Armando Galarraga perfect through 8

PrivateO

The sad thing? Jim Joyce is generally considered to be a fantastic ump. Everyone blows a call. He just blew a really important one. His career will get marred by this, but I think it's obvious from the way Leyland reacted when he came out to argue and how he didn't run Miguel Cabrera for basically jawing at him for the entire last at-bat, he knew he blew that call.

Yeah I agree with this, but he had the chance to overrule himself. Maybe from now on they'll allow reviews of out/safe calls at first in situations where a perfect game is on the line.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The big question: Is Galarraga the first guy to retire 28 straight batters in the same day?

No. Harvey Haddix lost a perfect game in the 12th in 1959 for the Pirates. Ended up taking the loss, too.

Yeah I agree with this, but he had the chance to overrule himself. Maybe from now on they'll allow reviews of out/safe calls at first in situations where a perfect game is on the line.

I don't think he knew it until well after the point that he could have realistically overturned it. I don't think he knew it until he saw the replay on the video boards. And unfortunately, you can't overturn a call based on that.

He should've called him out even on a close play. Clearly, he has to own that. I'm just saying that I think he knows he messed up, and that he's usually a much better ump than that.

Also, some blame has to go to Miguel Cabrera on that. He cut off the second baseman's route to that ball, and he turned a routine play into a very close play. I know he was probably overanxious due to the circumstances, but that was a poor decision on his part as well.

Wikipedia's already updated the entry for near-perfect games lost on the 27th batter:

On June 2, 2010, Armando Galarraga of the Tigers gave up an infield single to Jason Donald of the Cleveland Indians. However, replays showed that Donald was out by at least one foot. The call was blown by Jim Joyce. Joyce has been fired immediately by Bud Selig, and has been recommended to go get vision tests as well as a complete psychological exam.

Fox Sports Detroit just showed the scene in the Tigers dugout with all the players just standing around shaking their heads watching the tv replay. It's like someone died on the broadcast.

That's a big deal, though. Post-game, players are usually doing interviews, making phone calls, texting, etc. They were completely caught up in this.

I'm not the biggest advocate of team chemistry's impact, but this is the kind of thing that really could gel that team together.

Jim Joyce gets paid a lot of cash to stand there and stare at the bag...and that call wasn't even close. IMO, he just wasn't paying as close of attention as he should, probably because he assumed the runner would be safe. He almost looked confused while making the call. It's a shame that one man's incompetence can ruin history...

In Joyce's defense. He blew the call, it looked like he knew it.

But the key to me is that he didn't start barking at players, he didn't bolt for the tunnel, he didn't avoid the Tigers at all. He let them yell at him when they came out on the field after the win.

He showed class there IMO.

In Joyce's defense. He blew the call, it looked like he knew it.

But the key to me is that he didn't start barking at players, he didn't bolt for the tunnel, he didn't avoid the Tigers at all. He let them yell at him when they came out on the field after the win.

He showed class there IMO.

Completely agree.

Archived