Do you agree or disagree with Trembley's decision to "call out" Pie?

ChaosLex

Do you agree or disagree with Trembley's decision to "call out" Pie?  

183 members have voted

1. 1. Do you agree or disagree with Trembley's decision to "call out" Pie?

Is there a book somewhere where it is written that thou shalt never take a base on a pop up. I've seen it happen susccessfully a number of times. Pies mistake was one that many made. He thought Mauer had caught the ball. As SG has said, had that been the case everyone, including you would have been applauding his alertness.

And as I responded, the new rule instituted this year gives the runner a base anytime the ball is taken into the dugout by a player, so Pie would have gotten third base anyway.

And yes, people tag on pop ups down the line when the player is running away from the base they are throwing to. I have never seen someone tag up on a pop up in foul territory in the infield.

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply
And as I responded, the new rule instituted this year gives the runner a base anytime the ball is taken into the dugout by a player, so Pie would have gotten third base anyway.

I'm pretty sure most players don't know that rule. Or they haven't ingrained it in their head during game time situations.

And yes, people tag on pop ups down the line when the player is running away from the base they are throwing to. I have never seen someone tag up on a pop up in foul territory in the infield.

I've seen it before. I want to say twice this year.

I'm pretty sure most players don't know that rule. Or they haven't ingrained it in their head during game time situations.

I've seen it before. I want to say twice this year.

You've seen TWO people tag up on infield pop ups this season? :eektf:

That one was completely excusable. Not pleasant, but understandable. He couldn't found the ball.

It would have been a much dumber play if he couldn't found the ball and Reimold had hit a high lazy fly ball to RF and he had kept running.

Again that's far from a good play, but its something that can happen to anyone and doesn't occur out of any lack of instincts or knowledge, it comes from him not being able to locate the ball as soon as it was hit and either not finding Samuel to tell him (which would be Pie's fault) or Samuel not telling him anything if he was looking at him (Samuel's fault).

Watching the replay of the "steal", Pie gets to 2B, looks toward home, then looks squarely at Samuel. The camera pans back to include Samuel in the picture. His arms are raised above his head, then he suddeny drops them and looks away, towards what ever it is he likes to look at in LF. So what does that gesture mean? I have no idea and I wouldn't blame Pie if he didn't either. My best guess would be "hold up".:noidea:

Foul territory, near dugout [or in it], opposite field to where the runner is going to. Yes.

Okay sir...then while I think its one of the dumbest plays ever, I will fully admit to being wrong on the oddity of even trying it. I apologize!

Okay sir...then while I think its one of the dumbest plays ever, I will fully admit to being wrong on the oddity of even trying it. I apologize!

Think about it, though. If you're on second base with plus speed, and a ball is shifting to the dugout area (or even into the crowd), and the player dives (i.e. lands on the ground) or even into the crowd, he's going to have to recover, plant, and then throw. Some take those chances. I think it was dumb that Pie did it, but it happens.

Once again, Pie didn't lose this game. Bass did. And Mickolio. But some would say (me included) that Trembley mismanaged the bullpen terribly yesterday.

Foul territory, near dugout [or in it], opposite field to where the runner is going to. Yes.
I can't remember any this season, but I have definitely seen people tag up successfully on IF foul pop ups a number of times. But I have been watching baseball a looooooong time.:mwahaha:

Watching the replay of the "steal", Pie gets to 2B, looks toward home, then looks squarely at Samuel. The camera pans back to include Samuel in the picture. His arms are raised above his head, then he suddeny drops them and looks away, towards what ever it is he likes to look at in LF. So what does that gesture mean? I have no idea and I wouldn't blame Pie if he didn't either. My best guess would be "hold up".:noidea:

Could you possibly provide a link to this replay please? I don't see it on MASN's web site.

Where oh where is IHeartMASN when you need him?

Think about it, though. If you're on second base with plus speed, and a ball is shifting to the dugout area (or even into the crowd), and the player dives (i.e. lands on the ground) or even into the crowd, he's going to have to recover, plant, and then throw. Some take those chances. I think it was dumb that Pie did it, but it happens.

Once again, Pie didn't lose this game. Bass did. And Mickolio. But some would say (me included) that Trembley mismanaged the bullpen terribly yesterday.

I agree 100% with the bolded part. I get sick to my stomach every time Bass is brought in to the game.

I also can see someone being agressive and going for a play if the game is on the line. But not when there is only one out and your cleanup man is coming up.

Just another reason Samuel should have been fired and replaced a long time ago...

Trembley's loyalties don't just extend to his players, but his coaches too apparently. I wish he would have resolved the Samuel situation. It might have helped him keep his job...

Could you possibly provide a link to this replay please? I don't see it on MASN's web site.

Where oh where is IHeartMASN (aka Psycho Email Guy) when you need him?

I subscribe to MLBTV.com. It's in the archives, so I can't give you a link. You'll have to trust me. But I am an expert on the Zapruder film, so these kinds of things aren't new to me.:laughlol:

Mickolio may have picked up the L on the score card, but I can't see how you can put him in the same sentence with Bass for last night's loss or even assign him as much culpability as Pie. He pitched a great 8th inning and should have had three outs in the 9th before the trouble started. Roberts could have made that play on the Cuddyer hit, and then when Cuddyer scored it wasn't on a ball that was hit hard or deep and Markakis should have had a chance to make a play at the plate with a very good throw. Kam did walk a guy in between but he deserved a better fate.

He certainly deserved a better fate. If I had to put it in order of responsibility it'd be Bass, Kam, then Pie. Trembley is to be held responsible, though, even though it was the players. I wouldn't even put the blame on Kam or Pie, but just saying.

5 consecutive reaching base in a 6-3 game is absurd. Kam looked good. I'm a huge fan of his, but he was having problems with his control on the 3rd batter or so in the 9th.

MacPhail will fire Trembley if AM concludes that Trembley is showing favoritism in the club house. There are some indications of favoritism that is not based on playing performance. I don't know, but I'm becoming suspicious.

Archived