6/6: Red Sox at O's

ScottieBaseball

No it's not. He's mixing all four pitches pretty well. He's definitely using the fastball to set up some off-speed stuff, but I disagree.

He threw 23 fastballs out of his total of 31 pitches in this inning. That seems about normal for the average pitcher, but most people don't have the command of their offspeed pitches like the way Matusz does. Just seems to me like he should be mixing it up a little bit more.

He threw only fastballs to Cameron and also Beltre I believe.

• Replies 370
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Cant' see if Sherry's crew is sitting behind the tarps. Just looked at the radar and the rain should be in the area shortly.

That's why I'm watching the game instead of gardening, like I told myself I was going to do today.

A few more Boston runs and I'll be out there regardless of the weather. :(

Ground crew looks ready. They just showed them lining up behind the tarp....

His command is spotty at best. Matusz is a guy who is supposed to pitch on the corners and below the waist. He is doing neither with any regularity. He is still throwing some outstanding pitches but he is throwing a ton of waste pitches because they aren't close.

I've seen him throw a few great change ups and a few that were awful location-wise. I've seen him thrown a few great sliders and a few that were awful location-wise. I'm not sure where he has put his curve. He threw a couple good ones to Pedroia and none to anyone else that I've seen.

His fastball command is just not where it needs to be. He also appears to be melting on the mound. This guy is built to be pitch efficient and he just isn't being pitch efficient right now.

Great evaluation Bruce. Tough to argue with that or elaborate further. Good stuff!

I'm not saying the ump is wrong...getting those calls is something Matusz will have to earn.

Agree completely - young pitchers normally don't get those calls. Will be interesting to see if Strasburg does however. MLB can say what they want about umpires, but they are only human.

Archived