Red Sox/Padres Talking AGon Trade (UPDATE: Trade done)

MrOrange82

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply
FWIW just got off the phone with someone who said, second hand, it was Kelly, Kalish, Rizzo and one lower level kid. I'd assign about a 50% comfort level with the info, considering the contacts the guy has.

Can you put that in Orioles prospects terms? I'm not familiar with Rizzo or Kalish.

Put me in the boat that doesn't understand this trade from SD's side. Casey Kelly was young to pitch at AA this year, but his ERA was awful. Is he any better prospect than Tillman, who is still very young himself, pitched better through the minors and has made it the majors already? Anthony Rizzo also young for moving to AA this year, but he struck out 136 times on the season. He had a bunch or HRs, but is he bound for anything better than a Brandon Waring-esque career? Just looking at numbers alone, I think I'd prefer Avery and Hoes over him.

I think if the Orioles could have traded Tillman and Avery as the core of a trade for Adrian Gonzalez, and had a chance to extend Gonzalez as well, everyone would have been jumping at the deal.

Put me in the boat that doesn't understand this trade from SD's side. Casey Kelly was young to pitch at AA this year, but his ERA was awful. Is he any better prospect than Tillman, who is still very young himself, pitched better through the minors and has made it the majors already? Anthony Rizzo also young for moving to AA this year, but he struck out 136 times on the season. He had a bunch or HRs, but is he bound for anything better than a Brandon Waring-esque career? Just looking at numbers alone, I think I'd prefer Avery and Hoes over him.

I think if the Orioles could have traded Tillman and Avery as the core of a trade for Adrian Gonzalez, and had a chance to extend Gonzalez as well, everyone would have been jumping at the deal.

Kelly is a much better prospect than Tillman. We would have had to have given up Britton in his place.

Can you put that in Orioles prospects terms? I'm not familiar with Rizzo or Kalish.

Baltimore doesn't really have comparable MiL talent, considering age/level (Kalish around 22 and reached ML last year, Rizzo around 20 and played at AA). Rizzo is a possible Top 100 guy; Kalish isn't prospect eligible because of his PA at the ML level last year. Both are good young players with power; Kalish with very strong plate discipline.

If accurate, it's a package that gives SDN three ML guys, maybe at some point in 2011 and almost certainly by 2012.

FWIW just got off the phone with someone who said, second hand, it was Kelly, Kalish, Rizzo and one lower level kid. I'd assign about a 50% comfort level with the info, considering the contacts the guy has.

Maybe we'll get to hear we were 'in on the bidding' with MacPhail offering a package centered around Jason Berken, Josh Bell and an autographed Kent Hrbek jersey. And that MacPhail was never given a chance to up his offer.

Maybe we'll get to hear we were 'in on the bidding' with MacPhail offering a package centered around Jason Berken, Josh Bell and an autographed Kent Hrbek jersey. And that MacPhail was never given a chance to up his offer.

I must spread rep around being giving it to Bruno again.

That said, NO WAY he throws in the Hrbek jersey on the first offer! It would have been a Greg Zaun 2009 Baltimore Orioles Game Used Jersey! :laughlol:

Baltimore doesn't really have comparable MiL talent, considering age/level (Kalish around 22 and reached ML last year, Rizzo around 20 and played at AA). Rizzo is a possible Top 100 guy; Kalish isn't prospect eligible because of his PA at the ML level last year. Both are good young players with power; Kalish with very strong plate discipline.

If accurate, it's a package that gives SDN three ML guys, maybe at some point in 2011 and almost certainly by 2012.

Sounds like a pretty good haul for 1 year of AGon.

This is not a shock, and I fully expected it.

The question is what is our answer going to be to Mark Teixeira and Adrian Gonzalez?

Derrek Lee? :laughlol: Please.

Prince Fielder or somebody comparable needs to bring his bat to OPACY, and MacPhail needs to make sure that happens...this offseason.

It just goes to show how committed the Orioles are going to have to be to actually win in this division.

They've either got to go all in, or blow it up again because the Sox and Yankees are going to rule this division otherwise and the Orioles will never catch them by treading water.

Sounds like a pretty good haul for 1 year of AGon.

I agree. It's actually a nice deal for BOS, too, if it's accurate. Kelly stings to lose, but it's possible he isn't a core of their rotation until 2013 if there is any adjustment period to work through. Kalish is a good prospect, but Boston has time to give Reddick a shot at a corner and they don't need Rizzo if they have AGon. If Lars Anderson can bounce back some, he could slot in as a DH or a trade chip.

Essentially, BOS dealt from good depth and should not be much affected by losing those three, if it is those three. Holding onto Iglesias is HUGE.

I agree. It's actually a nice deal for BOS, too, if it's accurate. Kelly stings to lose, but it's possible he isn't a core of their rotation until 2013 if there is any adjustment period to work through. Kalish is a good prospect, but Boston has time to give Reddick a shot at a corner and they don't need Rizzo if they have AGon. If Lars Anderson can bounce back some, he could slot in as a DH or a trade chip.

Essentially, BOS dealt from good depth and should not be much affected by losing those three, if it is those three. Holding onto Iglesias is HUGE.

Spot on. It must be nice to have such depth that they can offer such a package and really not feel any pain.

Do you think they'll do that, or do you think they'll bring in Werth? Would you rather have Reddick or Reimold in your organization? One aspect about this trade is that it doesn't include Ellsbury. I could see him being on the move in a separate deal.

I have been against the Prince Fielder possibility until today. Who cares if it turns out to be a bad signing at this point. I need to see some commitment from the organization that they are actually trying to win. I don't see it, and I haven't seen it from them in quite some time...

I love the line from an earlier post that they are trying for the possibility to finish in 4th place if everything comes together. It seems like that's exactly what they are trying to do.

This is not a shock, and I fully expected it.

The question is what is our answer going to be to Mark Teixeira and Adrian Gonzalez?

Derrek Lee? :laughlol: Please.

Prince Fielder or somebody comparable needs to bring his bat to OPACY, and MacPhail needs to make sure that happens...this offseason.

It just goes to show how committed the Orioles are going to have to be to actually win in this division.

They've either got to go all in, or blow it up again because the Sox and Yankees are going to rule this division otherwise and the Orioles will never catch them by treading water.

Of course, that would be true if the strength of a team is measured by the player who man's 1B. If the O's were 3 wins behind the Sox and needed a major upgrade behind a single position, this argument would have legitimacy. Unfortunately, we won 66 games last year so your nonsensical rants don't even begin to hold water.

Archived