The Orioles, the media and the Hangout

clarence

and then one day the blogs and the other forms of media will realize that they too have to start paying journalists in order to bring on board talent that will get accurate scoops and have credible access to information others do not, and we will be right back where we started...

Except that many of the mainstream news organizations utilize blogs and other forms of media already. And many of the online sites have already earned media credentials and credibility. You are witnessing the transition of modern information dissemination right now.

-Don

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply
and then one day the blogs and the other forms of media will realize that they too have to start paying journalists in order to bring on board talent that will get accurate scoops and have credible access to information others do not, and we will be right back where we started...

Tony just said that he pays his writers....reading comprehension, JackO...

JackO acts as if only the big papers, "real" media, etc can be the only legit media sources.

Well, didn't they once start out as some backroom operation too, with people volunteering their time, or taking little pay? I am sure they were once mocked by the big boys too. Until they took them over, bought them out, or just plain left them in the dust.

The OH is a work in progress, and is far from finished. Tony started something special here, which explains why there is a heated debate over the 19-52 O's. In many ways it has eclipsed other forms of media that follow the O's.

I mean real salaries. You know. That once could live on.

That "once" could live on?

Might need to run that post by your editor, Jackie. (beat you to it)

I will ask you this though...isn't there almost more integrity in something that someone does for peanuts, or nothing, rather than something that someone does for a full salary?

I mean, the person who really loves what he does, and does it for free, is probably going to do something better than someone who is doing it as a full time job. Everything, no matter how great it is, becomes just a job if you do it long enough.

That "once" could live on?

Might need to run that post by your editor, Jackie. (beat you to it)

I will ask you this though...isn't there almost more integrity in something that someone does for peanuts, or nothing, rather than something that someone does for a full salary?

I mean, the person who really loves what he does, and does it for free, is probably going to do something better than someone who is doing it as a full time job. Everything, no matter how great it is, becomes just a job if you do it long enough.

This has nothing to do with integrity. I never insinuated anything close to questioning anyone's integrity -- aside from sources who might want to feed a reporter, pro or amateur, agenda-laced b.s.

It has to do with skill.

Look. I will make a simple analogy. High school ball baseball players, by and large, play the game because they love it. Some are good enough to one day play in MLB. Some have the basic skill set, physique, psychological make-up to get there.

Others are just really good at high school baseball.

Now, there is a lot to be said about watching a high school baseball game. It can be very enjoyable. Baseball in a really pure form.

But would you trust a high school baseball player to start at shortstop for the O's the day after he signs his first contract? (and god willing this won't be a protracted Boras fiasco.)

Probably not. Even C.I. is going to play a more competent SS this fall than will Manny Machado.

Yes, at some point some special high school baseball players become pro-ball players. And I hope that all of the writers here who want to one day cover the O's for the Sun of MASN or some blog through which they can make a living wage.

But let's face it. You're not on high school baseball chat site talking about who the next great freshman for Calvert Hall might be. You're here. Talking about the big leagues.

And thanks for catching the typo. Everyone needs an editor.

Real salaries. You know. That one could live on.

So it's all about the money, or the sheepskin I guess. You can spin it any 37 ways you want to, but you are still an elitist snob.

And I only mean that as constructive criticism. ;)

This has nothing to do with integrity. I never insinuated anything close to questioning anyone's integrity -- aside from sources who might want to feed a reporter, pro or amateur, agenda-laced b.s.

It has to do with skill.

Look. I will make a simple analogy. High school ball baseball players, by and large, play the game because they love it. Some are good enough to one day play in MLB. Some have the basic skill set, physique, psychological make-up to get there.

Now, there is a lot to be said about watching a high school baseball game. It can be very enjoyable. Baseball in a really pure form.

But would you trust a high school baseball player to start at shortstop for the O's the day after he signs his first contract? (and god willing this won't be a protracted Boras fiasco.)

Probably not. Even C.I. is going to play a more competent SS this fall than will Manny Machado.

Yes, at some point some special high school baseball players become pro-ball players. And I hope that all of the writers here who want to one day cover the O's for the Sun of MASN or some blog through which they can make a living wage.

But let's face it. You're not on high school baseball chat site talking about who the next great freshman for Calvert Hall might be. You're here. Talking about the big leagues.

Yes. You have. For 11 damn pages now. I don't think it's any of us who have reading comprehension issues...

It has to do with skill.

Link please?

Archived