Tillman not part of "the core?"

JTrea81

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't think he is. There are those within the organization that think he might be a 4th starter type when it all said and done.

I hope that faction of the organization is pushing AM to sign some talented pitching. Lackey, Harden, trade for Zambrano, Vazquez.. something... if Tillman doesn't fill a solid #3 role or better, we're going to need to add to this pitching recipe or be completely surprised by Arrietta and/or Britton.

Maybe Tillman was there too, and you just can't see him because of the angle. Ooh, maybe he was the photographer!

This thread is heading for Classic Status!

Note to ElGordo. This is just my opinion. I don't KNOW for sure if this thread will reach Classic Status, I just THINK it may based on the 5 pages of posts thus far. I have no inside knowledge or crystal ball to KNOW for sure if it will reach its potential! :laughlol:

"I don't see him as a front-of-the-rotation guy," the scout said. "I see him as more of a solid No. 4, No. 5 type guy. Don't get me wrong. He's got a good feel for pitching. He throws strikes. He's got a very good feel for what he's doing. But to me, he's kind of like an Ian Kennedy -- a guy who's advanced for his level, as far as knowing how to pitch. But his stuff isn't that dominating. I don't see enough power pitches to call him an ace."

One scouts opinion on Tillman. We know scouts differ on opinions. The Weiters slow bat thing comes to mind. The thing that scares me if people think he is not great do the Orioles have the arms to be competitive soon?

Here is a scouts opinion of Arrieta. As usual one mans opinion.

08 (A+) 9.56 K/9 | 4.06 BB/9 | 113 IP | .56 HR/9 | 2.87 ERA (3.39 FIP) | 1.16 WHIP

09 (AA) 10.68 K/9 | 3.51 BB/9 | 59 IP | .61 HR/9 | 2.59 ERA (3.08 FIP) | 1.15 WHIP

09 (AAA) 8.19 K/9 | 2.85 BB/9 | 62 2/3 IP | 1.01 HR/9 | 4.74 ERA (3.98 FIP) | 1.44 WHIP

Drafted out of Texas Christian and going straight to high-A proved to be the best decision for his development. There are several glaring positives that come from his raw numbers. The first is that his control has improved with each promotion. The O’s should be able to stomach 3 BB/9 if his K/9 stays in the upper single-digits. Until AAA, he was able to keep the ball in the park, and, really, one homer for every nine innings isn’t the end of the world. He also pitched two complete game shutouts in AA this past year.

However, as with all positives, there are weaknesses that need to be addressed. Just because the control looks to be there in AAA, it doesn’t just appear overnight. I would expect his walk rate to stay more in the middle of the two he has this year, so about 3.2 BB/9 with his strikeout rate near 8.5 to 9 K/9. Not seen in the numbers is his own personality. Several sites and sources stated that he battles himself when he is on the mound. When he struggles, he beats himself up mentally leading to a poorer performance. This is derived from his hyper-competitive drive and compulsion to win (which is a great attribute).

Due to his poor secondary pitches (past his fastball – slider combo) some believe he would be better suited for the bullpen (a great set-up man or a power closer); others believe he will be better than Matusz or Tillman. I am not sure where I stand. He should get a September call-up and I would be shocked if he wasn’t on the 2010 opening roster. The youth movement in Baltimore is now in full swing

I think you should be sending that rep to Family Guy instead. Still, it was a well-timed reference.

Truth and one of my favorite one-liners :D

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bj5mTCliE4g&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bj5mTCliE4g&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Two bad TBS ruined the punchline with their insipid & repetitive commmericals

08 (A+) 9.56 K/9 | 4.06 BB/9 | 113 IP | .56 HR/9 | 2.87 ERA (3.39 FIP) | 1.16 WHIP

09 (AA) 10.68 K/9 | 3.51 BB/9 | 59 IP | .61 HR/9 | 2.59 ERA (3.08 FIP) | 1.15 WHIP

09 (AAA) 8.19 K/9 | 2.85 BB/9 | 62 2/3 IP | 1.01 HR/9 | 4.74 ERA (3.98 FIP) | 1.44 WHIP

Drafted out of Texas Christian and going straight to high-A proved to be the best decision for his development. There are several glaring positives that come from his raw numbers. The first is that his control has improved with each promotion. The O’s should be able to stomach 3 BB/9 if his K/9 stays in the upper single-digits. Until AAA, he was able to keep the ball in the park, and, really, one homer for every nine innings isn’t the end of the world. He also pitched two complete game shutouts in AA this past year.

However, as with all positives, there are weaknesses that need to be addressed. Just because the control looks to be there in AAA, it doesn’t just appear overnight. I would expect his walk rate to stay more in the middle of the two he has this year, so about 3.2 BB/9 with his strikeout rate near 8.5 to 9 K/9. Not seen in the numbers is his own personality. Several sites and sources stated that he battles himself when he is on the mound. When he struggles, he beats himself up mentally leading to a poorer performance. This is derived from his hyper-competitive drive and compulsion to win (which is a great attribute).

Due to his poor secondary pitches (past his fastball – slider combo) some believe he would be better suited for the bullpen (a great set-up man or a power closer); others believe he will be better than Matusz or Tillman. I am not sure where I stand. He should get a September call-up and I would be shocked if he wasn’t on the 2010 opening roster. The youth movement in Baltimore is now in full swing

Reads more like a research piece than a scouting snippet (I don't get the sense this guy watches Arrieta throw) but it's an interesting take. Do you have a link so I could see more of his work?

Well might as well do the big three. Matusz scouting report:

Scouting report: His slightly above-average fastball touches 94 mph while his curve and slider are both outstanding. He also throws an above-average changeup. He knows how to pitch and has the ability to throw all four pitches for strikes.

Upside potential: Top-of-the-rotation left-handed starter in the near future. There have been many Cole Hamels comparisons.

I don't think he is. There are those within the organization that think he might be a 4th starter type when it all said and done.

This is true...if Tillman doesn't learn a hard sinker/two-seamer.

Right now his fastball looks just straight enough and just slow enough that guys can straight him out...keeping him a 4-ish ERA type without that extra groundball pitch.

When you hear things like this, it just drives home the point how we really need that second TOR guy, to go along with Matusz.

Not saying Tillman nor Arrieta can't/won't develop into that guy though.

When you hear things like this, it just drives home the point how we really need that second TOR guy, to go along with Matusz.

Not saying Tillman nor Arrieta can't/won't develop into that guy though.

It also drives home the point that you can never have enough pitching.

I believe that Trea has uncovered a hidden system of communication in Oriole promotions

tinfoil_hat_antenna.jpg

Just when you think El Trea can't top himself...

I think you meant "bottom himself"...

Oh come on, you guys are piling on. It's not that outlandish of a point.

Eleventy seven people will point out that he's saying ridiculous things, and all of that goes in one ear and out the other. He just ignores it. But then one single poster will say something like this, or say "in defense of JTrea", and that one particular comment will go in one ear and rattle around inside his head. He'll take it as confirmation that he needs to keep it up...

This is what happens when too much time passes with no real news to discuss.

No it's not. There's lots of times when there's nothing to discuss, and people don't say stupid things like this. They might discuss ridiculous GM moves, or they might get snippy about less than it usually takes, but they don't do stuff like this. This requires a special form of brain damage.

Disclaimer: I am not dissing folks with brain damage. One of my favorite people in our neighborhood is a woman who has serious limitations. But she knows her limits, and everything else about her is wonderful. Everybody has limits, the thing is to know what your limits are. I'm 6'8", so I don't try to be a jockey. Same thing. JTrea doesn't know his limits. JTrea discussing FO behavior is like if my mentally-challenged neighbor kept trying to make moon rockets out of cookie dough while endlessly repeating that NASA is trying to scam everybody.

I generally try to avoid piling on to JTrea b/c he takes plenty of crap on here as it is but ...

He *earns* plenty of crap. Don't paint him like some poor guy who people pick on for no good reason. That's the kind of thing that convinces him that he's somehow being noble and fighting the good fight. Really. Nothing else gets through, but comments like this do. He ignores everything else but latches on to comments like this. He really thinks he's like Rocky and fighting the good fight. "Against what?" is the question. As best I can tell, what he's fighting against is sanity. Being sensible is the enemy.

tinfoil_hat_antenna.jpg

I think you meant "bottom himself"...

Eleventy seven people will point out that he's saying ridiculous things, and all of that goes in one ear and out the other. He just ignores it. But then one single poster will say something like this, or say "in defense of JTrea", and that one particular comment will go in one ear and rattle around inside his head. He'll take it as confirmation that he needs to keep it up...

No it's not. There's lots of times when there's nothing to discuss, and people don't say stupid things like this. They might discuss ridiculous GM moves, or they might get snippy about less than it usually takes, but they don't do stuff like this. This requires a special form of brain damage.

Disclaimer: I am not dissing folks with brain damage. One of my favorite people in our neighborhood is a woman who has serious limitations. But she knows her limits, and everything else about her is wonderful. Everybody has limits, the thing is to know what your limits are. I'm 6'8", so I don't try to be a jockey. Same thing. JTrea doesn't know his limits. JTrea discussing FO behavior is like if my mentally-challenged neighbor kept trying to make moon rockets out of cookie dough while endlessly repeating that NASA is trying to scam everybody.

He *earns* plenty of crap. Don't paint him like some poor guy who people pick on for no good reason. That's the kind of thing that convinces him that he's somehow being noble and fighting the good fight. Really. Nothing else gets through, but comments like this do. He ignores everything else but latches on to comments like this. He really thinks he's like Rocky and fighting the good fight. "Against what?" is the question. As best I can tell, what he's fighting against is sanity. Being sensible is the enemy.

Are you really 6'8"?

Does anybody really think the marketing people spend days and days on conference calls with Andy MacPhail coming up with who should be on the flier for the upcoming schedule?

I'm guessing that nobody who makes anything even remotely resembling a baseball decision had anything to do with this image. And suggesting that in any way might mean that someone is regarded particularly highly or unhighly by the organization because they are or are not on this image, or where they are on this image, is one of the dumbest suggestions I've ever heard.

Archived