Red Sox/Padres Talking AGon Trade (UPDATE: Trade done)

MrOrange82

This is why Boston and NY are great teams year after year!

Boston wastes no time in going out and getting exactly what they want. Good thing the Orioles don't need a power first baseman, oh no wait, we do....or do we.

Let's just plug some cheaper guy or 2nd tier guy there. Why would we want the best? Luke Scott will do, maybe a guy thats coming off surgery or better yet, lets save our money and just complain about not getting Texiera. UNREAL.

If the Orioles ever want to contend, they have to play with the big boys. Trade some of these young guys with POTENTIAL and get some proven players. Obviously free agents dont want to come here, so we need to trade to get better. Now we get to deal with this power hitting first baseman for many years to come.

I hope we trade to get Fielder!!!

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Do you think they'll do that, or do you think they'll bring in Werth? Would you rather have Reddick or Reimold in your organization? One aspect about this trade is that it doesn't include Ellsbury. I could see him being on the move in a separate deal.

I think BOS will have the room to bring on Werth or Crawford if they want. Ortiz, Drew and Cameron come off the books next year, so some money frees up. I'm a bit surprised they didn't instead opt for something like Dunn (rather than signing Ortiz) and then just grabbing AGon next off-season. But, if the the package isn't a huge loss in usable pieces, I guess getting AGon now works just fine.

I think, re: Ellsbury/Reddick/Anderson, BOS has the big pieces in place to let the younger kids develop. Iglesias could play a pro SS right now, though I'm sure he'll be at AAA putting in work. He'd be my opening day SS in 2012.

When are certain posters going to realize that this baseball is played by more than first basemen?

You're right, why would we want a solid first baseman with power numbers? Dunn hits the ball too far, A-Gon is too consistent at the plate and V-Mart hits lefties too well.

Let's just stick with Wiggy/Scott and keep our AAA team stocked!

When are certain posters going to realize that this baseball is played by more than first basemen?

I was under the impression that Prince Fielder was large enough to encompass the entire field. Maybe that's why the look away at all the other positions we need to fill.

ESPN somewhat confirms those three young Sox as involved:

http://sports.espn.go.com/boston/mlb/news/story?id=5882356

The Padres would not receive any established major league players in the trade, but it's likely the Red Sox would include their top pitching prospect, Casey Kelly, sources have said. Red Sox prospects Anthony Rizzo and Ryan Kalish also have been brought up as possible pieces, sources said.

Nice haul for SD if true...Should pretty much end the thought that Tillman, DH and Bell can get us Fielder.

Why because we are going to extend him like the Sox are extending Gonzalez?

They wouldn't give up that much if they couldn't extend him.

Spot on. It must be nice to have such depth that they can offer such a package and really not feel any pain.

That's the key here. They have enough minor league depth that they can afford to risk losing a trade, potentially losing big, and have it not impact the major league team. They're trading for one year of Adrian Gonzalez and the opportunity to negotiate with him. That worth five wins or so. They're giving up much more potential value than that. Over the six years they'd be under Sox control they could be worth 15, 20, even more wins, and easily $10s of millions of dollars.

Why because we are going to extend him like the Sox are extending Gonzalez?

They wouldn't give up that much if they couldn't extend him.

The extension has little to do with the value in the deal. All you're paying for is an exclusive negotiation window. For a team like the O's that isn't worth a plug nickle.

No major league players AND an extension window for a contract?

Does somebody want to repost that "Still have faith in MacPhail?" poll again.

He's pathetic.

Casey Kelly's numbers don't look any better than Zach B's. And i'm sure we could've made the other pieces work to put a better deal together by throwing in Arrieta or Tillman plus other prospects with Zach B.

Puts the whole "Mark Reynolds, Jason Bartlett, JJ Hardy" garbage into perspective. Some GMs play to win...others play for 5th place.

If the Orioles were Boston, half of our 25 man roster would still be in the minor leagues.

Hes young, gifted and not terribly expensive...EVEN if he signs a long term extension. He's extremely popular and a good person. He's EXACTLY what the Orioles needed, and now he goes to the competition. Argh. This is the guy I wanted. They move Youkilis to third and theyve got a terrific lineup again...and they can kiss Beltre goodbye if they want to . The Orioles better make this Reynolds deal..and fast...they better think about how much better their rivals are getting...especially if the Yankees get Lee.

I agree with what you say about Gonzalez. He would have been a nice fit here, but I don't think he would have extended with us if we were able to come to an agreement with the Pads.

Archived