Are Stats for Dorks?

Hooded Viper

I am an intelligent person who makes a decent living and basically wonder why baseball fans have become dorks? I mean, I played in college and I read this site and I read all of the theories that are spewed and I respect the passion. What cracks me up are the guys who have never played a sport in their lives but because a certain stat drives a player that they refuse to trust their own eyes? Are we so stat driven that we just forget about instincts? I mean I can basically watch a player and know if they are good. Case in point, Bill Ripkin. Nothing about the man says he could play at the pro level but he did. Not at an allstar level but better than 90% of people in the world. My point is we get way to caught up in stats that we forget, sometimes, to watch the freakin player. Sometimes a guy is just good regardless of the stats. Pete Rose is anothter freak of nature. All I am saying is the stats tell us a lot but they never replace instincts or humanity. Just my 2 Cents.

Billy Ripkin in the top ten percent of people in the world at baseball!?!?!? Can you show us some real stats to back that up?

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Billy Ripkin in the top ten percent of people in the world at baseball!?!?!? Can you show us some real stats to back that up?

Sure. There are about 7 billion people on the planet. Somewhere between 750 and 1200 or so are on a MLB roster at any given time.

Do the math.

Sure. There are about 7 billion people on the planet. Somewhere between 750 and 1200 or so are on a MLB roster at any given time.

Do the math.

Well, ten percent is a lot of people. There's probably quite a few people on the boards here that would be included in that number.

And I think if having a great athlete/ballplayer for a brother, a legendary coach for a father and having played the sport your entire life is "nothing" when it comes to him playing major league baseball, than there's nothing about practically ANYONE saying the same.

Do the math.

Yea, every pro baseball player is in the top 0.0001% of all people in the world in baseball ability. If you randomly formed the world into 25-man baseball teams, on average you'd have to pick about 280,000 teams before stumbling upon a major league player.

Well, ten percent is a lot of people. There's probably quite a few people on the boards here that would be included in that number.

And I think if having a great athlete/ballplayer for a brother, a legendary coach for a father and having played the sport your entire life is "nothing" when it comes to him playing major league baseball, than there's nothing about practically ANYONE saying the same.

I'd guess somewhere north of 90% of the people in the world have never played baseball. So just being in reasonable shape, between the ages of 10 and 50, and owning a baseball glove might put you in the top 10% of the world in baseball skills.

I honestly don't know what you're saying here, BT. :)

I honestly don't know what you're saying here, BT. :)

I figured it out.

Yea, every pro baseball player is in the top 0.0001% of all people in the world in baseball ability. If you randomly formed the world into 25-man baseball teams, on average you'd have to pick about 280,000 teams before stumbling upon a major league player.

I don't know if you are all playing along with my sarcasm or completely missing it.

Archived