Daniel Klein- 3rd Round- RHP UCLA

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Brett Cecil was a college closer (Maryland) that was turned into a starter. I don't see why we shouldn't at least try to develop Klein as a starter since he has 4 pitches.

By all means, and that's great if he becomes a good one!

Had Klein at 76th overall. Soph. leverage (not to mention to opp. to come back and pitch with the best staff in college baseball next year). Body to start, but not sure it's in the cards with the medical history and the velo could be merely average stretched out over 6 innings and a full season (just speculation). Something some of you will like is that he pitches well down in the zone and has some bore on his fastball.

Could be a good 8th inning arm quickly. If BAL wants to develop him as a starter I imagine it's a 3-4 yr plan, starting with HiA.

Medical history is a concern, but I feel good about the velo. I think this is a guy who needs the opportunity to try his hand at starting.

I'm willing to invest 3-4 years to develop him as a starter (although I don't think it necessarily has to take that long). Like I said before, he could be in the BAL bullpen in 2012, but I think it's short-sighted and it would indicate a need-based pick to me.

I think he's got the arsenal to stick.

Medical history is a concern, but I feel good about the velo. I think this is a guy who needs the opportunity to try his hand at starting.

I'm willing to invest 3-4 years to develop him as a starter (although I don't think it necessarily has to take that long). Like I said before, he could be in the BAL bullpen in 2012, but I think it's short-sighted and it would indicate a need-based pick to me.

I think he's got the arsenal to stick.

I think I still have his outing against SC on the DVR. Maybe I'll toss it on while updating team pages tonight...:)

• 3 weeks later...

Bump. Saw Klein pitch today in the 9th against TCU looked really good. Great movement on his pitches tonight I thought. Wish it was more of a pressure situation though.

Feeling better about this pick still think it was wrong to pass on Wates, but looks like Klein will be solid IF he stays healthy. If anyone wants to see him pitch UCLA is in the CWS finals. Hope we get him signed soon we need bullpen help.

Bump. Saw Klein pitch today in the 9th against TCU looked really good. Great movement on his pitches tonight I thought. Wish it was more of a pressure situation though.

Feeling better about this pick still think it was wrong to pass on Wates, but looks like Klein will be solid IF he stays healthy. If anyone wants to see him pitch UCLA is in the CWS finals. Hope we get him signed soon we need bullpen help.

As much as I think he would be a great reliever, Jordan wants to try him at Starting. Unfortunately Klein has had some past injuries and usually when you combine that with an increase of innings its going to lead to some dead arms and fatigue. If Klein is a starter then its going to be a awhile before he goes to the majors as we are going to have to limit his innings so he doesn't get fatigued. If he were to go to the bullpen then we could advance him fast and immediately make an impact for the O's. I think we should make him a bullpen arm, however Jordan has drafted him twice and sees him as a starter, he does have secondary stuff so that would not be the problem.

How did his command look? I am a bit happier with this pick after hearing more about him as of late. Regardless, we know with him we have a solid back ender in the pen and the possibility of a solid SP....

How did his command look? I am a bit happier with this pick after hearing more about him as of late. Regardless, we know with him we have a solid back ender in the pen and the possibility of a solid SP....

Command looked really good. Pitches went were he wanted them to go and he had good movement. This is the first I have gotten to see UCLA play though.

Archived