Will Orioles Deal With Mets?

section18

With the new Mets GM Sandy Alderson (known as Mr. Fix-It) ready to make the necessary moves to improve the Mets will he move David Wright or Jose Reyes in separate deals?

The Orioles should have interest in both players if available.

Wright, right handed, is 27 years old and signed for $14 mill in 2011, $15 mill in 2012 and has a $16 mill option for 2013 with a $1 mill buyout if they elect not to exercise the option.

2010: 29 HR, .283 BA, 103 RBI

Reyes is also 27 years old and a switch hitter with speed that would be a big asset batting behind Roberts second in our lineup. He could also leadoff if Roberts has any more setbacks in 2011. He has an option for 2011 at $11 mill so an extension will have to be part of the deal. The word out of NY is he will get probably a 4 yr deal for $48 mill or $52 mill and it may go to 5 yrs for $60 - $65 mill total.

2010: GP 133 · AVG .282 · HR 11 · RBI 54 · Runs 83 · SB 30

If either player is available we should be first in line and do what it takes to obtain them. Anyone who saw the Mets at OP back in June clearly saw why these two players were signed to big contracts back in 2006. Reyes just needs to play more having missed almost 30 games in 2010.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The only way to acquire either player would be to give up a 5-1 deal. We don't have enough depth to really make a deal like that and we aren't close enough to the playoffs to make these worthwhile deals.

The Mets need to keep both if they are going to compete. If anything, they will look to dump KRod, Beltran, Castillo, and/or Perez to save even a few million dollars, or to pick up a lower level prospect.

The only way to acquire either player would be to give up a 5-1 deal. We don't have enough depth to really make a deal like that and we aren't close enough to the playoffs to make these worthwhile deals.

The Mets need to keep both if they are going to compete. If anything, they will look to dump KRod, Beltran, Castillo, and/or Perez to save even a few million dollars, or to pick up a lower level prospect.

Bay as well if they can find a taker, no?

I think KRod is definitely gone, considering the nonsense that happened last season. And I'm sure they'd love to rid themselves of Beltran, too, but I think his contract will make it tough to move him on his own. Now, if it were a "we'll give you Reyes/Wright if you take Beltran" scenario, that's a different story.

Trading for Reyes would be a poor idea.

Trading for Wright is a great idea...You have to kick the tires on that and see what it would take to get him.

Agreed. Not really big on Reyes either (for what it would likely cost to get him). Wright, on the other hand, is a franchise-type player still in his prime.

Exactly, which is why the Mets aren't about to deal him, unless completely overwhelmed, which the Orioles can't do. Wright isn't going anywhere. Let's be realistic. Reyes MIGHT be available. I would think that Bay IS available. I would think Beltran IS available. You may not want those guys but that's reality, not fantasy.

You would have to start with a deal that has Guthrie, Jones, and Wieters to get Wright and you'd have to take back a bad contract like Beltran's or Bay's.

Oh, I completely agree that it's 99.9999% unlikely to happen. The Mets aren't stupid. Inept? Maybe. Stupid? No.

Archived