Buster Olney on Sportscenter "Yankees might return to the late 80's..."

Moose Milligan

He was just on sportscenter talking about the Yankees and how the Torre firing might trigger a return to the way the Yankees were in the late 1980's.

How possible do you think this is?

God I hope it happens. It'd be amazing.

Anything is possible w/George as owner. I guess it depends on a) if Cashman survives and b) how influential he is. Best case scenario is a return to the 1980s. But if Cashman is convincing we might see a return to the way the Yankees were in the mid 90s.

I think the payroll they can afford means that they will never need than about 1 year to retool. The payroll differential was not so drastic in the '80's.

Yeah, I agree. I think the Yanks could fall off to the point where they don't make the playoffs every year, and have some 8 something win totals from time to time, but I doubt they'll have more than one losing season in a row or miss the playoffs for more than 3 years at a time, which doesn't compare to wha they did in the 80's and early 90's.

I think the payroll they can afford means that they will never need than about 1 year to retool. The payroll differential was not so drastic in the '80's.

Agreed.

Heck, at the halfway mark, we thought the Yankees were in a position of where they were in the late 80s. But they started slugging their way back in to it.

Next year it could easily go either way like that once again.

Cashman's ideal of young arms, power rotation would still go down in flames if they hire Girardi. That is best case scenario. I don't wish injury on anyone, but if Girardi is hired he will wear out Kennedy/Hughes/Sanchez/ and Chamberlain

Let 'em hire Dusty Baker. He's worse than Girardi.

You don't know what you have til' gone, speaking of Torre not the song by Cinderella. Of course, someone could make the argument that anyone could take that team to the playoffs. Garardi would probably be the replacement and I don't think that means the Yankees all of the sudden become the 80's Yanks. Wishful thinking but it ain't gonna happen with the firepower they have.

I think it's very possible.

They can spend all the money they want & it doesn't guarantee a thing.

Torre's Yankees were much more imposing with guys like Scott Brosius, Tino Martinez & Paul O'Neill than the "superstars" that replaced them like A-Rod, Giambi, Sheffield, et al...

As for their young pitchers: Well, they certainly are a collection of talented young men. Baseball history is littered with prospects who never panned out. Maybe they'll all have 1.99 career ERA's, but only be able to last 52 innings.

The Yankees dynasty got staggered in 2001, knocked to the canvas in 2004, and right now the referee's count is up to about 8.

Anybody in NY will tell you Mariano Rivera was the MVP of the 1996-2007 Yankees. How much does he have left? Jeter's several years into his thirties The Yankees are human beings. They had a great run. I think it's over.

Agreed. They have the offense. They had young talent in the minors. The will make trades to get better pitching. Santana is one target. I am sure they will find others during the off season. They will reload fast.

The only thing I see delaying that is the uncertainity around ownership and possibly, if they fire Cashman.

Archived