Potential concern about Rendon

But just cause you can swing it faster doesn't mean the ball will go farther! I can swing a golf club faster then a baseball bat, wanna bet I can't hit the ball farther with a golf club? DO you get the analogy here? It's not only speed, it's weight also, the two go together.

Well it's not just the two, agreeing with your point, but the wood make up itself has something to do with it. The wood "gives" and absorbs a bit of the contact where the metal will just vibrate. You bat with wood and you get nicks and "bruises" in it all the time, with a metal bat you just get scuff marks.

There is some physics involved with the wood v metal bat debate, but it's much safer for HS kids to use metal bats (not to mention more affordable), so that will never change.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well, you absolutely can generate as much bat speet with a wooden bat as you can with a metal bat. After all, part of this is the fact that the weight of the bat means nothing. Remember, 32oz wood bat weighs the same as a 32oz metal bat.

But the fact that the ball comes off of a metal bat faster means it will absolutely travel further, as you (and everyone else but mark_beckens) have already said.

I would like to know your experience using wood and or metal bats? HS? College? Pro? Professor of engineering? Or are you just talking out your a$$? Being like Old fan who thinks they know everything cause they watch the game on TV!

Well it's not just the two, agreeing with your point, but the wood make up itself has something to do with it. The wood "gives" and absorbs a bit of the contact where the metal will just vibrate. You bat with wood and you get nicks and "bruises" in it all the time, with a metal bat you just get scuff marks.

There is some physics involved with the wood v metal bat debate, but it's much safer for HS kids to use metal bats (not to mention more affordable), so that will never change.

I agree with most of what you just said. The reason HS's and colleges us metal is cost/liability. For those who say, faster equals farther, their is more to physics then just V!

I would like to know your experience using wood and or metal bats? HS? College? Pro? Professor of engineering? Or are you just talking out your a$$? Being like Old fan who thinks they know everything cause they watch the game on TV!

I played through college. But that doesn't mean anything. You think that a wooden bat maximizes distance, but it simply doesn't. It's just not physically possible.

You go by your own experience, but you were obviously better at baseball by the time you started using a wood bat. You were able to hit the ball further because you were just a better hitter.

But you refuse to agree with simple physics here, and that's more OldFanish than anything. If you haven't noticed (and I don't think you have), this debate has long since deviated from wood vs. metal bats.

Did you mean to switch these around?
Oops, yeah sorry, was trying to run out the door when I typed it. A bit dyslexic this morning.

He seems to be the type of prospect that this organization desperately needs though his big league debut would be a few years out.

http://paws.kettering.edu/~drussell/bats-new/alumwood.html

[2] Aluminum bats have the "trampoline effect"

When a ball hits a wood bat, it compresses to nearly half its original diameter, losing up to 75% of its initial energy to internal friction forces during this compression. In a hollow bat, however, the bat barrel compresses somewhat like a spring, when the ball impacts it. This means that the ball is not compressed as much and therefore loses less energy to internal friction forces. Furthermore, most of the energy temporarily stored in the barrel is returned to the ball, and the energy which is lost in the bat compression is a small fraction of what would have been lost in the ball if it had impacted a wood bat instead. The physics behind the trampoline effect is somewhat complex, though a simple model can be used to illustrate the main concepts, as explained elsewhere on this website. What I want to do here is discuss experimental evidence that a trampoline effect really does seem to be partly responsible for improvement in performance of aluminum bats over wood.

Archived