6/6: Red Sox at O's

ScottieBaseball

Much better inning there by Matusz. Much, much better command. I'm still annoyed that he nibbled from 0-2 to 3-2 on Pedroia, but he threw all good pitches but the out pitch to McDonald.

Question for you since I respect your opinion on pitchers - why do the O's pitchers seem to be nibblers? I followed Lester on Gametracker last night and just kept pounding the strike zone. Why not teach Matusz and Tillman to just throw strikes? I mean, sure, some will get hit, but that is why you have defenders. Is it a skill issue or more of a coaching issue? Never really pitched so this is not my element.

• Replies 370
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Cool - thanks! I was an OF, so I liked pitchers throwing strikes - kept me in the flow of the game if things moved along.

It's all mentality. I pitched in high school and RARELY nibbled. Fastball, curve. If you hit it, I have 7 guys behind me to get it.

I think they are just trying to get too cute and are not truly confident in their stuff (at least not against major leaguers)

It's all mentality. I pitched in high school and RARELY nibbled. Fastball, curve. If you hit it, I have 7 guys behind me to get it.

I think they are just trying to get too cute and are not truly confident in their stuff (at least not against major leaguers)

That was my thought as I have watched the games on TV. I am all for wasting a pitch to back a guy off the plate, but constantly trying to nip the corners runs up a pitch count and gives hitters a better chance to see a mistake.

There is a difference between throwing strikes and throwing good strikes. If you just pound the middle of the zone, you're never gonna make it to the majors, yet alone have success there. The trick is being able to command your pitches well enough that you can consistently hit the edges of the strike zone. Not right on the black necessarily, but certainly far away from the happy zones. Throwing good strikes is more difficult, because if you miss its then a ball, you have less margin for area aiming for a small portion of the strike zone than just "the strike zone" in general.

Every pitcher on the roster could go up there and just pound the middle of the strike zone. Of course, then we'd have a team ERA in the double digits to go with not being able to score runs.

I think that Matusz and BB mean to go right at the hitters aggressively. I just think their command is preventing that right now. Lester was being aggressive, but he was also routinely throwing the ball on the corner near the knees. It is easy to look like you're pounding the zone when you can dial in the fastball at the knees on either corner to start an at bat. Lester is that good. Matusz is supposed to be that good. He just isn't right now, at least not consistently.

I can't say on Tillman or Arrieta yet. It is too early to tell.

BTW, have you noticed how much better Boston is at hitting foul balls than our hitters are? That is HUGE advantage. We have two hitters who do that well - Nick and Brian. Wiggy is ok at it. Nobody else is even decent at it on the Orioles IMO... Watch how few foul balls Wieters, Jones, and Tejada hit.

Seems all the games I have watched this year, the opposition does a better job of that. At least with Wieters, I think the problem is his long swing. But haven't seen enough games to really analyze it. Thanks for the input.

Do you think the team can find a life-size cut-out of Angelos with a stick on suit covering up a bikini and pasties?

I doubt they would win if they put a cutout of Amber up there and removed parts of clothing as they won games. They would probably choke when it got to the good parts!:laughlol:

There is a difference between throwing strikes and throwing good strikes. If you just pound the middle of the zone, you're never gonna make it to the majors, yet alone have success there. The trick is being able to command your pitches well enough that you can consistently hit the edges of the strike zone. Not right on the black necessarily, but certainly far away from the happy zones. Throwing good strikes is more difficult, because if you miss its then a ball, you have less margin for area aiming for a small portion of the strike zone than just "the strike zone" in general.

Every pitcher on the roster could go up there and just pound the middle of the strike zone. Of course, then we'd have a team ERA in the double digits to go with not being able to score runs.

Agreed, fastballs down the pipe are going to get turned on unless you are bringing it 100 mph. But working the zone high and low, as well as inside and out, works, correct? Just don't see the command of the zone with the Orioles pitchers like I do some other teams. Maybe because the opposition is throwing to Orioles hitters. lol

BTW, have you noticed how much better Boston is at hitting foul balls than our hitters are? That is HUGE advantage. We have two hitters who do that well - Nick and Brian. Wiggy is ok at it. Nobody else is even decent at it on the Orioles IMO... Watch how few foul balls Wieters, Jones, and Tejada hit.

I remember one AB back in the '90s for Brady Anderson where he fouled off 10+ pitches in one at bat. It was something like 15 but I forget the exact count but defintely over 10 pitches. That was fun to watch! I don't remember what the result of that AB was :rofl:

There definitely is a ton of evidence that Matusz is going to be a really good pitcher. He just freaking pitched to Ortiz, Youk, Victor, and Beltre this inning. His change up can be just filthy and his curveball can be very, very good.

So confidence in his pitches is key? Just hope this dismal season doesn't affect he and Tillman. That is part of the reason I hope they don't rush Arrieta. I am all for these guys building on successes rather than having to overcome adversities.

Archived