Who are your top targets this offseason...

Sports Guy

Well, it seems to me that you are valauing these guys the same.

a 4/56 deal for Beltre would be pretty good and I agree with you that it would be nice value for us.

4/56 for VMart would be terrible for us.

VMart is an average 1B who is the best available this off season. His ability to play 40 games at backup catcher make him above average because of the offensive improvement over other backup catcher like Tatum and the offensive improve we may see from Wieters if he is property rested. He is a leader from everything I have read.

He doesn't seem that tied to Boston. I thought the Yankees may want him but the early things I have read say he may not be a priority for the Yankees. So for the right money he may come to Baltimore.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply
VMart is an average 1B who is the best available this off season. His ability to play 40 games at backup catcher make him above average because of the offensive improvement over other backup catcher like Tatum and the offensive improve we may see from Wieters if he is property rested. He is a leader from everything I have read.

He doesn't seem that tied to Boston. I thought the Yankees may want him but the early things I have read say he may not be a priority for the Yankees. So for the right money he may come to Baltimore.

How do you know this?

And he isn't going to catch 40 games next year if Wieters is healthy.

You are offering too much much overall money and way too many years.

Beltre is my top target. He costs only money and a 2nd rounder. He's a top-5 guy with the glove, well above average with the bat (forget his stats from this year), and gives us some power at a corner IF position. And, there isn't any other free agent 3B anywhere close to his level this year or next. At both 1B and SS, there are better options in 2011 than there are this offseason. So, while I want to address all three positions, 3B is top priority in my mind.

And by the way, I don't buy the idea that he tries harder in his contract years. I'd gladly take the 2006-08 version of Beltre, none of which were contact years. His 2009 contract year stunk, which is why he only signed a one-year deal in the first place.

Good point - that's the thing with Beltre. He's our kind of guy. Great defense and a solid bat.

How do you know this?

And he isn't going to catch 40 games next year if Wieters is healthy.

You are offering too much much overall money and way too many years.

I looked that his defensive numbers when he played first and watched him when we played Boston.

I think one of the ideas of having a very good backup catcher is to keep Wieters fresh by letting him DH more. It should improve his offense.

Is it too much money for too many years? Well it a question of do the O's want him or not. If he is mostly playing 1B he should be productive at 35. And the dollars are how much does it take for the O's to sign him. If MacPhail can get him for less, all the better.

I looked that his defensive numbers when he played first and watched him when we played Boston.

I think one of the ideas of having a very good backup catcher is to keep Wieters fresh by letting him DH more. It should improve his offense.

Is it too much money for too many years? Well it a question of do the O's want him or not. If he is mostly playing 1B he should be productive at 35. And the dollars are how much does it take for the O's to sign him. If MacPhail can get him for less, all the better.

Why? Because playing first reverses the aging process and takes away all the wear and tear from your body from catching for years and years?

And Martinez has a shot at being average defensively but we need a larger sampling of him playing everyday.

Why? Because playing first reverses the aging process and takes away all the wear and tear from your body from catching for years and years?

No because he is still hitting well at 31 and the ware and tear will be decreased over the contract by playing him mostly at 1B which is an easier position of the body.

Trade DH for Sean Rodriguez (to play at 3B)

Trade Tillman/prospect for Furcal

Sign one of Werth/Lee/Berkman/VMart. If Werth signed, Scott to 1B.

Total added cost = $18M-$27M for 2011 (on the lower end of range if Lee, on higher end if VMart or Werth)

Projected total incremental runs = 75-100

Should put the O's in position to score over 700 runs next year, while adding to defense as well. If pitching grows, could be a nice 85-90 win team with projection for more down the road if Matusz, Britton, Arrieta become stars.

RH hitters. RH hitters who can actually hit. RH hitters who can add some punch. RH hitters who can play some corner infield. RH hitters. Victor Martinez, Aramis Ramirez, Adrian Beltre, Billy Butler, to name a few. Kyle Blanks is another one I would take a shot at.

I think it makes too much sense not to go hard after Victor Martinez in Free Agency. If I were willing to trade Adam Jones, I would make a push for Billy Butler. If I were not willing to trade Jones, I would go after Blanks using Pie as the bait. To me, one of our young CFer's will be dealt to fill a position of need.

Derrek Lee is my number one. We need a right handed first baseman and it's not often you can get a Lee type player at a discount price without giving up a pick. I don't at all buy that he's in a significant decline or that his injuries this year will affect him long-term. As recently as 2009 he hit .972, and since the all-star break this year he's hit .847. I'm hoping he's high up on MacPhail's priority list (and VMart is not), especially since Andy brought him to the Cubs in the first place.

Lee's ending strong. His "down" year now stands at .774. Since the all-star break, he's hit .297/.368/.505, and that doesn't include today's home run. He's definitely my top target even if it takes two years, which it probably will.

Then make a big run for AGon the following offseason.

Archived