Orioles in the AFL

JTrea81

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I know there's a good argument for Erbe as a relief pitcher if his stamina/pitch efficiency is inadequate for a starter, but if he's consistently feeling his way through the first couple of innings you have to ask how effective he'd be as a reliever.

Of course, being able to just come out of the pen and fire the ball could help with that.

I'm still not giving up on Erbe the starter until he proves he can't handle it.

This was actually mentioned a few months ago. This is the reason he probably will not be a reliever. He is an SP, and he should remain one. He's continued to pitch well now in the AFL though small sample size, but I am pretty impressed. His success in the AFL also to me makes me optimistic in his ability to get the more advanced hitters out. He passed the AA test, now, against slightly tougher competition, he is doing more of the same against the tougher AFL hitters. I can't wait to see how he does in AAA, though these AFL hitters are basically for the most part going to be the guys he faces next year in AAA.

He just doubled the number of walks he's drawn in the AFL so far.

By the way, every player in the Phoenix lineup today was hitting over .300. Yeah, it's a hitter's league all right. It makes Erbe's numbers so far pretty impressive.

It does make his numbers more impressive. I really wish I could view his PITCH FX from his past 2 games. For some reason I couldn't get them to work right at Brooksbaseball. I had been trying to closely monitor his velocity to see if it begins to come back up or not, but strangely enough, without mid 90's heat, he is having the best sustained success of his career. On top of that, its in the upper minors against tougher competition. AA is the first level that they say you can begin to get an idea of what the ball player's future MLB performance may resemble. Not necessarily THIS good, but where Erbe is succeeding at is where the numbers start to mean slightly more than they used to, which is a good thing. What I think it is, is that Erbe turned a corner(or 2) and he is THIS good, its just that he has not sustained the success long enough for national publication to take it seriously, but they do notice. If he keeps this up, he will boost his stock pretty well during the 2010 season.

After reading over stats all day, and trying to find patterns and correlations, I noticed that there were a few pitchers who did not have very much success at all during their time in the MiL until the final year before they were called up. Derek Lowe is a good example of this. He really was not a successful MiL pitcher until his last year or so when I guess thigns clicked for him and he became a future #2 SP innings eater. I really have a feeling this is what just happened for Erbe.

After reading over stats all day, and trying to find patterns and correlations, I noticed that there were a few pitchers who did not have very much success at all during their time in the MiL until the final year before they were called up. Derek Lowe is a good example of this. He really was not a successful MiL pitcher until his last year or so when I guess thigns clicked for him and he became a future #2 SP innings eater. I really have a feeling this is what just happened for Erbe.

I think Erbe has been pretty successful throughout his minor league career, except 2007 when he played at Frederick at age 19. He was very good in 2008, except for a few starts that really skewed his ERA. If memory serves, his ERA in 20 of his 27 starts was a shade under 2.00, while the other 7 here up over 7.00 (and those came in little bunches).

Stephen Strasburg has his scheduled pitching day Saturday, and he's on the roster for that game. Weams and I will be out there Thurs-Sat, and we're both hoping we get a chance to see him that night, at least for a couple of innings.

Btw, Eddie Gamboa is still looking pretty good, giving up 2 hits but again no runs in today's game. He's only given up 1 run so far, and that was in his first game. Admittedly small sample size of 6.1 innings total over 4 games, but what a nice ERA of 1.42.

Stephen Strasburg has his scheduled pitching day Saturday, and he's on the roster for that game. Weams and I will be out there Thurs-Sat, and we're both hoping we get a chance to see him that night, at least for a couple of innings.

Btw, Eddie Gamboa is still looking pretty good, giving up 2 hits but again no runs in today's game. He's only given up 1 run so far, and that was in his first game. Admittedly small sample size of 6.1 innings total over 4 games, but what a nice ERA of 1.42.

Nice. Enjoy; looking forward to your report.

Archived