McPhail: Bullpen to require attention this offseason

bigbird

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Put the young guys in the pen.

Birkins and Bell shouldn't be considered, especially Bell.

Exactly the right answer. If we go out and throw more perfectly good money down the drain on the bulllpen we are complete morons. Personally I'd be looking at getting rid of Bradford. He's too much of a specialty pitcher.

Keep Walker for some stability and just go with the young guys; Hoey, Cherry, Doyne, Birkins, Cabrera etc. Let them do or die. I they die bring up more young guys from AAA throughout the season and see what they can do. Don't clog the bullpen with vets and limit your roster flexibility.

Utilize guys like Liz, Penn, Burres (whoever drops out of the starting rotation) as Long releivers and make them do real long relief work.

We spent like a gajillion dollars last offseason to improve the bullpen. Then we put a bunch of guys in position to fail and didn't give others the opportunity to succeed.

None of that matters though. Without consistent starting pitchers that put your bullpen in position for success and an offense that isn't consistently inconsistent and/or offensive it doesn't matter how great your bullpen is. The best they can do is stop the 23-28th runs from being scored. They can't do anything to stop the initial onslaught or outscore the opponent.

Build a team that looks like it will be successful based on what you can likely expect from each member, not a team that might squeak out 82 wins if everyone has a career year.

The opposite of that is, if our rotation (still promising next year...) pitches well, and the pen blows lead after lead, where is the progress?

Baez and Ray are gone. GONE. We need a lot, but part of that is an arm or two in the pen. There's no getting around it. You can't ignore two key parts going down.

Put the young guys in the pen.

Birkins and Bell shouldn't be considered, especially Bell.

What young guys??? The same ones who are making 3-run deficits into 10-run deficits?

We got 3 vets last year, two are solid, one was injured... all year. We need arms beyond the guys Mazzone laughs at. What part of "Not Ready For Prime Time" don't you understand?

What young guys??? The same ones who are making 3-run deficits into 10-run deficits?

We got 3 vets last year, two are solid, one was injured... all year. We need arms beyond the guys Mazzone laughs at. What part of "Not Ready For Prime Time" don't you understand?

Bingo.....

I agree with SG (this has become a common thing). Use the younger guys who lost out of the SP race in the bullpen along with Hoey Walker and Bradford if they are not traded. By going out and spending more money on the bullpen again you set yourself up for another expensive failure like this year.

I agree with SG (this has become a common thing). Use the younger guys who lost out of the SP race in the bullpen along with Hoey Walker and Bradford if they are not traded. By going out and spending more money on the bullpen again you set yourself up for another expensive failure like this year.

And you also set yourself up for losing draft picks...this team can't afford to lose another second and/or third round pick for signing relief pitchers.

Rely on the emergence of some of these kids. We aren't winning in 2008. 2008 should be about evaluation.

Bradford

Walker

Hoey (nothing to prove in minors)

Burress

Cherry/F. Cabrera

Leicester

Liz/Olson/Penn

check that ... go with the kids. Liz/Olson/Penn, whoever loses out on the starting rotation.

The O's need to add a veteran closer and another establish reliever to Walker and Bradford.

Then they can pick the last three in the pen from Burres, Leicester, Olson, Penn, F Cabrera, Hoey, Doyne, Cherry and Birkins.

This team does NOT need to add a veteran closer or reliever. Why do we want to spend that money and lose that draft pick on a veteran?

I agree with Fairfax...next season needs to be about evaluation and rejuvenation. This team isn't winning anything. Too many holes to fill.

This team does NOT need to add a veteran closer or reliever. Why do we want to spend that money and lose that draft pick on a veteran?

I agree with Fairfax...next season needs to be about evaluation and rejuvenation. This team isn't winning anything. Too many holes to fill.

Until the ratings come out on who requires a draft choice, we don't know who is available that does not cost one. There is also the trade route.

I am not thinking that signing big FA is the only way to fill these spots.

Last year Embree did not cost a draft choice and he has done a nice job for the A's.

Until the ratings come out on who requires a draft choice, we don't know who is available that does not cost one. There is also the trade route.

I am not thinking that signing big FA is the only way to fill these spots.

Last year Embree did not cost a draft choice and he has done a nice job for the A's.

The problem with relievers is it is a crap shoot. Embree was good this year, might be bad next year. Rather evaluate the young talent we have.

The problem with relievers is it is a crap shoot. Embree was good this year, might be bad next year. Rather evaluate the young talent we have.

Two established relievers may cost Angelos a little more but I think a mix of veterans and still having three spots in the pen for the young guys is a better approach.

It would be really hard on everyone - players, FO and fans - if the team just used kids and they preformed like they have the last month.

I'm all for having the young guys have a shot to make the pen, but none of them are really showing that they deserve it. I think Hoey should get a spot to lose. Now, his performance will determine what type of situations he's in. So, that gives a bullpen of Walker, Bradford, and Hoey for sure. Baez is in there if he's healthy. And, who else? I was hoping Liz would show he belonged in the pen, but he hasn't yet. I don't want any more Birkins or Burres. I don't want Bell. Maybe Fernando Cabrera earns a shot. But, right now, we have a bullpen consisting of 2 competent setup men and no one else. Kinda scary.

Personally I could care less what the relievers cost PA. As long as we're not blowing draft picks and trying to "corner" the reliever market I'm fine. It seemed like Flanny and Duq were trying to writer there own "Moneyball" with the way they went about last years off season.

Archived