Why force a Game 5?!

markdublya

The Yankees will POUND Byrd tonight and Wang will not be nearly as bad as last week. Cleveland is hoping for a miracle tonight and forcing a game 5.

Poor decision...

The problem with saying these things around here (rather than, say, in a bar) is that we have written record of them ;-)

I love how Caray and Co. was going nuts about how great Byrd was tonight. He really wasn't very good. He gave up 10 baserunners in 5 plus innings. He was in trouble really the whole time he was in there, and had to wiggle out of a ton of jams.

While the Tribe won, I still think going with CC would have been the right decision. If they had won with CC, he could come back and pitch Game 2 of the ALCS on normal rest. If they lose, you have Carmona on normal rest in Game 5.

They won, but hind sight is 20/20. Wedge should have gone with CC. I haven't been real impressed with him. Bunting really, really early in games against the team with the best offense in the league, and some bullpen moves have really been questionable.

However, here's to them getting rid of the Sox very, very quickly.

I love how Caray and Co. was going nuts about how great Byrd was tonight. He really wasn't very good. He gave up 10 baserunners in 5 plus innings. He was in trouble really the whole time he was in there, and had to wiggle out of a ton of jams.

While the Tribe won, I still think going with CC would have been the right decision. If they had won with CC, he could come back and pitch Game 2 of the ALCS on normal rest. If they lose, you have Carmona on normal rest in Game 5.

They won, but hind sight is 20/20. Wedge should have gone with CC. I haven't been real impressed with him. Bunting really, really early in games against the team with the best offense in the league, and some bullpen moves have really been questionable.

As long as he wins, he's a genius. That's how it works.

And whatever that zero, Chip Caray, says has no bearing on anything. He's just a TV droid, and not a very good one.

What matters is that Byrd did what they needed him to do.

Second guessing after a loss is sometimes useful and sometimes unfortunate, but it is entirely normal.

But you're second guessing after they won! Give it up. Those two are winners tonight.

Just because it worked out doesn't mean it was the right move. If Byrd lost last night, they'd have their backs to the wall with Sabbathia (who didn't do so well against the Yanks last time) against Pettitte (who shut them down last time).

As someone else mentioned, you can't have a five game series and not set yourself up to use Sabbathia and Carmona twice if needed.

Archived