Orioles in the AFL

JTrea81

As optimistic as I've been for Snyder, this is a bit extreme. Youk was known for tremendous plate discipline throughout the minors. Snyder has been known for his high contact rate/batting average. It's only in the past year or so when Snyder has faced advanced pitching and perhaps when he's been asked to focus on taking pitches that we seen jumps in his BB rate.

I suspect that this is true--as he gets closer to the majors, more attention is being given to refining his natural hitting tools, which seem to be substantial.

In reviewing Snyder's MiL record, I'm struck by the fact that he has been able to maintain a .360 BABIP at every level when he wasn't injured. Even throwing in the seasons when he was injured or recovering from the labrum surgery, he shows a .350 career BABIP through 1786 PA--enough to be significant. To me this indicates a superior ability at squaring up on pitches and put the ball in play with authority (especially since Snyder isn't getting a lot of leg hits).

The list of hitters who are able to post .350-plus BABIPs from season to season is very short. You have to start looking at names like Gwynn, Boggs, and Carew. I am NOT predicting that Snyder will be in that class as a hitter, but if you want to visualize the kind of consistency required to put up a .350 BABIP, that's what you're looking at: pitch after pitch stroked with authority, sprayed all over the field.

Anyway Snyder's hitting development was probably somewhat deferred in the early part of his MiL career, which was spent bouncing around positions and working around the injury and rehab. But now that he has settled in, he has entered the refinement stage. Very likely, he has always had good strike zone judgment--he just hasn't been using it. The continued improvement in his walk rate is great to see, and I think it indicates that we haven't yet seen what he can become.

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I doubt that's it. The players hitting behind him here are extremely good. One even leads the league in HRs. The players hitting behind him at Bowie were a lot less good.

This isn't the worst thing that could happen to him in the minors. Learning how to take the pitches three or four inches off the plate is critical to being a well-rounded and effective hitter.

I don't need to be convinced that Snyder can swing the bat. He obviously can. The unanswered question is whether he can pick his spots and be an effective overall hitter who doesn't need a .320 BA to be an asset.

I suspect that this is true--as he gets closer to the majors, more attention is being given to refining his natural hitting tools, which seem to be substantial.

In reviewing Snyder's MiL record, I'm struck by the fact that he has been able to maintain a .360 BABIP at every level when he wasn't injured. Even throwing in the seasons when he was injured or recovering fro the labrum surgery, he shows a .350 career BABIP through 1786 PA--enough to be significant. To me this indicates a superior ability at squaring up on pitches and put the ball in play with authority (especially since Snyder isn't getting a lot of leg hits).

The list of hitters who are able to post .350-plus BABIPs from season to season is very short. You have to start looking at names like Gwynn, Boggs, and Carew. I am NOT predicting that Snyder will be in that class as a hitter, but if you want to visualize the kind of consistency required to put up a .350 BABIP, that's what you're looking at: pitch after pitch stroked with authority, sprayed all over the field.

Anyway Snyder's hitting development was probably somewhat deferred in the early part of his MiL career, which was spent bouncing around positions and working around the injury and rehab. But now that he has settled in, he has entered the refinement stage. Very likely, he has always had good strike zone judgment--he just hasn't been using it. The continued improvement in his walk rate is great to see, and I think it indicates that we haven't yet seen what he can become.

I agree with what you say, especially the last paragraph. He IMO is gonna surprise many when he comes up. He is a special hitter, and he continues to show us that...

Look, I'm a card-carrying Reimold fan. Hearing that Snyder's at bats look like Reimold's at-bats is music to my ears. In my opinion, Reimold is the only current Oriole that consistently has great at-bats. I'm talking about 'professional' at-bats, like the 2-strike at bats that Damon and Matsui had over and over again in the WS. Those at-bats, and the professionalism of being able to alter your approach at the plate based on in-game situations, to me made the difference in this WS.

If Snyder looks like Reimold at the plate he's gold.

Look, I'm a card-carrying Reimold fan. Hearing that Snyder's at bats look like Reimold's at-bats is music to my ears. In my opinion, Reimold is the only current Oriole that consistently has great at-bats. I'm talking about 'professional' at-bats, like the 2-strike at bats that Damon and Matsui had over and over again in the WS. Those at-bats, and the professionalism of being able to alter your approach at the plate based on in-game situations, to me made the difference in this WS.

If Snyder looks like Reimold at the plate he's gold.

I've seen Snyder play many, many times. He is a pure hitter, it seems everything hits is hit hard.

I have little doubt he is going to be a very good player. The question to me is how good? Is he going to be a .300/.355/.475 guy or can he become a .315/.400/.500 or so guy?

I feel pretty confident that Snyder can be a .300 hitter and an .800-.825 OPS guy. Unfortunately, that doesn't seem to be good enough for some.:confused:

Interesting comparison to say the least. The following was John Sickels rundown of Youkilis from 2003. K Zone judgement and BB's still in favor of KY but other areas are not too far apart, also Snyder is 22 not 24.

Youkilis

Background

The Red Sox drafted Kevin Youkilis in the eighth round in 2001, out of the University of Cincinnati. A college senior, he'd played well with a wooden bat in the Cape Cod League after his junior year, getting on the prospect radar due to his bat. But questions about his defense and power with wood kept him out of the top part of the draft. Youkilis hit .317 in short-season ball after signing, but what was especially interesting was his superb strike-zone judgment. He's continued drawing buckets of walks at the higher levels, without many strikeouts, and has quickly become a favorite of the new Boston administration under general manager Theo Epstein.

Scouting report

Youkilis is an on-base machine. He never swings at a bad pitch, and is adept at working counts and outthinking the pitcher. Unlike some guys who draw lots of walks, Youkilis seldom strikes out. He makes solid contact against both fastballs and breaking pitches. Youkilis' swing is tailored for the line drive, and he may never hit for much home run power. But he hits balls to the gaps effectively, and could develop 10-14 home run power down the road. Youkilis does not have very good speed, though he is a decent baserunner. His defense at third base draws mixed reviews. His arm, range, and hands all rate as adequate/average. He doesn't kill the defense at third base, but he doesn't help it much, either, and is likely to end up at first base down the road.

Performance

Having spent the last seven weeks of 2002 at Double-A, Youkilis now has the equivalent of a complete season at that level under his belt. This comes out to a .330 average in 136 games, with 110 runs, 33 doubles, 11 homers, 62 RBI, 12 steals, 115 walks, and only 58 strikeouts in 467 at-bats, with a .462 OBP. This is equivalent to a batting average around .305 at the major-league level, with an OBP over .400. Not shabby at all for a 24-year-old, and a great basis for development.

I've seen Snyder play many, many times. He is a pure hitter, it seems everything hits is hit hard.

I have little doubt he is going to be a very good player. The question to me is how good? Is he going to be a .300/.355/.475 guy or can he become a .315/.400/.500 or so guy?

I feel pretty confident that Snyder can be a .300 hitter and an .800-.825 OPS guy. Unfortunately, that doesn't seem to be good enough for some.:confused:

He won't be a .400 OBP guy. But .375 is possible. Put that with a .475-.500 SLG and I'll take that gladly.

Interesting that Snyder isn't playing tonight for PDD. I don't think he played in the previous game either. I checked the team roster page and didn't see his name there either. I haven't heard of an injury, can someone shed some light here?

Seems like people lost interest in the AFL with the news that Snyder and Waring had gone home and Erbe still nursing a finger injury.

Josh Bell went 7 for 20 with 2 doubles and 2 BB last week, bringing his overall line to .320/.400/.467. In an interesting twist, Bell has gone 9 for 17 with 3 doubles and 3 BB vs. LHP in the AFL.

Matt Angle went 2 for 13 with a HR and 3 BB last week. His overall line is .267/.352/.367.

Ryohei Tanaka got creamed in his one outing last week: 2.2 IP, 7 ER. That was his second terrible outing in a row and his ERA now sits at 8.62.

Eddie Gamboa pitched 2 scoreless innings last week and his ERA is at 3.00.

Josh Perrault also pitched 2 scoreless innings and his ERA is a 2.08.

Archived