Will Orioles Deal With Mets?

section18

Looking at it from the Mets perspective, they'd need pitching, a replacement for Wright, plus a C, and some OF help. I don't see them trading either Wright or Reyes. Maybe Reyes, but they have nothing behind him at SS. With Wright and Reyes they have a solid IF and then they need some help at C, OF, and maybe another SP, all of which they could get FA.

They aren't going to close all of those holes by dealing Wright alone. So the question is, from a financial standpoint, can they really solve all of that by FA? I doubt it. They need to compete with PHI, and I just don't see it being done through FA alone.

They need to move some money and to get back a couple of cheaper young players. Then, they can go back to some big signings in 2011 when a couple big bats are there.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Looking at it from the Mets perspective, they'd need pitching, a replacement for Wright, plus a C, and some OF help. I don't see them trading either Wright or Reyes. Maybe Reyes, but they have nothing behind him at SS. With Wright and Reyes they have a solid IF and then they need some help at C, OF, and maybe another SP, all of which they could get FA.

At the worst, they would have Ruben Tejada playing SS until Wilmer Flores is ready.

They aren't going to close all of those holes by dealing Wright alone. So the question is, from a financial standpoint, can they really solve all of that by FA? I doubt it. They need to compete with PHI, and I just don't see it being done through FA alone.

They need to move some money and to get back a couple of cheaper young players. Then, they can go back to some big signings in 2011 when a couple big bats are there.

They need some insurance at SP if Santana isn't recovered. They could pick up someone like Laird or Napoli, to help them a C. They will not be able to move Beltran IMO, so they have and OF of Bay Beltran, Martinez, and Pagan. The could use another OF bat but nothing that costly. I think they could do that thorgh FA and keep the IF intact.

Yes he's quite forgettable. The Mets are better off keeping their IF intact IMO.

They might be. But they won't likely catch the Phillies doing that, and I'd even put the Braves ahead of them. Maybe moving Bay alone gets them to where they need to be, though, regarding payroll flexibility. You could be right.

They might be. But they won't likely catch the Phillies doing that, and I'd even put the Braves ahead of them. Maybe moving Bay alone gets them to where they need to be, though, regarding payroll flexibility. You could be right.
How can they do better than an IF of Wright, Reyes, Tejada and Davis? Maybe upgrade over Davis, but he is very promising. It would be great to replace Beltran with a healthy league average CF, but that isn't happening, IMO. Add vet SP like Padilla, get rid of, Castilla, and Perez, and get another OF bat. They can compete with the Braves, and the Phillies are starting to look old IMO. I think most of their problems had to do with the manager and the GM.The Mets look better to me than the O's.

How can they do better than an IF of Wright, Reyes, Tejada and Davis? Maybe upgrade over Davis, but he is very promising. It would be great to replace Beltran with a healthy league average CF, but that isn't happening, IMO. Add vet SP like Padilla, get rid of, Castilla, and Perez, and get another OF bat. They can compete with the Braves, and the Phillies are starting to look old IMO. I think most of their problems had to do with the manager and the GM.The Mets look better to me than the O's.

The infield isn't the problem, is it? I think the point would be to potentially deal from an area of strength to help plug multiple areas of need.

Something like this is the homerun move for the Mets (in my opinion)

Trade Wright -- lets use BAL and say Britton/Jones/Avery

Sign Beltre for 4/60

You are right around what you would be paying Wright but you've added (1) a back-end arm with room to grow into a mid-rotation guy, and (2) a center fielder for the foreseeable future. Both have been added for multiple years of cheap contracts and mean you don't need to spend market for FA to fill those holes.

Your INF is now Beltre/Reyes/Tejada/Davis, not a huge step down from what it was, and you've added a young and well-regarded SP/CF.

The infield isn't the problem, is it? I think the point would be to potentially deal from an area of strength to help plug multiple areas of need.

Something like this is the homerun move for the Mets (in my opinion)

Trade Wright -- lets use BAL and say Britton/Jones/Avery

Sign Beltre for 4/60

You are right around what you would be paying Wright but you've added (1) a back-end arm with room to grow into a mid-rotation guy, and (2) a center fielder for the foreseeable future. Both have been added for multiple years of cheap contracts and mean you don't need to spend market for FA to fill those holes.

Your INF is now Beltre/Reyes/Tejada/Davis, not a huge step down from what it was, and you've added a young and well-regarded SP/CF.

The Mets would be better of to sign Cory Patterson, Laird and Padilla probaly for less money than Beltre would cost, and keep Wright IMO.

The Mets would be better of to sign Cory Patterson, Laird and Padilla probaly for less money than Beltre would cost, and keep Wright IMO.

I think that is a low-risk move with little upside. You honestly believe that:

Wright/Patterson/Laird/Padilla

is more desirable than

Beltre/Jones/Laird/Britton

?

Okay, but I think my four are a solid collection for next year and absolutely blow you away with regards to future value.

I think that is a low-risk move with little upside. You honestly believe that:

Wright/Patterson/Laird/Padilla

is more desirable than

Beltre/Jones/Laird/Britton

?

Okay, but I think my four are a solid collection for next year and absolutely blow you away with regards to future value.

I don't see the Mets rebuilding for the future. They have no place to play Jones unless they move one of Bay or Beltran,(not easy) and Padilla will be more productive the next two years than Britton. Plus Wright is the fan favorite, you are going to have to bring in more than Britton, Jones, Beltre, and Avery to keep them from lynching you.

It might be prudent to just focus discussion on whether we should trade for Beltran. Then maybe we can trade Jones to SD for AGon... IDK. It's all too blurry right now. Who knows what Alderson thinks of the Mets finances. Maybe he even keeps Beltran and Bay and tries to add to them.

I don't see the Mets rebuilding for the future. They have no place to play Jones unless they move one of Bay or Beltran,(not easy) and Padilla will be more productive the next two years than Britton. Plus Wright is the fan favorite, you are going to have to bring in more than Britton, Jones, Beltre, and Avery to keep them from lynching you.

I'll give you this -- I can't deny that NYN might think this way. But if they do, they have almost no chance of winning the NL East any time soon. The "core" they have in place isn't getting it done, and they aren't going to have the cash flow to go out and spend spend spend on FA, let alone extend Wright in three years.

I'll give you this -- I can't deny that NYN might think this way. But if they do, they have almost no chance of winning the NL East any time soon. The "core" they have in place isn't getting it done, and they aren't going to have the cash flow to go out and spend spend spend on FA, let alone extend Wright in three years.
If they want to rebuild, then they should try to move Wright, Reyes, Santana, Beltran, Perez and Padilla. Good luck to them.

Archived