Source: Orioles Close To Signing Kevin Gregg To Two Year Deal

Brendan25

I think if you lose Hernandez you need another big hard thrower to compliment Gonzo, Koji, J.J. and maybe(for the time being) Britton. Id lose Hendrickson, Albers,ET AL for this bunch if we get Gregg.Im all for it.

Should anything be interpreted from this comment from Roy? I recall a recent note from him that a 'mind blowing' move could be made so I was wondering about this comment.......

• Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Should anything be interpreted from this comment from Roy? I recall a recent note from him that a 'mind blowing' move could be made so I was wondering about this comment.......

No, he's just saying that Britton will hopefully eventually be in the rotation but could be in the majors as a reliever in '11.

I am not a big fan of putting guys into the bullpen when they were successful starters. I think doing it the other way around is fine, but I am not a big fan of that either. I think the Orioles should have given Klein a chance to make it as a reliever out of the gate. I wish Britton was given the same opportunity.

On a side note, if Crain got a 3/$13M deal then I would not feel good about giving Gregg a 2/$12M deal. I would rather give Gregg a 3/$15M type deal if that is the case.

The White Sox get Crain and are in discussion with Wood. Crain, Wood, Dunn, and Konerko would be a good haul for them. They should win their division IMO.

Just so long as 2010 represents all of their true talent levels going forward.

Only one year ago that group was:

Crain - coming off his second 4.50+ ERA in three years.

Wood - 4.25 ERA with a walk every two innings

Konerko - hadn't had an .850 OPS in three years and was 33

Dunn - a .900+ OPS, but -32 fielding runs bringing his overall value down to <1 WAR

They're four pretty good players, don't get me wrong. But none of them are particularly young, and a year ago you probably could have gotten each of them at less than half their 2010 acquisition costs. If they were worth 15 wins as a group in 2010, my guess is that 7 or 8 is their likely 2011 contribution.

http://weblogs.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/blog/2010/12/market_for_relief_is_moving_fa.html

If the Orioles sign Gregg, they probably will look to add one more lefty reliever and that probably would be it for their bullpen additions. If they don't land Gregg - and I'll be honest, I was a little more optimistic about this happening at last week's winter meetings - they'll probably turn to trying to sign either Grant Balfour or Jon Rauch.

I'd rather have Balfour (unless hes a type A) or Rauch than Gregg..

Archived