"Adam Jones came to me" Jim Palmer interview w/Rob Long

ScottieBaseball

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm sorry, but people with ego problems don't actively go asking for help.

This clearly isn't the case. I say this as someone who has spent considerable time around monumental egos. (Including, but not limited to, my own.)

But it obviously isn't getting in the way of Jones asking for help/advice.

No. But there's often a disconnect. One can ask for help because one has been taught they should learn from their elders, but that doesn't make them apply what they hear - and often ego works against that in subtle ways.

As a writer, I solicit/ed feedback all the time. And thro/ew most of it away.

I'm not sure you can call it a 1 year slump. I think we're at that point with Jones where what you see is what you get. IMO, the first month and a half last year was a complete mirage.

Curious to know what they talked about. Here's hoping Palmer gave him some good insight.

I think that we often get fooled into thinking that most players come to the majors at 22 or 24 or whatever, and have a nice smooth curve up to their age 27/28 peak, then gracefully decline until retirement.

But most players have a very jagged curve. Even many HOFers had year-to-year ups and downs bad enough for their bb-ref pages to give you seasickness. Brooks was in the majors at 18, didn't have his first league-average offensive season until 23, dropped back at 24, was great at 25, back down at 26, MVP at 27... Cal had consecutive OPS+s in his peak of 105, 114, 162 then 92. From '63 to '67 the smallest year-to-year change in Boog Powell's OPS was 149 points.

There's nothing in Jones' performances so far that preclude a long, successful major league career.

The work ethic is there...but that doesn't mean the ego isn't hindering him.

You don't know Adam Jones at all, or anything about him or his ego. So why do you constantly make mindless remarks like this about players? All you know is what you read and hear, just like the rest of us, and the accuracy of much of that info is questionable at best.

You don't know Adam Jones at all, or anything about him or his ego. So why do you constantly make mindless remarks like this about players? All you know is what you read and hear, just like the rest of us, and the accuracy of much of that info is questionable at best.

With over 84,000 posts, SG's work ethic is there, but it doesn't mean his ego isn't hindering him.

I think that we often get fooled into thinking that most players come to the majors at 22 or 24 or whatever, and have a nice smooth curve up to their age 27/28 peak, then gracefully decline until retirement.

But most players have a very jagged curve. Even many HOFers had year-to-year ups and downs bad enough for their bb-ref pages to give you seasickness. Brooks was in the majors at 18, didn't have his first league-average offensive season until 23, dropped back at 24, was great at 25, back down at 26, MVP at 27... Cal had consecutive OPS+s in his peak of 105, 114, 162 then 92. From '63 to '67 the smallest year-to-year change in Boog Powell's OPS was 149 points.

There's nothing in Jones' performances so far that preclude a long, successful major league career.

MacPhail made this point on the day Juan Samuel replaced Trembley. He said we'de all like development to be "linear" but that's just not the way it goes in baseball.

In researching a response to someone's post about the Yankees' home-grown "core," I was reminded that Mariano Rivera wasn't in the majors until age 25, and didn't become a great reliever until age 26; and Posada only became a premiere offensive catcher at 28. Jeter and Pettitte came along more quickly. We may just have to be patient here, as hard as that is.

I don't have to know him...I can tell what I see and what I see is a guy that has a huge ego that has overhyped himself and his abilities.

I am a big Jones fan and feel he will be fine...but it doesn't mean he doesn't need "an adjustment" right now.

I'm not sold like some on this site that Jones has an ego problem or is unwilling to listen to constructive criticism. A lot of people are passing that judgment of him because of the way they seem him on the field.

You know there is a lot of time between arriving to the park and when the game ends where Jones could be talking to people without the public eye ever seeing him. Jones has a non-chalant look to him.. so people automatically cast him off as player who is lazy, incoherent, don't play the game right and on and on.... I've watched Jones play.. nothing about his game bothers me as it does most of you. Just because he goes about his business a different way doesn't mean he's a bum.

Leave the damn guy alone and let him play baseball. He needs big league experience to learn how to hit and play the game. I trust him in the hands of John Shelby and Terry Crowley.

I don't know if he has an ego or not. But I know that MASN commercial isn't doing him any favors when it comes to most fan's perception of him. That was a dumb idea.

Not if he played to expectations this year and the Orioles were performing as expected. It would show a leader and a guy who is putting individual goals to the side for the team.

Archived