Prince Fielder or Bust

jonglo

Never said that and really don't care what they turnout to be.Prospects by definition are untested players.Most will be out of baseball in afew years.We need to be proactive and use our assets to aquire the best pieces for this team.

So why can't we just use our money, and save our assets, to acquire Fielder next year. Why give up Tillman and co. to have Fielder this year when we can just sign him next year?

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What Fielder is is a 26yo masher.81 games at the yard would just be incredible.We need a 1b now.Why are we not getting the best one available to us?

Because it's not a smart decision? Honestly, I have no idea why you're harping on this here. You can search for Prince Fielder and come up with countless threads regarding him that will occupy you for the rest of the day.

Because it's not a smart decision? Honestly, I have no idea why you're harping on this here. You can search for Prince Fielder and come up with countless threads regarding him that will occupy you for the rest of the day.

In all fairness, this thread is called "Prince Fielder or Bust."

What Fielder is is a 26yo masher.81 games at the yard would just be incredible.We need a 1b now.Why are we not getting the best one available to us?

Oh, I'd love to have Fielder on the team - maybe not in 2016, but definitely now - and if they could get him relatively cheaply and sign him to a semi-sane extension as part of the deal, I'd be all for it. I just don't think it's likely that they'd be able to do both of those things. Hopefully MacPhail's at least checking into it, though (and I'd guess he is).

Because his agent is Scott Boras and he will test the free agent market at the end of the 2011 season. He will not sign an extension and you can book it...

Because his agent is Scott Boras and he will test the free agent market at the end of the 2011 season. He will not sign an extension and you can book it...

And if we are willing to pay the most for him, what's the problem?

We need his bat next year, not just in 2012.

If you want to go after him after 2011 and have every intention to sign him, why not acquire him early when there is no competition?

You trade for him, you get him and he has no choice but to play for Baltimore.

What is the difference between trading for him now and extending him, or trading for him and then re-signing him?

If you want to go after him after 2011 and have every intention to sign him, why not acquire him early when there is no competition?

What is the difference between trading for him now and extending him, or trading for him and then re-signing him?

So you don't give up a bunch of young talent in a year where you aren't contending.

Why do you keep asking these same stupid questions over and over again?

You are on record as saying you would not extend Fielder..That you feel we can get him cheaper as a FA.

So, just wait until then...He is only going to sign here if you pay him the most money, so be willing to put a huge deal on the table and that's that. This idea of trading a lot for him is just stupid and pointless.

Because you're assuming that he will re-sign or extend with us. That's a bet you're making with a lot of young talent. If he doesn't then we just got a rental player when we're not ready to contend and lost talent for the privilege. This seems like OH 101 to me, but maybe I'm the only one.

The problem is reality. We have no guarantee that another team will offer more than the O's would be willing to pay. And we have no idea if he'd prefer to stay. Cliff Lee signing for less than the highest offer should make you understand that making the highest offer doesn't guarantee you get the player.

Your last question shows a disconnect from reality.

The problem is reality. We have no guarantee that another team will offer more than the O's would be willing to pay. And we have no idea if he'd prefer to stay. Cliff Lee signing for less than the highest offer should make you understand that making the highest offer doesn't guarantee you get the player. Your last question shows a disconnect from reality.

If you look at the contract that CLee signed, he actually did sign for the most money. However he went where he wanted to go all along, imo.

I am not comfortable seeing Baltimore get on board with giving out these insane contracts, and a guy like Prince does not make it any more palatable.He really may be in good shape, but man, he makes me look like a marathon runner.

Archived