Billy Rowell is stirring...

Big Mac

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow, this is interesting. He's gone back to the short, compact swing that he used in HS and which probably got him scouted and rated so highly to begin with instead of the long, looping swing that apparently some moronic coach tried to switch him to? If I am the Orioles, I find that coach, check his bank account to see if he is getting direct deposits from the Yankees or Boston and fire his sorry ass on the spot.

I now send Rowell to hypnotist and have his memory erased of the past two years. I continue to allow him to DH. Heck, who knows we could have a DH cleanup hitter two years from now hitting behind Wieters and Markakis!

At any rate, that homer off of Matusz had to helped his confidence.

Wow, this is interesting. He's gone back to the short, compact swing that he used in HS and which probably got him scouted and rated so highly to begin with instead of the long, looping swing that apparently some moronic coach tried to switch him to? If I am the Orioles, I find that coach, check his bank account to see if he is getting direct deposits from the Yankees or Boston and fire his sorry ass on the spot.

I now send Rowell to hypnotist and have his memory erased of the past two years. I continue to allow him to DH. Heck, who knows we could have a DH cleanup hitter two years from now hitting behind Wieters and Markakis!

Oh please. If by the middle of May he's still striking out every other at bat, hasn't drawn a walk, and looking like a lost cause again you'll be right back here calling him a bum. It's still a very realistic possibility.

And that homer off Matusz, who ever said it built his confidence? It was a one time, more or less fluke moment that happens for probably ever major league team every spring training and intramural game. It meant nothing then, and it means nothing now. The only time it will have ever meant anything is if the two were on opposite teams competing against each other in a game that actually counts in the standings.

Do you really believe a professional hitting coach taught him a long, loopy swing? I don't want to rain on the Rowel parade here because it's nice to see the seven walks, but he has struck out nine times in 21 at bats and even if you account for the walks he's still striking out one every four times to the plate.

Prior to yesterday's 2-4, 2 double game, he was batting .235 with one extra base hit and 9 strikeouts in 17 at bats.

I'm glad he's off to a better start overall than he has in the pas,t and the seven walks drawn are nice sign he's being a bit more patient, but his strikeout rate is a major, major red flag for a guy going into his third season in the same league.

He's had a nice series and I hope he can build upon it, but there are some major red flags in the stats and with his background, I think it's way, way too early to start proclaiming his "new-old swing" is the key and that the Orioles hitting coaches have some how screwed him up since he's been drafted.

Do you really believe a professional hitting coach taught him a long, loopy swing? I don't want to rain on the Rowel parade here because it's nice to see the seven walks, but he has struck out nine times in 21 at bats and even if you account for the walks he's still striking out one every four times to the plate.

Prior to yesterday's 2-4, 2 double game, he was batting .235 with one extra base hit and 9 strikeouts in 17 at bats.

I'm glad he's off to a better start overall than he has in the pas,t and the seven walks drawn are nice sign he's being a bit more patient, but his strikeout rate is a major, major red flag for a guy going into his third season in the same league.

He's had a nice series and I hope he can build upon it, but there are some major red flags in the stats and with his background, I think it's way, way too early to start proclaiming his "new-old swing" is the key and that the Orioles hitting coaches have some how screwed him up since he's been drafted.

I think he's referring to rumors of a private hitting coach.

Rowell has had some 1-2 week hot streaks before, plenty of times. I recall starting a thread about how well he was doing sometime last April or May, but soon he went cold and fell apart completely. So, pardon me if I wait until June before getting excited about anything Rowell does in his third go-round in Frederick.

Most definitely. I don't think they should have let him play RF.

DHing should let him focus strictly on hitting.

He isn't playing RF. He is back to 3B and has played there some this year - in fact the last time he played there, it was reported that he made two really nice plays. I hope that he continues to improve and cut his K rate - that is still a big issue. Sure, he will strike out, but one in three or four ABs is way too high.

If Rowell can cut that rate to an acceptable number for a power hitter and continue to hit for power, that would be a tremendous. I wouldn't rush him to Bowie unless he proves that he has nothing else to learn in the Carolina League - he needs to work on a lot of things and it would be a shame if he wasn't ready.

Rowell has had some 1-2 week hot streaks before, plenty of times. I recall starting a thread about how well he was doing sometime last April or May, but soon he went cold and fell apart completely. So, pardon me if I wait until June before getting excited about anything Rowell does in his third go-round in Frederick.

Yes, I agree with this as well. But, Rowell does seem to be more into the games according to reports I have read, so I am hoping for the best, while waiting to see what he does for a prolonged period.

True, but this is the first time I have ever heard that his swing is looking good and is actually more compact. All we ever heard before is it was long and loopy and he looked horrible. He had nothing going for him at all before.

Oh please. If by the middle of May he's still striking out every other at bat, hasn't drawn a walk, and looking like a lost cause again you'll be right back here calling him a bum. It's still a very realistic possibility.

And that homer off Matusz, who ever said it built his confidence? It was a one time, more or less fluke moment that happens for probably ever major league team every spring training and intramural game. It meant nothing then, and it means nothing now. The only time it will have ever meant anything is if the two were on opposite teams competing against each other in a game that actually counts in the standings.

How do you know it was a fluke?:mad: Maybe he has shortened his swing and gone back to how he hit in HS and this made the difference?:rolleyestf: All I know, if I had ever homered off a top pitcher like Matusz that would be something to tell your grandkids, even it you never make it to the majors.

Yes, I was.

If you were, you have a funny way of putting it.

"If I am the Orioles, I find that coach, check his bank account to see if he is getting direct deposits from the Yankees or Boston and fire his sorry ass on the spot."

How do the Orioles fire a coach that is not on their staff? Also, funny how you completely ignore my post and jump to the post that tried to make it look like I didn't know what I was talking about (like he always does).

So riddle me this batman, how does the Orioles fire the coach on the spot if he doesn't work for them?

If you were, you have a funny way of putting it.

How do the Orioles fire a coach that is not on their staff? Also, funny how you completely ignore my post and jump to the post that tried to make it look like I didn't know what I was talking about (like he always does).

So riddle me this batman, how does the Orioles fire the coach on the spot if he doesn't work for them?

I did no such thing. I was just trying to clarify what I thought O5F's post was talking about - I don't know how he thinks they'll "fire" him, but I don't think he thinks that actual O's coaches are disloyal to the team (even jokingly).

Archived