Orioles in the AFL

JTrea81

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Great to hear this about Snyder, especially the observation about his patient at the plate and his professional approach overall. This kind of polish counts for a lot among the gatekeepers of MLB (and no I don't mean the guys at the turnstiles). He sounds like he is ready to made a serious run at a spot on the 25-man. I'm really interested to see him and Bell at the big league level.

Many thanks. AFL sounds like a lot of fun.

We had a chance to speak with Moe Hill prior to the game. He mentioned that Bell has been having to make some adjustments, tho nothing major. He also replied to my remarks about Desme (Oakland A's prospect on the Desert Dogs) that he'd been having a couple of down days of late.

Then we mentioned Snyder -- his face lit up, and as we've known him from our (my) days as a Bowie fan, he jokingly replied, "We won't be seeing him in Bowie again!"

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PuvPjnzDCqg&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PuvPjnzDCqg&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PuvPjnzDCqg&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PuvPjnzDCqg&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

Nice clip. I like the look of Snyder in that "Baltimore" uniform! And, he looks a lttle faster than the last time I saw him. Though I think a major league OF catches that ball he hit.

Well, that stinks. I'm more annoyed that he's missing a start than I am that he's missing this game. Now Erbe will pitch twice more at most and his oinnings will be very limited.

The bottom of the article mentions Bell might get a spot due to injury as well. It would be nice to see Synder and Bell in the lineup.

I really like this. Snyder's pattern until recently is that he takes walks only when he isn't hitting well; when on a hot streak, he becomes much less discriminating. The big drawback to that approach is that pitchers are most likely to pitch around you when you're hot, and challenge you when you're not.

If he has learned to stay disciplined during the hot streaks, he becomes a much more effective and productive hitter.

I see your point, but it is encouraging to see a hitter getting on base by any means necessary. Also just because he's not walking as much during his "hot streaks" doesn't mean he is not disciplined.

Maybe he's just hitting strikes.

Talked to Erbe at today's game. Indeed, his right pinky was wrapped, and as Steve reported, he told me he had just jammed it and they were waiting to let the inflammation cool down. He anticipates starting Tuesday or Wednesday of next week -- but of course, he probably has only a little say in that. :D

He also remarked (kidded? not sure) that he's lost all of his athleticism, and that was why he keeps getting injured. Regardless, he didn't seem very concerned about his finger, so that was a good thing.

Talked to Erbe at today's game. Indeed, his right pinky was wrapped, and as Steve reported, he told me he had just jammed it and they were waiting to let the inflammation cool down. He anticipates starting Tuesday or Wednesday of next week -- but of course, he probably has only a little say in that. :D

He also remarked (kidded? not sure) that he's lost all of his athleticism, and that was why he keeps getting injured. Regardless, he didn't seem very concerned about his finger, so that was a good thing.

Maybe

Erbe needs to go with Roberts and Matusz this offseason to work on that athleticism. I wonder how much those offseason programs cost? That could limit some of these guys from going unless the Orioles pay for that stuff, which I doubt.

Good question, and something I've thought about. The O's should suggest and even ask most top prospects (A guy like Bundy is a perfect example) to train in one of these programs. They should pay the costs for minor leaguers, even guys like Bundy who got big bonuses. It's an investment (not knowing the exact amount) but the rewards are worth it, IMO.

Their website doesn't list the price. I just went and looked. They do offer many different levels of service so it doesn't seem like you have to do the whole deal or nothing.

I do wonder if the Yankees for example treat their minor leaguers to more offseason conditioning programs than other lesser markets do? This seems like a place where money would be well spent. The difficulty would be deciding who gets that treatment and who doesn't. Top 10? Top 20? Top 100?

At some point, if the cost is high enough (have no idea if it is $10k per person or $25k or $100k) if they want enough guys to do it, the Os should just hire their own trainers at their own complex.

Still, I do not believe Erbe needs the agility and coordination drills that Roberts does.

The cost of such training programs are very expensive. Strictly running and agility programs easily run over $1000 a month (for a few sessions a week). Private lessons with a strength and agility coach can cost over $100 an hour. A program such as API in Arizona where you work out all day and they cook all your meals, I can only imagine the cost. That is probably why they do not list the cost on their website, they are used to dealing with agents, organizations, and professional athletes who can afford such training. It is not really a walk-in and sign-up type of deal.

That is an excellent question bird watcher posed: Does the organization cover such costs? And if so, who are eligible to receive such training? All prospects, only select ones? I wonder if anyone on here knows. Sometimes I bet the agent will cover the costs, such as the case with NFL Draft prospects.

Even if the cost went up to $1 million per year, wouldn't it be worth it? And while $1 million isn't a drop in the bucket, it should be more than affordable.

I like the idea of the O's setting up their own program even more, as it would give players at different levels a chance to bond.

I see your point, but it is encouraging to see a hitter getting on base by any means necessary. Also just because he's not walking as much during his "hot streaks" doesn't mean he is not disciplined.

Maybe he's just hitting strikes.

Relying on balls in play to keep up your OBP means that a hitter will go through stretches when he is making outs 75 p.c. or 80 p.c. of the time even when he is hitting the ball hard. This is what happened to Snyder at Norfolk. A hitter who has a strong BB component to his OBP will keep getting on base even when balls aren't falling in.

I have never seen Snyder in person, but I bet when he gets to Baltimore we will see a great pure hitter who is able to hit pitches all around the plate. When he gets locked in, he probably goes up swinging at the first pitch close to the plate, because he knows he can hit it hard.

But no, he isn't hitting just strikes. Baseball doesn't work that way. When pitchers know that you'll swing at stuff out of the zone, they throw you more stuff out of the zone. Lay off those pitches, they start trying to come over the plate -- that's when you see more strikes to hit, or taking more BBs.

Even if the cost went up to $1 million per year, wouldn't it be worth it? And while $1 million isn't a drop in the bucket, it should be more than affordable.

I like the idea of the O's setting up their own program even more, as it would give players at different levels a chance to bond.

I see your point, but I like the idea of O's working out with players from other teams and other sports in the offseason. 162 games is a lot. I think they need to get away from each other at some point.

I see your point, but I like the idea of O's working out with players from other teams and other sports in the offseason. 162 games is a lot. I think they need to get away from each other at some point.

Not only that, but when you work out with the best players from other teams you get a competitive atmosphere where everyone works harder.

Unfortunately, we won't be seeing any games against Surprise, Scheppers' team, and I don't believe he's on the Rising Stars rosters for Saturday's game. If Surprise makes it to the championship, perhaps you [we] will be able see him on that broadcast.

Turns out I was wrong about Scheppers! He's announced as a 'bullpen' pitcher and may see some time during the game as part of the West team rotation. Hope you're watching :)

Archived