Daniel Klein- 3rd Round- RHP UCLA

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Only 3 pitches are likely to be usable. Couple that with injury history... that is why I was tossing out Chris Ray.

Well even if he only uses 3 pitches, that's 2 more than Ray had and Ray didn't have good command.

So, I don't see how the comp works outside of them being relievers who throw right handed.

This sounds like a pick Minnesota would make....and that's not a bad thing for us.

Well even if he only uses 3 pitches, that's 2 more than Ray had and Ray didn't have good command.

So, I don't see how the comp works outside of them being relievers who throw right handed.

This sounds like a pick Minnesota would make....and that's not a bad thing for us.

I agree. The change and fastball movement both sound very nice. Coupled with a hard slider, command and a good build, and I like the pick.

How feasible is that giving asking price?

Jordan said he expects to spend more than last year. Even if you pay him $2-2.5 mil on top of the $6 you spend on Machado, without a supplemental or a 2nd you are still doing pretty well.

But what did the write-up of Ray say when he was drafted. I guarantee you it didn't say he was a 1 pitch pitcher. Everyone looks stellar when they are drafted. Throw hard, hard worker etc and a few years later we don't see it.

But what did the write-up of Ray say when he was drafted. I guarantee you it didn't say he was a 1 pitch pitcher. Everyone looks stellar when they are drafted. Throw hard, hard worker etc and a few years later we don't see it.

In theory you could be right, but Jordan did draft this kid 2 years ago too. He obviously followed him and thinks he might be a good talent. I'm guessing signability could also be a factor based on a comment on another site.

This guy's scouting reports remind me of Brian Matusz's: four average to above-average pitches, no overpowering fastball, good or better control. Now, he's right-handed, has somewhat weaker stuff in general, and a bunch of injury questions (and is therefore, for now, a reliever), but with right-handed Matusz upside he seems like a solid 3rd-rounder.

Archived