the first time in his life he will be playing against kids who are just as good, if not better, than he is. So maybe there is a little psychological tutoring going on, too.

Hobgood's time will come....be patient enough to wait for it.

Yes actually it would affect his development, heres why:

Your main goal as the Orioles is to have Hobgood ready for full season ball, however you must do it. By getting those extra 4-5 starts, it gives him that many more starts against the weaker competition to hope that he hits the ground running in pro ball. But most times there is a bit of a transition period, especially for pitchers. He may need the full 10 starts he would have gotten to get acclimated to Bluefield's level of play and thus preparing him for full season ball. And you want him to start next season playing fullseason so he has a full season's worth of time to develop and work on his game against tougher competition that is a bit older and more experienced. As a HS pitcher, development is key, they have a whole lot more developing to do than a college pitcher such as Matusz.

And if Hobgood does just get say 5 starts and therefore has to go to SS ball next season, he has to wait 3 months before he can get started in his ascention to the big league level. If he is really good, maybe he will be promoted to Delmarva. But if he was able to begin that season in full season ball, he may even be able to be promoted to Fredrick depending on how well he is doing. So, a 19 y/o in HiA is more of a prospect than a 19 y/o in loA....

Sorry I didn't see the thread earlier. As someone already said before' date=' here's the plan for Matt.

[url']http://forum.orioleshangout.com/forums/showthread.php?t=83727[/url]

Matt flies back home tomorrow and then it's off to the ESPY's (YEA! I get to go too!) and then he'll be back with Bluefiield to hopefully pitch on the 18th.

Matt had a few months off since the end of the high school season and I think the O's just wanted to work on his conditioning before they threw him into the fire.

Cross your fingers! He's up for the Gatorade National Player of the Year award with 5 or 6 other guys. It will be announced on Wednesday I think.

Matt's Uncle, please clarify something for me, you may have already said this arounud the day he was drafted, but how hard do you see matt throwing his fastball? I heard reports saying he tops out anywhere between 92 and 98. Id love to know what the truth is....

Can we stop reading too much into things? I'm sure Matt wanted a couple weeks to breathe and take a vacation before baseball takes up the next couple months, then he had to get into game shape, then he has the ESPY's, and they aren't going to go throwing him into a routine and games, and then destroy that by him having to go out there for a few days, so they wait til he gets back. It really does make plenty of sense, and there is no reason to think this will hinder him in anyway. Plenty of HS kids don't sign until the deadline and play no ball in the summer and they turn out fine.

Archived