Daniel Klein- 3rd Round- RHP UCLA

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am not to wild about this pick. I was hoping that we would go with a college bat. With Austin Wates, Austin Wilson, Hunter Morris, and Josh Rutledge still available I was hoping for one of them.

Full Name: Daniel Christopher Klein

Born: Jul 27,1988 in Long Beach, California

Height: 6-3 Weight: 195 Bats: Right Throws: Right

High School: Servite (Anaheim, California) "2004"

College: UCLA

Drafted: Selected by Baltimore Orioles in 24th Round (729th overall) of 2007 amateur entry draft (June-Reg)

Jordan must like this kid.

Seems like he's a better pick if he's projected as a starter than if he's projected as a reliever. A 91 MPH fastball topping out at 93 is not exactly the heat you'd want from a closer unless there's unusual movement on the pitch.

He's ranked around 113 on BA's list, so this may be a slight overdraft but nothing severe.

I suppose I would have preferred the best hitter available, but this organization needs talent everywhere, including the bullpen.

#72 on KLAW top 100

Klein is a former star high school quarterback -- it's been a running joke at UCLA that the best quarterback on campus is on the baseball team -- who is back from a injured shoulder capsule that wiped out his 2009 spring and is moving up boards as a closer who might be able to start in pro ball.

Klein's a strike-thrower who, on his best days, will show a plus change and a plus curve with an above-average fastball, certainly enough weapons for him move to a rotation, and he's an excellent athlete with the size and frame to start.

Of course, he's got two years of shoulder injuries behind him, as he had a minor ?clean-out? operation his freshman year, and zero history of working as a starter in college, so building him up to a 180-inning-a-year-workload is extremely ambitious.

I think his best shot is as a fast-moving closer who has the pitches to get left- and right-handed hitters out; he could help a major league team within a year.

Yeah Jordan must have loved the kid to pass up on all that positional talent.

I hate taking a RP this high though.

There may be some logic to looking to the college ranks for relievers, then stocking up with high schoolers for starting pitching. A good college reliever with two well-developed pitches can get to the majors pretty fast, like Storen or Rcepzinsky.

MLB.com says he has 4 pitches..chance to start...Had shoulder surgery in 2009.

Likely ends up in pen...He could move very quickly though you would have to think.

You nailed it.

He could start. He's got two above average pitches, two average pitches and above average control/command.

It will be interesting to see how BAL handles him. He could pitch out of the pen in 2012. Starting will take a bit longer. He'll have to build his arm strength up and refine his secondaries a bit. That slider is a money pitch, though.

It's a pretty solid pick, not a big overslot. I would have gone either Hunter Morris or Josh Rutledge there. They obviously didn't think they could afford both Machado and Cole, and it looks like no one wants to touch Hahn.

Redshirted.

Made seven appearances, including two starts... logged a 2-2 record and 7.64 ERA in 17.2 innings...in his first four relief appearances (9.2 innings), posted a 1.82 ERA with 12 strikeouts and just one walk...registered a career-high six strikeouts in relief against UC Santa Barbara (Feb. 27), scattering four hits in 4.1 scoreless innings...in an unusual statistical occurrence, earned his first collegiate win and first collegiate loss in the same day, UCLA's season-opening doubleheader versus Oklahoma (Feb. 23); struck out one hitter in relief in the season opener to record the Bruins' first victory of the season...missed over two months of the season with shoulder soreness.

High School

Three-year varsity baseball letterwinner under head coach Todd Cook...logged a 2.59 ERA and 5-5 record his senior season, collecting 84 strikeouts while issuing just 10 walks in 56.2 innings; did not allow one home run against 266 batters faced; hurled four complete games in 11 starts as a senior; struck out 16 batters against CIF semifinalist Mater Dei...selected in the 24th round of the 2007 MLB Draft by the Baltimore Orioles...tallied a 1.40 ERA and 7-1 mark as a junior, recording 49 strikeouts to lead Servite to a share of the Serra League Championship; that season, posted a 5-0 record and 0.81 ERA in Serra League contests before being named Serra League MVP...earned second-team All-CIF Southern Section Division I honors and second-team All-Orange County accolades...compiled a .330 batting average as a junior and hit at a .313 clip his sophomore season...also excelled as the starting quarterback on the football team his sophomore, junior and senior seasons; three-year varsity letterwinner under head coach Troy Thomas...threw for 1496 yards and 12 touchdowns as a senior (111-for-171 passing); threw for 2005 yards and 16 touchdowns as a junior (146-for-235 passing)...earned offensive most valuable player honors in the Serra League as a junior and sophomore...threw for 1860 yards as a sophomore earning All-Serra League accolades; broke the single game completion percentage record (14-for-15) and the single season completion record...turned down several offers to play football at Pac-10 schools...a fine scholar-athlete, he received a prestigious Orange County scholar-athlete award after compiling a 3.4 GPA as an honor student at Servite.

Personal

Full name: Daniel Christopher Klein...born July 27, 1988 in Long Beach, Calif...Dan is the oldest of Chris and Teri Klein's three children...has one younger brother, Thomas, and one younger sister, Katie...political science major.

Career Highs

Innings Pitched - 5.1 at Cal State Fullerton (3/4/08)

Strikeouts - 6 vs. UC Santa Barbara (2/27/08)

I'll be the first to post a conspiracy theory...

The O's just drafted a guy who can help in the pen soon because they're going to trade some of their near-term or already arrived pitchers for hitting this season.

/conspiracy theory

Archived