Fahey looked great at shortstop last night!

Cider Jim

The second coming of Mark Belanger (?): I was so impressed by Fahey's fielding range & his ability to turn the double play last night in the second game that I am almost ready for Tejada to DH full time and have Javy try his hand at first base again and fill in behind the plate with Ramon needs a breather. :002_sbiggrin:

PS--what's OPS?

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'll say it for the eleventy billionth time:

Fahey playing regularly is a terrible option. He's fine as a once or twice a week utility guy and late inning defensive replacement, but no matter how good his glove is, we just can't afford his .650 OPS getting 500 at bats.

How much longer is it gonna be before people realize that Fahey isn't a regular major league player?

Putting him at SS is a horrible idea....you take all of Tejada's value from him, and turn him into a *good* bat (notice I didn't say great).

How much longer is it gonna be before people realize that Fahey isn't a regular major league player?

Putting him at SS is a horrible idea....you take all of Tejada's value from him, and turn him into a *good* bat (notice I didn't say great).

Well in last nights game there were atleast three balls up the middle that Miggy does not get to. We harp on pitchers keeping pitch counts down, well that is an extra inning that Benson did not have to pitch last night. Also probably a high stress inning with runners on. Miggy's destiny is first or third the quicker the O's get him to accept it the better the O's will be in the long run.

Moving Miggy to first or third is a very bad idea, IMO.

I'd much rather move him to another team than another position. At first he's only slightly above average offensively, at third he's above average but not as much as at SS, where he's the best in the game. Switching his position just lowers his value in both trade and to the team. Leave him at SS or send him somewhere else, a position change shouldn't be an option.

I'll say it for the eleventy billionth time:

Fahey playing regularly is a terrible option. He's fine as a once or twice a week utility guy and late inning defensive replacement, but no matter how good his glove is, we just can't afford his .650 OPS getting 500 at bats.

Assuming April 30th was the day he came up, you would have had to have said your statement 180,327,868 times a day to get to eleventy billion. Keep going, persistence usually pays off . . .

I think you need to be more flexible than to think we need such and such an OPS at 1B and such and such an OPS at 3B. We need to put the best team on the field with the options we have available. For instance, if Miggy were moved to 1B and Fahey to SS the offense would suffer very, very, slightly but the defense would probably be improved greatly. You can argue that Tejada has less value as a 1B but who really cares? The object is to maximize the play of the team you have available to you.

Bingo...The best team possible does not have Fahey as a starter.

Boston & the White Sox both have excellent defensive SS's who don't hit any better than Fahey. Maybe they know something you don't.

Big difference:

Thome

Konerko

Dye

Manny

Ortiz

Lowell

Youklis

Varitek

Boston & the White Sox both have excellent defensive SS's who don't hit any better than Fahey. Maybe they know something you don't.

Bringing this up is total meaningless...When we have great hitting 1st, DH and OF, then we can talk about this.

OUR best team possible does not have Fahey at SS....HE IS NOT GOOD!

And he didn't even look that great at SS last night.

I'm not overvaluing him I think he is going to be a very good utility, defensive replacement guy for as long has he stays cheap. But his D is vastly superior to Miggy. I think this maximizing his "value" is just not real life in baseball. I would rather the FO try to maximize the number of wins by the team. The way the team is currently contructed playing Fahey at short a good bit will help increase the wins as long has Miggy is still hitting. JMHO

Bringing this up is total meaningless...When we have great hitting 1st, DH and OF, then we can talk about this.

OUR best team possible does not have Fahey at SS....HE IS NOT GOOD!

And he didn't even look that great at SS last night.

Just what the heck didn't he look good doing. He made two plays where he crossed over behind 2nd. I hate to say it but he does look like Balanger at SS.

Bingo...The best team possible does not have Fahey as a starter.

We should have the best possible team on the field.

That doesn't necessarily mean the best hitting team.

It is ok to carry a weak bat if the guys defensive abilities are really exceptional at a key defensive position.

The Astros have Everett.

The Pirates have Wilson.

The Cards have Eckstein.

The ChiSox have Uribe.

The Blue Jays had Adams, now Hill.

The Royals have Berroa.

The DBacks have Counsell.

The Nationals have Clayton.

So, if we were to trade Tejada- I wouldn't insist on recieving a SS back. I would look to receiving the most value. I would then have no problem giving an extended shot to Fahey.

As weak as a bat as Fahey is- right now he is tied with Markakis at .662 OPS.

Archived