Daniel Klein- 3rd Round- RHP UCLA

But what did the write-up of Ray say when he was drafted. I guarantee you it didn't say he was a 1 pitch pitcher. Everyone looks stellar when they are drafted. Throw hard, hard worker etc and a few years later we don't see it.

You make it sound like Ray was a flop. Only 12 of the 2003 first round picks have produced more WAR than Ray (a 3rd rounder) has. In the 3rd round that year, only Shaun Marcum has produced more WAR than Ray.

I think sometimes people's expectations of what teams are likely to get from a draft are too high.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I just REALLY hope they are drafting him as a closer...but then you have to wonder why we spent a 3rd rd pick on a closer with Cole and Hahn both out there...

People say that player development isn't linear, but neither is draft strategy.

There are many ways to spend 10 million dollars. The O's have Machado, and now likely two slot guys they like in the 3 or 4 round area. I'm sure they have several guys who they project to fall for over slot targets.

The alternative might be to target all of your above slot guys early in the draft. This would likely cost you more, while also diminishing the talent available for your slot picks.

You make it sound like Ray was a flop. Only 12 of the 2003 first round picks have produced more WAR than Ray (a 3rd rounder) has. In the 3rd round that year, only Shaun Marcum has produced more WAR than Ray.

I think sometimes people's expectations of what teams are likely to get from a draft are too high.

Plus, had Ray not gotten hurt, maybe he ends up being very good for a longer period of time.

People say that player development isn't linear, but neither is draft strategy.

There are many ways to spend 10 million dollars. The O's have Machado, and now likely two slot guys they like in the 3 or 4 round area. I'm sure they have several guys who they project to fall for over slot targets.

The alternative might be to target all of your above slot guys early in the draft. This would likely cost you more, while also diminishing the talent available for your slot picks.

There are different kinds of overslots though, there are the top of the draft ones that are BIG time prospects and then there are the bottom of the draft ones that you are speculating on early, not as much money, but not as likely a reward either. I don't see why both can't be done when you only have 2 picks in the top 4 sections of the draft. We spent $8.5 m last year, with about 3.5 of that in the first, and $5 for the rest. I don't understand why they couldn't nab a couple top prospects to make up for the lack of picks up top, spend $6 in the first, $3 in the 3rd and then $3 for the rest doesn't seem outrageous to me. You are right though, there are other ways. Just seems these other ways haven't been doing much for us lately so maybe it's time for a different approach.

There are different kinds of overslots though, there are the top of the draft ones that are BIG time prospects and then there are the bottom of the draft ones that you are speculating on early, not as much money, but not as likely a reward either. I don't see why both can't be done when you only have 2 picks in the top 4 sections of the draft. We spent $8.5 m last year, with about 3.5 of that in the first, and $5 for the rest. I don't understand why they couldn't nab a couple top prospects to make up for the lack of picks up top, spend $6 in the first, $3 in the 3rd and then $3 for the rest doesn't seem outrageous to me. You are right though, there are other ways. Just seems these other ways haven't been doing much for us lately so maybe it's time for a different approach.

You mean Townsend isn't doing much for you? ;)

You mean Townsend isn't doing much for you? ;)

It was an ok pick that just didn't pan out, I'm ok with it, not real thrilled, but to see some guys that were top half of the first round slip and not to bat an eyelash at them, or not have the resources to even try is frustrating. I mean we have a lot of catching up to do around baseball, and the ONE tool we are willing to use we are holding back a ton of money. What's stopping them from just dumping $20 mil into the draft for a couple years and just coming out guns blazing?

Sorry, just a little irritated seeing a phenomenal draft by the Red Sox just really hammer this point home.

It was an ok pick that just didn't pan out, I'm ok with it, not real thrilled, but to see some guys that were top half of the first round slip and not to bat an eyelash at them, or not have the resources to even try is frustrating. I mean we have a lot of catching up to do around baseball, and the ONE tool we are willing to use we are holding back a ton of money. What's stopping them from just dumping $20 mil into the draft for a couple years and just coming out guns blazing?

Sorry, just a little irritated seeing a phenomenal draft by the Red Sox just really hammer this point home.

Don't get me wrong. I totally agree. I like the Narron pick for sure though.

The O's will need a major kick in the butt to step things up, IMO. We should coordinate an OH smackdown to put JTrea-esque pressure on AM.

I'm half kidding.

Isn't it premature to write off Townsend? The guy's been hurt. He could still pan out.

You're right it's still a bit early, but that injury robbed him of valuable time, and he's 22 in low A, for him to get back on track he's really got to KILL it now and get up to high A before the end of the season for me.

Isn't it premature to write off Townsend? The guy's been hurt. He could still pan out.

Sure it is.

I actually typed that because AllStar said that our other way of drafting hasn't really panned out.

I just want some of our newly drafted hitters to join teams this year and next and hit the heck out of the ball. I don't care where they were drafted or under what strategy.

I don't want to over react to passing on guys like Cole though. If there's anything that Jordan has done well it's obtaining quality arms throughout the draft. Cole would have been a tough sign who likely took until August to get anywhere near done. Given our likely only decent budget above the cost of Machado, I wonder what affect he'd have had on the rest of our draft class signees.

I know what everyone wants the O's to do...go Trea hog wild in the draft, but that's just not what we actually do, unfortunately.

When I read about this guy, my first thought was a question. I wondered that with all the injuries this team already has, why can't we draft players who don't already have a history of injuries....and especially a pitcher who has already had shoulder surgery?!! :confused:

When I read about this guy, my first thought was a question. I wondered that with all the injuries this team already has, why can't we draft players who don't already have a history of injuries....and especially a pitcher who has already had shoulder surgery?!! :confused:

These injury guys provide for a lot of upside/value for the very reason you want to avoid them.

Jordan has followed Klein for a long time.

"This year he was dominant for them at the end of the game. We don't see him as a guy that's going to be a closer, we like him as starter. He's 6'4", he's got size and just a durable-type body."

The Orioles had Klein rated as a second-round pick.

"We didn't expect him to be there. It's one of those things, it happens every year and hopefully we are closer to right than maybe the industry, we'll see," Jordan said.

The O's feel they can sign Klein pretty quickly and get him to a team this summer but later this week his UCLA team will play in the college baseball Super Regionals and they can't get too much going with the player until his season ends.

http://masnsports.com/steve_melewski/2010/06/jordan-sizes-up-day-two-of-the-draft.html

Had Klein at 76th overall. Soph. leverage (not to mention to opp. to come back and pitch with the best staff in college baseball next year). Body to start, but not sure it's in the cards with the medical history and the velo could be merely average stretched out over 6 innings and a full season (just speculation). Something some of you will like is that he pitches well down in the zone and has some bore on his fastball.

Could be a good 8th inning arm quickly. If BAL wants to develop him as a starter I imagine it's a 3-4 yr plan, starting with HiA.

Archived