2010 Norfolk and Bowie Rosters

jjb

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It seems to me that the AAA and AA are pretty much already set. I'm sure they'll be a couple Minor League Free Agents signed for some additional depth, but as of now, this is how I see the rosters shaping up. Does anyone envision anything much different than this? Do you think we need more depth than what we have to support the big club or are you content to go forward with this?

Norfolk

1B Snyder

2B Turner

SS Davis

3b Bell

C Mi. Hernandez

OF Montanez

OF S. Moore

OF D. Figueroa(?)

DH Rhyne Hughes

Bench: M. Abreu, P. Figueroa, Tatum, Tucker(?)

What happens to Jeff Fiorentino (sp?), who played well in the outfield and hit respectably for a back-up guy with the O's toward the end the season?

I thought so. I'm actually more worried about him getting selected than I am Steve Johnson. Do you think that could reasonably happen?

I think the odds are against him being selected, and if he is, very few Rule 5's wind up sticking for the full year. If they do, it's usually because they had an injury and were able to be stashed on the DL most of the year.

AA

SP Britton

SP Beato

SP Spoone

SP Bascom

SP Marrioti

Some people think Bascom is destined for the bullpen, but you're probably right to say they will probably continue to work him as a starter. Hopefully he can make some adjustments in his second year at AA.

It would not surprise me if they are both drafted.

I'm actually not that worried about Johnson. He has very few innings above A/A+ ball. The most likely scenario where someone takes a chance on someone like that is if they have power stuff. Johnson doesn't really fit that description - his stuff is mostly average.

FWIW, BA just released an early top 20 (subscriber content) names to follow for the Rule 5. None of our players were mentioned.

That is cool about Donachie. I havent seen George listed yet. Waters should be a minor league free agent.

Hoey isn't a minor league free agent. First, he missed all of 2008. Second, he only had 22 IP in 2 years (2004+2005) so he shouldnt be eligible to be a free agent for another season or two.

I believe Hoey is available for Rule 5 draft this year.

• 3 weeks later...
I think Berken and Hernandez will both be in the pen next year.

AAA

SP Jake Arrieta

SP Brandon Erbe

SP Steve Johnson

SP Troy Patton

SP R. Tanaka

AA

SP Britton

SP Beato

SP Spoone

SP Bascom

SP Marrioti

I agree that Hernandez and Berken might both be on the major league roster to start the year, but if not, one of them takes Johnson's place in the rotation at Norfolk.

That spot could also go to a guy like Chris Lambert, Chris George or Chris Waters. There's also the chance that we bring a few more veterans on a minor league contract, and they then go to AAA as a "veteran presence" or "insurance." This is what was supposed to happen with Brad Hennessey last year.

I agree that Hernandez and Berken might both be on the major league roster to start the year, but if not, one of them takes Johnson's place in the rotation at Norfolk.

That spot could also go to a guy like Chris Lambert, Chris George or Chris Waters. There's also the chance that we bring a few more veterans on a minor league contract, and they then go to AAA as a "veteran presence" or "insurance." This is what was supposed to happen with Brad Hennessey last year.

According to Baseballamerica.com's latest transaction list, Milwaukee signed Waters to a MiL contract, so he's definitely gone.

Archived