Colon potentially ready by next year?

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Makes sense -- he wants to play right away and all of his actions are refined. Probably not tons of growth left in his game, but right now he is a really mature hitter and has a remarkable feel for the game in the field. If he could log some time this summer and in the AFL, I could see a push for 2011.

Makes sense -- he wants to play right away and all of his actions are refined. Probably not tons of growth left in his game, but right now he is a really mature hitter and has a remarkable feel for the game in the field. If he could log some time this summer and in the AFL, I could see a push for 2011.

Really wish we had drafted him.

Really wish we had drafted him.
So you prefer short term known quantities to long term upside?

I'm curious why you're so down on Machado. I don't think he's as far away as a guy like Rowell when the O's took him.

I tend to agree with SG on that. If we were a different team, I'd prefer Machado. For now, I preferred Colon. Less margin for error, for a team prone to error.

I tend to agree with SG on that. If we were a different team, I'd prefer Machado. For now, I preferred Colon. Less margin for error, for a team prone to error.

Interesting...

I wonder if the Royals have an expendable player coming out of their middle infield now though.

With Aviles, Callapso, Gordon, Colon, things can get a little crowded in the long term and we might be able to nab a guy that can play SS from them.

And/or along with some of the other guys they seem to have blocked that we like. I'm not sure we're close enough to just need a SS that's ML ready at this point. But on the flip side of that it doesn't look like a game ready SS is anywhere near available from another team or FA at this point.

I'd be interested to see where others come down on this one. I was inclined to think the O's did pretty well with this pick.

Wasn't the same type of stuff said about Green and Ackley? It's certainly possible, but awfully speculative until the guys get into the system and start playing.

No. Green had defensive and offensive questions. Colon has one of the best eyes in amateur baseball, a compact swing and excellent bat-to-ball skills. He has walked more than he's struck out dating back to his freshman year (including his summer with wood on Team USA). He's a more advanced fielder than Green, though I like Green's armstrength more (Colon has better accuracy and can throw effectively from a wider variety of angles on the field).

This is what Law says about him:

Colon was one of the better players on the summer showcase circuit in 2006 but went to Fullerton due to signability and concerns about whether a player as slow-footed as he is could play shortstop in pro ball.

Since then he's established himself as a likely first-rounder in 2010 because he has shown he can play the position despite his lack of foot speed -- he's a 30 runner -- with good range and great hands to make up for the lack of quickness. At the plate, Colon is usually pretty short to the ball with fringe-average power and a sound approach, although he occasionally gets into trouble when he lengthens his swing to get coverage on the outer half, at which point he's more likely to hit the ball in the air instead of spraying the field with line drives.

His history of adequate offensive performance, strong defense, and good feel for the game make him a high-probability major league regular.

I'm just not sure that's what the Orioles need. Even in the short term you have to assume he's going to hit about as well is Caesar and I don't think you get a ton of value just for his glove.

From Kansas City.com

Colon often draws comparisons to Philadelphia infielder Placido Polanco.

“That does come up,” Picollo said, “because of the way Polanco plays the game with his instincts and his feel for the game. The swings have some similarities. The body types have some similarities.”

What seems to be the trend is that KC has a deal in place with this guy long before the draft.

What are some comps? Floor, middle, ceiling?

No great comps come to mind. Average range with good hands. Average arm. Plus on-base skills. Plus contact skills. Profiles at top-of-the-order. Low double-digit HRs. Average to tick below-average footspeed.

KC's infield is going to be very good for a long time.

This is what makes me so curious about this decision to take Colon.

Yeah they've got problems at SS right now, but they could shift Aviles back there, or Callapso in the long term. They've got some options, there were so many other higher rated players I'm a bit surprised.

I'm waiting for Joe Posananski to potentially write something about the pick. As a respected journalist close to that team I'd be really interested in seeing what he has to say about the whole thing.

So you prefer short term known quantities to long term upside?

I'm curious why you're so down on Machado. I don't think he's as far away as a guy like Rowell when the O's took him.

1) No reason to believe the Orioles will properly develop Machado.

2) Machado will cost us much more.

3) Being in the position we are in, we need our top 5 picks to hit for us...We need them to be good.

4) Colon being here next year or at worst, 2012, would be very nice...especially when you figure that we have nothing in terms of a SS, there is nothing available in terms of a SS anytime soon and Machado isn't likely to be here until 2014, if at all.

I like the concept of BPA but when you are picking this high, unless the player is so unbelievable(and I dont think machado is), I like the idea of getting a very good player who is likely to contribute. Then, go the BPA attitude in the next several rounds, signing bonus be damned.

The Orioles can not compete with Boston and NY in FA...So, when you are awful and getting these high picks, you need them to succeed to be a success long term..ala TB.

If the Orioles had taken Grant Green last year, i would have been much more excited about Machado.

If the Orioles knew how to develop a hitter, I would be more excited about Machado.

No great comps come to mind. Average range with good hands. Average arm. Plus on-base skills. Plus contact skills. Profiles at top-of-the-order. Low double-digit HRs. Average to tick below-average footspeed.

He almost sounds like a better version of BRob coming out of college...minus the stolen bases.

Archived