Are Stats for Dorks?

Hooded Viper

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply
One thing I do find peculiar about this site is how much anti-lawyer jokes there are here. It is like I have somehow been trapped in the 1980s. Who makes fun of lawyers anymore?

You have your answer in front of you. It's pretty amazing to me, too. And not just because nearly all of them are directed at me. I mean, I taught university, wrote, published a book of poetry, and worked as a wine broker selling classified growth Bordeaux, all of which I did for longer than I've been a lawyer.

The steady stream of lawyer jokes calls to mind Emerson's "foolish consistency." Only moreso. Then again, it is the season of hobgoblins.

I only asked the question about "real life" because it seems to me that a lot of folks who post on here - and use statistics - actually have pretty full lives (families, hobbies, passions, etc.) Granted, I get that sense second-hand because I don't know people in person. But I'd be loathe to say that somone with a job, a wife, and a couple of rugrats doesn't have a "real life."

I certainly wasn't defending myself - my life is what it is. I work hard, drink too much, date waitresses, watch a lot of live rock and roll, visit museums and galleries, bluff my way through dinner parties, read fitfully and mostly try to stave off boredom. All of which may, or may not, be real.

Chicks dig the long ball, and Dorks dig wOBA. :laughlol: One of the reasons stats are helpful IMO, is that I can't watch games live very often. When I watch on TV there is a great deal the camera work doesn't allow my "eyes" to see. Stats can help make up for that.

Exactly. And not just that: they help w/r/t players and teams who you don't get to watch daily.

But rep birds are just a silly stat measuring what other people actually think about a person's posts. Nothing more than an achievement for dorks.

I for one don't need such silliness, and can tell how good a person's posts are using my own eyes.

That's a gold-glove and all star calibre post!

You have your answer in front of you. It's pretty amazing to me, too. And not just because nearly all of them are directed at me. I mean, I taught university, wrote, published a book of poetry, and worked as a wine broker selling classified growth Bordeaux, all of which I did for longer than I've been a lawyer.

The steady stream of lawyer jokes calls to mind Emerson's "foolish consistency." Only moreso. Then again, it is the season of hobgoblins.

I only asked the question about "real life" because it seems to me that a lot of folks who post on here - and use statistics - actually have pretty full lives (families, hobbies, passions, etc.) Granted, I get that sense second-hand because I don't know people in person. But I'd be loathe to say that somone with a job, a wife, and a couple of rugrats doesn't have a "real life."

I certainly wasn't defending myself - my life is what it is. I work hard, drink too much, date waitresses, watch a lot of live rock and roll, visit museums and galleries, bluff my way through dinner parties, read fitfully and mostly try to stave off boredom. All of which may, or may not, be real.

I actually find the group of people who dismiss "stats" as far more insulting and stubborn in their discussions then those who use them...

They complain that stat geeks are too dismissive, but in my experience it's totally opposite.

Non-statheads more often then not seem to take a position they are glued to and no amount of evidence will change it. Furthermore, they take it to a personal place--assuming that whoever uses stats must never have played the game or even a sport...or that statheads must not even have lives...

It's pretty insulting.

I don't consider myself a "stathead" simply because I don't know them extremely well...I have decent knowledge but nothing spectacular. Nevertheless, I much prefer to rely on them then just some "baseball man's" observations.

(and shocking enough...I played highschool ball and metro ball...I've got a pretty demanding job...I even have a long-term relationship with a good looking girl and have a bunch of friends I go drink with....but here I am, talking about WAR and fangraphs...impossible, I know)

At least statheads are willing to look at the stats and move off of their previous notions in light of new evidence...

:eektf:

I think it's pretty clear that stats are indeed for dorks. I don't see how anybody can argue with that.

Just look at the crew around here: mostly guys with computers and not enough Real Life.

However, that's a completely different issue than how useful stats are...

LOL:laughlol:!

I do not think about stats 24/7:)

However I do truly love my Os!!!!!:):clap3::wedge:

Believe!!!!

I can answer this.

People who have to spend $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ on them....and it never ends:(

To be fair, you don't have to spend money on them. (BTW, Cindy, I don't deal w/ individuals. Just to be clear.)

Back to the point, however: I like to check my instinct and/or observations against something I didn't create, something a little less subjective. It's a very OCD habit of mine. I really enjoy the counterbalance stats provide.

I can answer this.

People who have to spend $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ on them....and it never ends:(

The same, I have yet to meet a lawyer that was thrilled to have had to put three years of their life and around $150K into getting their law degree...

Did you ever wanna be a courtroom lawyer?

I was unclear. Which is ironic in the sense that I said "just to be clear." Individuals are sometimes parties to stuff I work on. Just not my clients.

I like the idea of courtroom work a lot more than I like what it would mean for my life at this point. It's actually a pretty big crossroad for me, career-wise.

Much of what makes a good trial attorney is what makes a good teacher. And that was - and remains - the job that I loved most and that I was best at.

Archived