Orioles in the AFL

JTrea81

Bell's AFL stats are pretty decent. I know they aren't the perfect barometer, but I wonder if there is any chance he's closer than some believe? It will be interesting to see how he does both offensively and defensively in ST.

I have little doubt that Bell could hit righties in the ML at a decent clip right now- something like .260/.330/.420 and gradually improving. But he needs some time in AAA to figure out what he's going to do against lefties (nice to see the numbers looked good in the AFL, would like to get a scout's take) and to shore up a couple of defensive issues.

My reasonable timeline for Bell is most of 2009 in AAA, largely focusing on those problems, and a September call up. That should set him up for a .750-.850 OPS season in 2010.

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Josh Bell hit a double today against Randor Bierd (thrown out at home on a Loewen single) and later struck out swinging, again facing Bierd (RHP for those who didn't otherwise remember ;)). I thought it was great that he got that double, since Bierd is one of those, like Donnie Veal, who are of the AAA caliber out there this year that he's had the chance to face.

Just now, he hit a 3-run homer off RHP Tim Kiely.

Desert Dogs are up 8-1, and Josh is having a pretty good day. :)

p.s. If they win this game today, we should get one last chance to see Bell before the offseason, in the championship game Saturday (MLB Network at 2:30 pm ET and probably on mlb.com again); guessing that they have him in the starting lineup for that. If they face the Javelinas, it should be a great game; we saw them face off two weeks ago, and Peoria has a pretty talented team. I'm really looking forward to it. Hope the PDD clinch today!

If they hold onto the lead, the Desert Dogs will win their division. They'd then play in the championship game.

Yes, I think that's what I said...guess it wasn't stated well. :( Didn't know about Strasburg tho, so thanks! (I hope he doesn't major-league us again!)

Not sure if the championship game counts in the AFL stats. Going into that game, Josh Bell's line:

.319/.388/.516, 2 HR, 19 RBI in 91 AB. Generally good numbers but I'm a little surprised he only hit 2 HR in that environment. He did hit 10 doubles, though, including 3 as a RHB in a mere 18 AB.

Overall, the AFL was pretty encouraging for most of the O's prospects. Snyder finished 8th in BA, 6th in OBP, 10th in SLG, 5th in OPS. In a league with a 5.35 ERA, Erbe's was 2.00, Gamboa's was 2.70, Perrault's was 3.38 and Tanaka's was 6.86 (he got crushed in two outings near the end). Waring posted .257/.317/.543 and Angle .236/.333/.316.

I'm kind of sorry Snyder stayed home after attending that wedding last week, it would have been fun to see him in the championship game tomorrow.

I missed the game--expected it to be this evening.

I see Angle 2-for-4 with a triple, Perrault the loser with a blown save.

What especially impressed you w/Angle?

He put a good swing on a high-fastball and got an easy triple out of it. Next at-bat, runner on first, he put down a perfect drag-bunt and the defense didn't have a chance. Then he stole second on a double steal. Really heads-up player that would be perfect in an already strong line-up.

He put a good swing on a high-fastball and got an easy triple out of it. Next at-bat, runner on first, he put down a perfect drag-bunt and the defense didn't have a chance. Then he stole second on a double steal. Really heads-up player that would be perfect in an already strong line-up.

If wonder if Angle could field. Eventual replacement for Brian Roberts??:scratchchinhmm:

Missed the triple but saw the bunt: it was a thing of beauty. Perfectly placed.

On an unrelated note: I met a couple of Angle's relatives a couple of years back. It he's half as nice as they were he's a guy worth rooting for.

Archived