What teams are being run poorly?

NewMarketSean

Now that the Orioles (or Angelos) have gotten their act together and are making realistic steps toward respectability, I wonder, what teams are run like the Orioles were in the early/mid-2000's?

It seems like, for the most part, most teams are catching on to spending less and getting more through player development and international scouting. Their approaches to this strategy may vary, but it seems to me, that most teams have their act together, at least in some regard.

So that leaves me with the question -- were the Orioles just that bad? Are there other teams out there running themselves into the ground via bad ownership and front office management?

Over the past few years it could be argued that teams like the Nationals, Pirates, Royals, Giants and Padres were run poorly. Usually though, unless you are right there watching things as they happen you won't notice the effects on another team for a few years.

The Pirates and Royals have been trying to rebuild for years, just like we have.

The Nationals have too, but I do know there are some problems in-house with Bowden, but he's gone. I've heard some not-too-great things about the Lerners too.

The Giants are fighting for the playoff spot and I know little about the Padres.

But the point I was getting at is that we're trying to do now what all teams have been doing for a while...which makes it that much more harder for us to be successful at it. We could easily be where the Pirates and Royals continue to be, waiting for our core to come together to warrant signing free agents.

The Pirates and Royals have been trying to rebuild for years, just like we have.

The Nationals have too, but I do know there are some problems in-house with Bowden, but he's gone. I've heard some not-too-great things about the Lerners too.

The Giants are fighting for the playoff spot and I know little about the Padres.

But the point I was getting at is that we're trying to do now what all teams have been doing for a while...which makes it that much more harder for us to be successful at it. We could easily be where the Pirates and Royals continue to be, waiting for our core to come together to warrant signing free agents.

I figured you had a negative agenda and would try to spin everything, but I tried.

What's your definition of being run poorly, W/L record strictly? Because that's an easy answer. Someone posted a bang for buck type of list from another website not too long ago. That would be the list I would refer to because it encompassed many things like ticket and beer price.

Many are worried that the Mets are beginning to slip into this category too.

Do you think they're run bad or just have bad luck with injuries? They've had a ton of impact players go down for lengthy times the past 2 seasons.

Do you think they're run bad or just have bad luck with injuries? They've had a ton of impact players go down for lengthy times the past 2 seasons.

Me, personally, I don't really know. I know they've gotten a boatload of injuries this year. I'm just saying that I ahve heard people sayign that with the lack of minor league prospects in their system, they may be becoming a team on the downslide.

Yankee$. Every year, they spend $200MM on payroll, and they haven't won a World Series since 2000. They still spend smart enough to buy the AL East on a pretty regular basis, but not so well as to survive the playoffs.

You think the current Red $ox front office would compile a record like that if they had an extra $50-70MM to play with every season? The Cardinals? The White Sox?

My list of poorly run organizations:

Toronto (Ricciardi is an idiot)

Kansas City (Moore is an idiot)

Marlins (Loria is an idiot)

Astros (Wade is a huge idiot)

Pirates (Huntington is an idiot)

San Francisco (Sabean is an idiot)

Nationals (The whole organization is idiotsville)

Padres (I can't even name an owner or GM in SD, but Padres are in nowheresville)

I have gripes with most teams, but I think these are the bottom of the pile.

I'm going to say that Beane is completely overrated because of Moneyball, and isn't really as good of a GM as he used to be because he hasn't found a new market inefficiency to exploit yet. This is why I think Oakland is a bad team.

Bavasi was a huge idiot and screwed the Mariners, but I think they may be out of my "bad team" list for the moment.

I don't know much about Cincinnati but I can't figure out why they are bad or who is responsible.

I just want to make fun of the Cubs and Mets who think they are hot stuff, when in reality what is happening to both teams this year is because of overpaying and overvaluing old players and having no farm system.

I also think Mark Shapiro is killing Cleveland.

tl;dr Half of baseball is poorly run.

I'm going to say that Beane is completely overrated because of Moneyball, and isn't really as good of a GM as he used to be because he hasn't found a new market inefficiency to exploit yet. This is why I think Oakland is a bad team.

It's a lot harder now. It's no longer a new idea, and everybody's got stats on a PC...

Archived