Do you agree or disagree with Trembley's decision to "call out" Pie?

ChaosLex

Do you agree or disagree with Trembley's decision to "call out" Pie?  

183 members have voted

1. 1. Do you agree or disagree with Trembley's decision to "call out" Pie?

I think the reason Trembley is calling out Pie is due to the fact that Trembley recognizes his ability. What's the point of calling out Mora? What's the point in calling out Wiggington? They're veteran players who know what they did was wrong -- and they're also far enough into their respective careers that whatever Trembley says doesn't really matter. Why waste the effort on calling out Mora when he's gone in 2 months, anyways?

Pie is getting better by the day. He's proven that after taking lumps, he can respond. This tough love isn't new to him, so I'm not bothered by this. Sometimes managers call out players because they think they have all the talent in the world. I believe that's the case here.

If this is true, Trembley must think the entire team sucks. Since, the only guy he apparently sees ability in is Pie...

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, Pie seems like an easier target to call out than the veterans. If you call out Mora, he goes to the press. If you get angry at Pie, he apologizes for being happy to hit for the cycle.

We should give Pie credit for not being a child about it.

Simple..he thought Mauer had the ball...Hell, I thought he did too when I saw it at first.

And if Mauer had had the ball, we would be saying what a brilliant and heads up play that was for Pie to take the extra base there.

From the angle he had at second, I am not sure he could tell...Now, since he probably didn't know for sure, he shouldn't have gone..Not disputing that.

But in his mind, Mauer had the ball and he went for it. If Mauer did have it, he would have been into third and people on the game thread would be saying that was a heads up play and asking the question..I thought he didn't have good instincts?

It was a very Mora-esque mistake.

Mora doesn't make mistakes because he's lazy, he makes them because he thinks he can trick the other team or pull something off that they aren't expecting. He used to do those delayed steals all the time, trying to tag up on popups like that (I remember him successfully tagging on one of those 2B/1B popups down the RF line and thinking it was actually a nice play). When Mora makes mistakes, they usually seem to be because he is trying to do too much and doesn't know his own limitations. I think last night's thing with Pie was like that. He thought that if Mauer caught the ball, that he could essentially steal a free base. Well, he might have been right, but in his exuberance to try and make a great play he didn't notice that Morneau was the one who ended up with the ball.

Its a dumb mistake, but its from trying to do too much or catch the other team napping, not from being unfocused or lost.

It was a very Mora-esque mistake.

Mora doesn't make mistakes because he's lazy, he makes them because he thinks he can trick the other team or pull something off that they aren't expecting. He used to do those delayed steals all the time, trying to tag up on popups like that (I remember him successfully tagging on one of those 2B/1B popups down the RF line and thinking it was actually a nice play). When Mora makes mistakes, they usually seem to be because he is trying to do too much and doesn't know his own limitations. I think last night's thing with Pie was like that. He thought that if Mauer caught the ball, that he could essentially steal a free base. Well, he might have been right, but in his exuberance to try and make a great play he didn't notice that Morneau was the one who ended up with the ball.

Its a dumb mistake, but its from trying to do too much or catch the other team napping, not from being unfocused or lost.

Would Rich Dauer or Al Bumbry have tried to make that play on a Cal Ripken pop up with Eddie Murray on deck? That was the scenario here...our "cleanup" hitter Markakis was coming up. A basehit scores Pie anyway. Granted Kakes is no Murray, but my point is it was a dumb play, even had he made it.

The guys that DT doesn't criticize should look at Pie as an example of how much effort should be given on every play.

It's poor judgment for DT to call out a player who tries as much as Pie who has contributed as much as Pie recently when he doesn't call out anyone else.

This is my issue...Pie hustles...he gives it his all and then DT calls him out for a mistake?

Did he call out Brian Bass last night?

Did he call out himself for leaving Bass in for too long?

Would Rich Dauer or Al Bumbry have tried to make that play on a Cal Ripken pop up with Eddie Murray on deck? That was the scenario here...our "cleanup" hitter Markakis was coming up. A basehit scores Pie anyway. Granted Kakes is no Murray, but my point is it was a dumb play, even had he made it.
Its by definition not a dumb play if you make it, so forget that.

I never said or even hinted that Pie's play last night wasn't stupid, so not sure why you keep bringing up that it was. Everybody knows it was a terrible play. He was out by a mile.

An no, no player from a previous generation that was on a winning Orioles team ever made a mistake, left a runner in scoring position, threw to the wrong base, lost focus, misplayed a fly ball, failed to get down a sacrifice bunt, swung for the fences, or came out of a game after 100 pitches. Everybody was flawless, determined, and tough.

Yep, because one mistake certainly is indicative of everything a player will do in the future.

When are we cutting Adam Jones? I saw him hold a flyball that he caught in medium depth CF for too long and let a runner tag up from 1st to 2nd. He's clearly awful and will never be any good, at least according to the logical stylings of tywright.

I don't know if it's been mentioned as this is as far as I've gotten in the topic. But, that player who tagged was also a catcher.

This is my issue...Pie hustles...he gives it his all and then DT calls him out for a mistake?

Did he call out Brian Bass last night?

Did he call out himself for leaving Bass in for too long?

How is he supposed to call out Bass? "Brian Bass can't pitch at this level. He doesn't have Major League quality stuff. He doesn't belong here"? What possible constructive use could that have? Calling out someone who has the talent to run the bases well for his habit of making boneheaded mistakes is a lot more likely to be productive than calling someone out for not really having the talent to do their job.

As for calling himself out though, I would agree that Trembley needs to do that more if he wants to talk about accountability on the part of players.

Its by definition not a dumb play if you make it, so forget that.

I never said or even hinted that Pie's play last night wasn't stupid, so not sure why you keep bringing up that it was. Everybody knows it was a terrible play. He was out by a mile.

An no, no player from a previous generation that was on a winning Orioles team ever made a mistake, left a runner in scoring position, threw to the wrong base, lost focus, misplayed a fly ball, failed to get down a sacrifice bunt, swung for the fences, or came out of a game after 100 pitches. Everybody was flawless, determined, and tough.

Come on Mackus. I have no issue with players making mistakes. I do have issues with players making mistakes where they had no business even THINKING about trying it, much less actually doing it.

Come on Mackus. I have no issue with players making mistakes. I do have issues with players making mistakes where they had no business even THINKING about trying it, much less actually doing it.
Everybody has a problem with the stupid mistake Pie made last night!

What are you talking about? Stop trying to make it seem as if anybody here is saying that play was not a horrible, horrible blunder.

Pie made 2 bad base-running blunders last night that changed the inning each time. This is what probably made Pie stand out more. His straight steal with Reimold hitting should have put him at 3rd base, yet he starts to run back to first? Seriously? Even I'd get that right.

Is there a book somewhere where it is written that thou shalt never take a base on a pop up. I've seen it happen successfully a number of times. Pies mistake was one that many made. He thought Mauer had caught the ball. As SG has said, had that been the case everyone, including you would have been applauding his alertness.

Pie made 2 bad base-running blunders last night that changed the inning each time. This is what probably made Pie stand out more. His straight steal with Reimold hitting should have put him at 3rd base, yet he starts to run back to first? Seriously? Even I'd get that right.
That one was completely excusable. Not pleasant, but understandable. He couldn't found the ball.

It would have been a much dumber play if he couldn't found the ball and Reimold had hit a high lazy fly ball to RF and he had kept running.

Again that's far from a good play, but its something that can happen to anyone and doesn't occur out of any lack of instincts or knowledge, it comes from him not being able to locate the ball as soon as it was hit and either not finding Samuel to tell him (which would be Pie's fault) or Samuel not telling him anything if he was looking at him (Samuel's fault).

No, you wouldn't. Not every time. Izturis has had it happen to him. Scott has, Huff has. I'd venture to say nearly everyone on our roster has had in their professional career at one point.

He was running, Reimold hit the ball to RF, Pie went into second base and couldn't find the ball. He was deked by the Twins players. Luckily he ended up at 2nd without issue (and ended up scoring, regardless). Was it a blunder? Yes, but it happens.

The second I can understand, but he should have been looking at Juan Samuel (who, is wrong as well, since he wasn't looking at the play) to see if he wanted him to go. Pie thought Mauer caught it instead of Morneau. It's understandable from his logic, but it was dumb. Dumb move by Pie, and dumb move by Samuel not to be following the play. He's a 3rd base coach. He doesn't do a damn thing that's athletic, so he gets paid to pay attention to plays like this.

Archived