How can you guys not be talking more about Sano?

Mashed Potatoes

• Replies 347
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Correct me if I am wrong, but the article states the umpire was John Hirshbeck. The same guy set off Robbie Alomar so badly he spat upon him.

He is not the poster child for how to be an umpire:

On May 5, 2013, Hirschbeck ejected Bryce Harper of the Washington Nationals after the outfielder argued a check-swing call for strike three in the first inning of a game against the Pittsburgh Pirates. Though Harper later apologized, Hirschbeck was the aggressor in the confrontation according to some observers,[9] as he started yelling at Harper and walking toward him after the batter had raised his hands in protest. Adam Kilgore of the Washington Post wrote that Hirschbeck should have simply turned his back and ignored Harper rather than escalating the incident. The incident highlighted what was seen by some as a new age of diva umpires who seemingly want to become part of the storyline, according to some observers, with Hirschbeck's actions singled out and referred to as a "display of egotism".[10]

During an ALCS game between the Kansas City Royals and Toronto Blue Jays on October 19, 2015, Hirschbeck ejected Toronto shortstop Troy Tulowitzki between innings after the player had argued a called third strike.[11] Hirschbeck was accused of escalating the situation by approaching Tulowitzki after the fact,[12] actions which were referred to by some observers as "simply unacceptable"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Hirschbeck

Yeah, Hischbeck seems to find himself in this situation more often that most other umps. I can't stand it when umpires provoke or attempt to provoke players. Players are going to get pissed when they (rightly or wrongly) believe an ump blew a call and the ump's job is to defuse it, ignore it, or toss him. It is not an ump's job to escalate it.

I could be wrong, but I think that is the writer's opinion, not Molitor's.

And it is pretty idiotic. Jones obvious knows and respects balls and strike much better than a rookie like Sano. For them to even bring up Adam's name negates anything of worth in the article.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

• That's hilarious. I've seen some post on the Facebook sight asking what's wrong with Gunnar. It absolutely amazes me that as amazing as Gunnar is, that if he goes into a little slump some people will start "wondering what's wrong with him." Heaney just had his number and Kirby and Gilbert are pretty good starters.  We all hope he gets out of it soon, but every player slumps.
    • And FIP distinguishes between a home run that goes over the fence by a foot and a flyout at the wall. How's that any different? When I say it's not a real stat, I mean it's not based on real data. It's a fictional ERA. 
    • I wouldn't call any non-Rivera reliever a definite Hall of Famer. Even setting aside the fact that it's awfully hard to make an objective case that most relivers as half as valuable as a good starter or a non-pitcher, how many Hall of Fame Closer type seasons has Kimbrel had? Just kind of off hand, I'd say a "yep, this closer is making a HOF case" season in the 2000s is something like 35+ saves and and ERA of 2.50 or lower, over a K an inning, and probably a WHIP under 1.000. Yes, Kimbrel had four of those. But you know who has five? Joe Nathan, who got 4.3% of the vote his one year before dropping off. Billy Wagner has four, and he's not in the Hall yet. Chapman has three. JJ Putz (!) has three, as does Papelbon and Eric Gagne. But that list helps highlight my problem in general with relievers in the Hall. Rivera and Hoffman only had a handful of seasons like that. The best closers in the game only have a Great Closer season 5-6 times. Hoffman is in the Hall, and his typical season was 60 innings of a 2.87 with 35 saves. 12 times Orioles have had seasons like that, it's not that exceptional or unusual.  Chris Ray had a Trevor Hoffman season. BJ Ryan. Don Aase. Jim Johnson twice! And then we get to the objective value metrics, which say Kimbrel is the 13th-best reliever of all time. But they also say that 13 of the top 20 are not in the Hall of Fame, but Bruce Sutter (24th) is! The Hall has all kinds of issues, but relievers are in a category all by themselves.
    • Agreed, I bet it was CHW to stir the value pool.
    • Is Holliday actually 6’?  I saw him play a few times last year in Bowie and he looked about 5’10.  
    • Chris Getz - how about Sam Bas… inaudible laughter click. End of call. 
    • Burnes, Santa, Grayson, and Kimbrel in that order. Those 4 should be all stars. I don’t think Grayson will. But he’s close.  Life is good. 
  • Popular Contributors