Fire Juan Samuel?

JTrea81

Should the Orioles fire Juan Samuel after his comments today?  

166 members have voted

1. 1. Should the Orioles fire Juan Samuel after his comments today?

• Yes, fire him immediately
    • No, he should stay on with the rest of the staff until the end of the season

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't recall Pie rounding 2nd. I recall him getting deked by the shortstop (who's name isn't Samuel), stopping, then looking in confusion at Samuel who at that point probably had his head in his hands in frustration.

He looked at the shortstop after he heard contact and he stopped. If he would have looked at his third base coach instead, the traffic light would have been green.

Samuel should've had his windmill going the entire time, as he seems to be prone to do anyway.

I know you were being facetious, but if his head were in is hands at that moment, then he's a disgrace as a 3rd base coach.

I don't recall Pie rounding 2nd. I recall him getting deked by the shortstop (who's name isn't Samuel), stopping, then looking in confusion at Samuel who at that point probably had his head in his hands in frustration.

He looked at the shortstop after he heard contact and he stopped. If he would have looked at his third base coach instead, the traffic light would have been green.

I think you need to review the play. You seem to be recalling things that serve your contentions, but didn't actually happen.:rolleyestf:

Samuel should've had his windmill going the entire time, as he seems to be prone to do anyway.

I know you were being facetious, but if his head were in is hands at that moment, then he's a disgrace as a 3rd base coach.

I'm sure he did have the windmill going. Pie could have moonwalked to third without any problem. All you've gotta do is look at your third base coach if you can't locate the ball.

It sure sounds to me like Samuel's a disgrace anyways.

I think you need to review the play. You seem to be recalling things that serve your contentions, but didn't actually happen.:rolleyestf:

Okay agendasaurus. It's way past my bedtime and frankly I couldn't care less. I'm mad at myself for continuing to pound my head against this brick wall to THIS point.

I'm tired of beating this dead horse.

Maybe the next guy they hire should get a gigantic flashing light, maybe it could be a traffic light to make it simple for them.

Sweet.

Yea, I quit awhile back!! There's no way you can penetrate their thick skulls!!

Okay agendasaurus. It's way past my bedtime and frankly I couldn't care less. I'm mad at myself for continuing to pound my head against this brick wall to THIS point.
Well I took the time to review both of the plays in question last evening may times, to try to get an idea as to what actually transpired. It ticks me off when someone who can't be bothered to do the same, can patronize people for talking about things he knows little or nothing about.

Well I took the time to review both of the plays in question last evening may times, to try to get an idea as to what actually transpired. It ticks me off when someone who can't be bothered to do the same, can patronize people for talking about things he knows little or nothing about.

Well, that's the problem with putting effort into discussions here. You can waste all manner of time, only to have somebody who can't be bothered to know what happened just blow it off to suit their arbitrary biases. What actually occurred doesn't even matter...

Maybe you missed my post where I said that I could care less whether or not they fire Samuel.

The third base coach is inconsequential when you have bad baserunners. Why can't YOU (and a few others) understand that?

Unless I'm mistaken, part of his job is being the baserunning coach.

Does the baserunning coach deserve blame when the baserunning is bad?

Well, that's the problem with putting effort into discussions here. You can waste all manner of time, only to have somebody who can't be bothered to know what happened just blow it off to suit their arbitrary biases. What actually occurred doesn't even matter...

Well, when you're wrong, deny, deny, deny, or detract, detract, detract!

"For some reason, they're not processing it," said Samuel, who has served as the Orioles' base running coach the past three seasons. "It's just a lack of concentration, because they know. They are major league players, or at least we think some of them are. To me, some of them are not. Some of them to me have to be thankful that expansion came because some of them wouldn't be here. Some of the stuff that you see them do is not OK. You're going to tell me that they are in the big leagues and don't know how to run the bases?"

"It has never bothered me to take criticism," said Samuel, who stole 396 bases and was a three-time All-Star during his 16-year career in the big leagues. "I'm man enough to do it. If they don't want to make the players accountable, then I'm going to be accountable. But to me, players need to be accountable. If you make a mistake, you need to take responsibility for your mistake. You have to do it. That's why you see teams that are up here [in the standings] and teams that are down here, because they don't want to be accountable. It's always somebody else's [fault], and that's a problem."

Simply put, these two statements are why Samuel should be gone. You can argue how many mistakes are his and you can argue what importance a third base coach has on the game but you can not argue that this is ridiculously unprofessional.

To me, its not the third base coach's responsibility to publically beat down your players. Freak out on them all you want in private but to say this publically is just inane.

The second quote is kinda funny. He talks about accountability and not blaming others then reluctantly states that if they are going to blame him then he is man enough to take it but in the same breath says its not really his fault. Way to set an example Juan.

To Hank's point about the irrelevance of a third base coach, you know if he is that irrelevant as you have said than the last thing he should be doing is ripping players in the paper. What he should do is shut up, and like you said, barehand foul balls, fist bump home run trots and avoid being beaned by foul line drives, leave the public flogging of players (read Pie) to Trembley.

Archived