Per Jeff Z: O's in serious talks for JJ Hardy!

Nick The Stick

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Sounds like a butterfly stitch over a 3 foot gash to me. Guys, is this all we can expect this offseason are players that were never wanted from their former team? We have not made one sign yet. Please quit stroking MacPhail's ego, or we'll never sign anyone. The front office had to fill holes with someone that has played in the majors, and that is all they have done. This guy's best year came from a team in the National League. Added with the strikeout king we've already added, I don't see anything that resembles an improvement yet. Lee, Laroche, Vlad , Thome , or bust. You can't build a team with smoke an mirrors.

Is it just me...or do all the disciples of the Prophet of the One True Way have low post counts, bad attitudes and red pips? :eek:

Would either Jacobsen or the other PTBNL we subject to the Rule V draft? If so, I wonder whether the Twins would want to wait to consumate this trade until both players clear the Rule V draft.

I can clarify this for you.

Jacobson has only been in professional ball since 2008, which would only give him three years of service time. After four seasons, Jacobson would have to be protected.

Regarding the Rule 5 draft tomorrow, most teams that trade players who are available in the Rule 5 list them as a PTBNL in a trade so that if they are taken, then another name goes to the other team.

Here's an update on Bartlett:

The Rays will definitely trade Jason Bartlett, according to Joel Sherman of the New York Post, who suggests a deal could go down tonight (Twitter links). The Orioles aren't involved, so it's down to the Padres and Pirates. We'll keep track of all the rumors right here:

* It appears that Bartlett wants to sign an extension if traded, according to Sherman

I've got two thoughts on this:

1) Hopefully the Pirates trade for Bartlett so Hardy is basically ours if he's traded. I highly doubt the Padres would trade to get him back.

2) IF Bartlett is serious about wanting to extend, and would do so for a 3 year deal (including a buyout of 2011) for less than 20 MM or so, I'd be ok with giving up Reimold to get him.

Link

1) Hopefully the Pirates trade for Bartlett so Hardy is basically ours if he's traded. I highly doubt the Padres would trade to get him back.

2) IF Bartlett is serious about wanting to extend, and would do so for a 3 year deal (including a buyout of 2011) for less than 20 MM or so, I'd be ok with giving up Reimold to get him.

Link

1. I don't think the Padres ever had Hardy. He came from Milwaukee.

2. No thanks on a Bartlett extension. He was worth about 1 win this year, and has been declining for a while. I'd rather have the pick.

3. This could be Tampa trying to bluff us. There seems to be a lot of talk about trading for SS the last couple of days. Kind of sounds like posturing.

Link

I agree with #1, but why #2? You really think he's a guy we want at SS for the next 3 years at 6 or so million a year?

1. I don't think the Padres ever had Hardy. He came from Milwaukee.

HA! Sorry, I'm in a cough-medicine-induced haze and I merged Hardy and Khalil Greene in my head :o

2. No thanks on a Bartlett extension. He was worth about 1 win this year, and has been declining for a while. I'd rather have the pick.

3. This could be Tampa trying to bluff us. There seems to be a lot of talk about trading for SS the last couple of days. Kind of sounds like posturing.

I agree with #1, but why #2? You really think he's a guy we want at SS for the next 3 years at 6 or so million a year?

I don't really like Bartlett that much. Mweb, as you know, we've been in agreement about him being an overrated target.

However, if we trade for Bartlett and he walks next season, we're in the exact same situation again at the end of 2011. I'm honestly getting so sick of having to address SS over and over again that I'd lock up Bartlett at something like a 3/15 extension (through 2013) just to know that we had a capable SS in place until Machado comes around. I'm meh on the idea, but I could justify it.

My ideal situation would be to acquire Hardy and extend him instead, but whatever. I understand the reluctance on your part, but I'm honestly tired of thinking about shortstop at this point.

I'm liking Ryan a little more than Hardy, but I guess Ryan would cost too much. Hardy will work. I will be happy with him over Bartlett and Izturis.

I agree after watching Brendan Ryan highlights I really like his defense.Young guy who could improve with the bat

HA! Sorry, I'm in a cough-medicine-induced haze and I merged Hardy and Khalil Greene in my head :o

I don't really like Bartlett that much. Mweb, as you know, we've been in agreement about him being an overrated target.

However, if we trade for Bartlett and he walks next season, we're in the exact same situation again at the end of 2011. I'm honestly getting so sick of having to address SS over and over again that I'd lock up Bartlett at something like a 3/15 extension (through 2013) just to know that we had a capable SS in place until Machado comes around. I'm meh on the idea, but I could justify it.

My ideal situation would be to acquire Hardy and extend him instead, but whatever. I understand the reluctance on your part, but I'm honestly tired of thinking about shortstop at this point.

I would rather be in the same situation going forward with the possibility of getting someone who's actually good rather than Bartlett. Plus, I doubt it will be that hard to sign Bartlett next year if that's what they want to do.

Yes, Hardy is greatly preferred, and even if we don't get him, he may be a FA next off-season.

Archived